• Register Today It's free!

1st gen with 4.10 gears??

matts91XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Summerfield Nc
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
did they ever make a 1st gen with 4.10s in em? i want to re-gear and if i can find a set of junk yard axels with 4.10s in em it would save me alot!:exp:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes they did, the axle code is D2 for a limited slip, 42 for an open differential. There are actually 3 within an hour from me in salvage yards with 4.10 gears.

what rig would those gears come from. (the 4.10 gears for ford 8.8)

i thought they only came in 2nd gens:dunno:

Second gens and early 2000 Rangers irc.

oh wait, maybe you are right.... I was probably looking for second gen rear ends when I found those... But, the parts search for the salvage yard shows it as an option even for the first gens.... but that might be wrong too.

I know they were an option but very rare.

it was xlt automatic

Sweet.all the ones i ever hear about seem to have been special ordered.i would still swap a 2nd gen rearend in with 4.10 even if i found one with it

The owners manual for 1st gens lists the 4.10's, and other odd ratios like the 3.08. There have been 2WD first gens found with the 3.08, but none with 4.10's, at least not yet.

Ford may have made a few 4WD's with 4.10 front and rear, but likely not many. My guess would be that the ones that had the 4.10 were 2WD, and so they just had the easily available 4.10's for the 8.8.

Most first gens had either 3.27 (standard) or 3.73 ("performance axle" option) gears.

i'm not sure if it's stock or not, but my truck has a 4.10 in the back. it's a 5speed sport. i find it unlikely that the guy who sold it to me would have been able to successfully swap in a rear axle without breaking something else though.

4.10 rears for first gen 2wd's I have seen in the yards, but I've had a heck of a time hunting down a front pumpkin that is stuffed with them. Maybe one day.

i stuffed 4.56 gears in mine. they look massive in the casings but they work great. i think i got them on some mustang website. if i can remember they werent more than 250. and mine is limited slip

Back