Explorer doesn't seem to be charging :( | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer doesn't seem to be charging :(

MEANEXPLODER

Reaction score
City, State
HADDAM, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 XLT
I have a 93 explorer 4.0 auto and it doesn't seem to be charging. I have replaced solenoid on pass fender, alternator and checked continuity all throughout harness that goes to all of the plugs on the alternator including the large power wire w the fusible link and have little to no resistance in all. There is a plug that it attaches to down by the front of the air cleaner and one wire goes to the underhood fuse box and the other goes in to another harness that I can't tell where it goes. The only red flag i have is I forgot to disconnect the bAttery when I removed the original alternator and I it made quite a spark when I went remove the black withe orange strip wire from the alternator. The number 16 fuse under the hood is good as well. I'm lost please help.

Also I noticed that the volt gauge in the cluster pegs itself at about the 10 or 11 o'clock position intermittently.

Ground strap was broken from the back of the dr side head to the firewall... just when you think you checked everything.... Duh

Back