What are these connectors under the 2nd row seats? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What are these connectors under the 2nd row seats?

GregV8

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 XLT
Mine is an XLT and these wires are not connected to anything. They are plugged into a dummy socket, i.e. just a holder.
Just under the 2nd row seats, one on each side. 4 wires in each connector.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I wonder if they are wiring for sensors that come with rear seat side airbags?

I think it is wiring harness for the bucket seats on the Limited if I am not mistaken

I think it is wiring harness for the bucket seats on the Limited if I am not mistaken

Do you mean the push-button fold bucket seats? That is the first thing that came to mind.

Isn't the power fold just the third row? This is the second row. I could be mistaken though on if it's power fold second row or not. I have an XLT and only messed with a limited once.

My guess was maybe a weight sensor for seat belt warning or to know if it should allow the seatbelt airbags to deploy as someone mentioned. My XLT came with the seat belt airbags but I am in Michigan and the Ex is in Kansas so I can't look to see if mine are connected any different.

I have the limited and only the third row is powered. I don't recall seeing this on mine but I'll double check and I do not have the inflatable seat belts. I'll let you guys know tomorrow.

I remember there was a post about heated seats in the 2nd row several months back. I am guessing there were some dealer only offers offering heated seats in the second row. I could be mistaken.

Those are likely wiring for the 2nd row bucket seats, which are power folding for easy access to the third row seats. It is seperate option for the limited.

Those are likely wiring for the 2nd row bucket seats, which are power folding for easy access to the third row seats. It is seperate option for the limited.

Pg 172 of the 2011 Owner's Manual details the '2nd row power fold and tumble seat (six–passenger vehicles only)'.

They aren't powerfold like the 3rd row is. It is more like a solenoid that releases the seat rear mounts and the seat tumbles forward like it has a spring moving it. It is kinda clunky, but it gets the job done. You have to manually fold the seat back up when you want to use it.

The power flip and fold seats are nice, I had them in my Taurus X previously. Unfortunately they are only available with the second row captains seating which I did not get.

Thats right where the module is that fires the inflatable 2nd row seat belts. Maybe compare it to an XLT without inflatable belts.

Hmmm.... forgot to consider the inflatable seat belts... it would seem the mystery is still afoot.

Reviving a really old thread - did you ever confirm this information? Just drove home a '13 Limited and there is a wiring harness dangling below the rear pax seat. No BLIS and no 2nd row electrically actuated seats. Probably just needs to be tucked back under?

Any idea what this goes to/does?

I have had my 2013 CPO Explorer XLT about a week and a half, but found this loose connector on the rear right side folding seat and curious what does it do/go to and is it important for the rear?

20150326_172550-M.jpg

20150326_172554-M.jpg

I'll check my XLT and see if I can help...

cwescapexlt4x4, using the Forum's 'Search' function, I found a similar thread and merged yours with it. Unfortunately the pictures posted at the beginning are no longer available. This is quite common when pictures are loaded here using a program other than the Forum's 'Manage Attachment' program which places them on our own servers.

Peter

Thanks, I see there were several ideas .. but no firm reply as to what this does/goes to. Hope in the time that has passed, we now know.

It isn't unusual to have a connector that does seem to go anywhere. Some wiring harnesses are made to be installed in various models regardless of which features they have. It's a cost cutting measure, I'm sure. See if there is a 'dummy' plug that might plug into like one of the posters mentioned. My guess is that they are likely for the 2nd row inflatable seat belts.

Peter

I have an XLT with BLIS and my connector is definitely plugged into the seat. The XLT doesn't have heated second row nor does it have second row power flip so I almost has to be BLIS (inflatable outboard seat belts).

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Isn't the power fold just the third row? This is the second row.

I think Limiteds with second row bucket seats have push-button power flip forward season. The button basically opens the latch and the seat springs forward. Closing them back is manual.

Back