Sway Bar Links Vanished?

ERUSH97XLT

Reaction score
City, State
Omaha, NE
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 XLT, 03 XLT, 13 XLT
Hello,

Just had a free tire rotation on my '01 Explorer (deal with new tires), and the technicians told me my front sway bar links were missing.... :scratch:

I replaced them about a year ago with Moogs, tightened them so the biscuits were slightly compressed, used thread locker on the nuts, and now they're gone..... :dunno:

Could both of them have sheared off and fallen through the lower control arm? I don't 4-wheel or abuse any of my vehicles, I'm just curious why both would have simply vanished... The only thing that comes to mind is the heads sheared off and the rest just fell out...

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

ERUSH

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Maybe this is just the paranoid guy in me but maybe someone stole them??

I can't really see it being worth it for anyone but I guess you can never underestimate the stupidity of thieves.

I can't imagine they'd shake or shear off.

on my 04 explorer which is my daily driver one side sheered off. it happens

Thanks for the replies. I thought they might have been stolen by the shop, because I know the Moog links are thicker than the Motorcraft ones, and I used thread locker, so they couldn't have vibrated off. I've been told that if one sheared off, the pressure on the other is released, so theoretically only one should break off...

I have no evidence the shop stole them, just suspicion. They're cheap to replace from RockAuto.com, so it's not a huge problem, just an annoyance.

Regards,

ERUSH

links break, then they fall out of the vehicle. i doubt anybody would steal links.

Just seems unlikely two 7/16" grade 5 thread locked bolts could break or fall out.

Todays market value for brand new Moog K7275 front link kits are $8.53 each @ Amazon.

Just seems unlikely two 7/16" grade 5 thread locked bolts could break or fall out[...]

+1

They're both gone... Roads around here are easy going for Explorers, except during pot-hole season. I replaced them both when the Motorcraft ones broke...

But two breaking? Seems highly improbable due to suspension stress.

Just wanted to pick your brains about this. They're cheap to replace, so it's not a big deal.

Thanks,

ERUSH

they break. and you cant even tell when.

just look how much weight and tension is on them.

I had a brand new tire "disappear" on my fiance's 85 Nova many years ago when she took it in for an oil change special a week after she purchased four new tires. The shop ticket said "needs a new front tire". She thought they were trying to scam her since she was a woman and ignored it. When I was checking her tires a week later prior to a road trip I noticed the bald tire! I confronted the Firestone manger who of course denied it. I made it a point to tell everyone in the waiting room what they had done (A few walked out) before the cops showed up. The cop was cool and said he belived me, but there was nothing he could do as it was a civil matter. I made it a point to tell everyone I knew to avoid that particular Firestone shop for many many years.

My point is that don't put it by some shops to try to screw you, as they expect most people to have very limited knowledge of cars. Luckely you can replace your end links, but I would look at that shop with suspicious eyes as that is too soon a time to loose two new end links....I could be wrong, but just my two cents!!

For what its worth, decided to go check mine after seeing your post & found 1 broken! Bottom nut sheared off, missing 1 grommet. Didnt look like had happened too long ago as the broken metal was still a little shiny, but hasnt been offroad at all this summer.

Was a cheapy bought on vacation last year at autozone after busting in McCollough mountains of WY. They must have got the memo to update that part because waranty replacement was much heavier with thicker bolt & nylon locking nut with black rubber. Think list showed $10.

Sounds like your shop was not trying to screw you....good to hear! Luckely it is an easy fix.

I had a brand new tire "disappear" on my fiance's 85 Nova many years ago when she took it in for an oil change special a week after she purchased four new tires. The shop ticket said "needs a new front tire". She thought they were trying to scam her since she was a woman and ignored it. When I was checking her tires a week later prior to a road trip I noticed the bald tire! I confronted the Firestone manger who of course denied it. I made it a point to tell everyone in the waiting room what they had done (A few walked out) before the cops showed up. The cop was cool and said he belived me, but there was nothing he could do as it was a civil matter. I made it a point to tell everyone I knew to avoid that particular Firestone shop for many many years.

My point is that don't put it by some shops to try to screw you, as they expect most people to have very limited knowledge of cars. Luckely you can replace your end links, but I would look at that shop with suspicious eyes as that is too soon a time to loose two new end links....I could be wrong, but just my two cents!!

Not being argumentative, but even dealing with people with the shop expects to have very limited knowledge of cars, I don't think there's anyone in the world who wouldn't realize they just got new tires put on the previous week, and it's also pretty easy to tell the difference between week old tires and a bald replacement. Why would you automatically assume it was the shop doing an oil change a week later? Unless you physically watched the car every minute of every day for the entire week, or you checked the tires the day you took it in for the rotation, that's a pretty tall accusation. Some people just always look for the bad in people.
Back in 2004, my now ex girlfriend and I went on an overnight trip to the backwoods of Kentucky. She's from there, I'm not. I don't mean the "touristy" backwoods part of Kentucky, either. I mean the part where when her brother told me "you ever hurt my sister, they won't ever find your body" and I had no reason to doubt him. Anyway...
We took our two week old 2004 Honda Accord on the trip. I came out of the hotel the next morning to an empty parking space. After surveying the situation for a few seconds, I figured out that it had definitely been stolen. I didn't automatically assume the Honda dealer had stolen it, wanting us to buy another one. Called the police, who insisted on repeatedly calling it a Hyundai, not honda, seemed more concerned about why we were there, and were basically helpless. Our insurance company really went above and beyond, paying for a rental car to get us back home. In that area, the ride of choice, I remember quite fondly, was a 1995 Ford Windstar van with no a/c, taxi lettering still on the door, but painted over with black paint (on a red van) and 470k on the clock. The rental place had that or a similarly aged V6 regular cab Dodge Dakota. USAA paid for us to get that, get it home to Ohio, rented us a better car, and paid costs to get the windstar BACK to Kentucky.

Again, sorry for the long winded ramble. This response was supposed to only be about two lines long. lol.
Side thread, but if anyone has ever had a car stolen, that feeling ranks way up there as one of the worst feelings, and the weirdest feelings possible.

Back