• Register Today It's free!

Driver's Seat Bolts

Drummadude

Reaction score
City, State
Midwest
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Explorer XLT Blue
After numerous little fixes on the driver's seat airbag sensor plug, I decided I needed to get rid of the OEM plug because the contacts were flimsy. I took a seat out of a car for the first time! I cut off the switch and put in Male/Female disconnect plugs. I also added a few inches to each wire because I am tall and put the seat all the way back, stretching the connection.

I was wondering why the right rear bolt, with a sheet metal bracket, was a different size than the other three bolts. Is this normal for Explorers?

I had to use a star shaped ratchet because it was an abnormal diameter.

My dad just gave me his Explorer and lately I've been doing little projects although it would be a major improvement to start doing my own oil changes! ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Never noticed the different size bolts before, but if they are different sizes, I wouldn't think anything of it and just grab the correct size socket. I will have to check this out as I have LFC 33 again and will be taking out the driver seat. I will keep you posted.

Thanks BigRondo. I'll stand by. I had the three flash code of the airbag light a few times and originally thought it was because I am the first driver to put the seat as far back as possible. But my dad (average height) told me that was an ongoing problem.

Out of two socket wrench sets, I didn't have the right size, but a star bolt did work. I'll have to wait until I get some good driving to see if the fix worked. It did stop the code from flashing on ignition.

Using the female/male disconnects, I used on each side of the wires a male and female so the lines wouldn't get crossed, and marked with a silver Sharpie one connection. It would be better if I had a two contact single plug.

It's funny that I saw your post on the day I was thinking about eliminating the factory connector if that is the problem. I will mess with it one more time and if that doesn't fix it I will go from there.

FYI, what I noticed was that the wires going into the plug on both sides were directly attached to the metal prongs inside. However, those prongs were freely spinning around. A basic part of working on electrical stuff is that loose contacts are dangerous and don't conduct as well.

There is a red piece of plastic prohibiting the tab from being released. As if that was going to prevent the plug from disconnecting over 9 years!

After spending 5 hours in the baking sun installing hide-away LED's in my front turn lights and tail lights, I got the airbag light again.

Now I found out from "Car Complaints," a website, that there is also a passenger side connector. I never thought to check the other side. Ugh.

After spending 5 hours in the baking sun installing hide-away LED's in my front turn lights and tail lights, I got the airbag light again.

Now I found out from "Car Complaints," a website, that there is also a passenger side connector. I never thought to check the other side. Ugh.

LFC 33 is for the driver side. LFC 34 is for the passenger side.

LFC 33 is for the driver side. LFC 34 is for the passenger side.

:thumbsup: Thanks a lot! This sure saved me from wasting my time. I used 12 AWG wire while the stock wire is a lot thinner. Although I used some disconnect plugs, I did the ole "twist and tape" to lengthen the wires.

The code is cleared now, but if it comes back, I will definitely get 14 or 16 AWG wire and maybe a Molex connector.

Glad you got it sorted. I'm gonna tackle this this weekend. Getting sick of looking at the air bag light again.

Got the LFC 33 sorted out. It was a pinched wire going to the seatbelt buckle. Last time I fixed it I basically had no idea what it was. Next time it happens, I'll know exactly what to look for.

Side note. All bolts for the driver's seat in my Ex are the same size. Don't remember what size, but all four of them are the same size.

Back