Fuel Pump? Filter? What do you think? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fuel Pump? Filter? What do you think?

helpmeplz

Reaction score
City, State
MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer XLT
Hello.

First off I've tried searching around and getting more information, and I can't really figure out exactly what the problem is.

I've got a 1996 Explorer XLT with the SOHC 4.0L; 175k miles and the computer says I've got a bad EGR and number 3 is missing.

I drove it from Texas to California, and right about Yuma after about 8 hours of driving I filled it up and it would crank but not start. I gave it about 10 minutes and it started right back up and figured maybe I needed to swap the filter out and it was just an issue of the car not starting while hot.

This morning I went to leave San Diego for LA after having driven the car around town in San Diego for a couple of days without problems. Filled it up, same thing, cranking, but not turning over.

I called triple A, and the tow truck dude banged on the gas tank while I cranked it and it started right up. He said it was probably the fuel pump and not the filter, as he had been hitting the tank and not the filter. At that point though it was running good, and it made the drive up here to LA.

Parked it in front of my friends house, now it's not starting again. I've tried to bang on the tank, but I'm not sure exactly where the pump is in relation to the tank, and with that skid plate there its kinda hard to transfer enough force through it into the tank.

Now, the tow truck dude said it was most likely the pump, but the car didn't shut off at all while driving, and it didn't seem like it was missing any more than it had been.

Thoughts? Opinions? Suggestions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When you turn the key to "contact" (don't start the engine), you can hear the fuel pump starting. If it is working...
Fuel filter is easy to replace by yourself and needs to be done regulary - I would do that anyway. Just get a fuel filter removal tool.

Your fuel pump need replacing. My truck did the same thing, I had went to the store and when i came back out it would not start, I turn the key and listened for the fuel pump buzz and did not hear it. i took a hammer and whacked on the tank and then the truck started and drove for about a week before the pump completely died.

Could be either or neither. If she cranks but does not start, hit her with a little starting fluid (ether). If she suddenly starts but then dies in a few seconds, its no fuel. Procede with the above. If it starts and keeps running, its lack of enough battery current. Check connections and have battery checked. I couldn't tell the engine was turning any slower than normal, but that was the answer.

I've experience a fuel pump going out and it displayed the same type of intermitent starting issues. I'd replace the pump and the filter.

Back