OEM Hankook Tires, Like or Dislike | Page 6 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

OEM Hankook Tires, Like or Dislike

I don't like that I have foreign tires on my new american made vehicle. Nothing against the hankooks that are on it now, but I assume they are a cheap tire, which is why ford decided to put them on.

Goodyear will trade the tires straight up with equivalent goodyears if the tires have less than 500 miles on them. All I have to pay for is the balancing and mounting.
After initially reading all the customer reviews on Hankook tires, I put Yokohama Parada Spec-X tires on my Limited the day I picked it up from the dealer. The tire shop gave me $85 per tire for the Hankooks. Most other shops wouldn't give me anything for them. The Spec-X have a more aggressive tread and are very quiet. They also have a directional tread.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I hate to break this to you, but half your car is probably made from parts from overseas. That's just how the global economy works nowadays!

You are probably right, but tires are a part i can control. I guess what I was wanting to know was if there is some sort of design issue with the hankooks that maximized gas mileage or ride comfort that other tires may not have when used on the Ex.

You are probably right, but tires are a part i can control. I guess what I was wanting to know was if there is some sort of design issue with the hankooks that maximized gas mileage or ride comfort that other tires may not have when used on the Ex.
Go to tirerack.com and read the reviews on the Hankook H426. One of the complaints is premature tire wear.

Go to tirerack.com and read the reviews on the Hankook H426. One of the complaints is premature tire wear.

Thanks. Just checked out the reviews of the hankooks.....not good at all. I will be replacing them. Other than that my Ex is badass!

I've had my EX limited now for about 4 months with the Hankooks on it. My tires have only been in hot weather (very hot) but have worked very well with no wear issues or strange handling of the truck. In a perfect world, I wish they were American tires, and unclear why Ford picked Hankooks vs something else.

Just for the record, your EX is 85% american parts, designed by americans and backed by an american company were the profits go into community. There are very few vehicles that are more amercian than the 2011 Explorer.

Of all the post I have read in the forum in the last 4 or 5 months, I can't remember one that talked about the Hankooks early wear issues on an Explorer, or poor handling characteristics or failure of a tire. You will find that people on the forum are not shy; if they had tire issues, there is not a lack of energy to describe them in infinite detail.

So for me, whether I have Korean tires (Hankooks), French tires (Michelin), Japanese tires (Firestone/Bridgestone) or American tires (Goodyear) is a personal choice. Changing tires, for me, is not backed up by data on Explorers that I have seen.

Where are you guys seeing reviews on these tires?

I've had my EX limited now for about 4 months with the Hankooks on it. My tires have only been in hot weather (very hot) but have worked very well with no wear issues or strange handling of the truck. In a perfect world, I wish they were American tires, and unclear why Ford picked Hankooks vs something else.

Just for the record, your EX is 85% american parts, designed by americans and backed by an american company were the profits go into community. There are very few vehicles that are more amercian than the 2011 Explorer.

Of all the post I have read in the forum in the last 4 or 5 months, I can't remember one that talked about the Hankooks early wear issues on an Explorer, or poor handling characteristics or failure of a tire. You will find that people on the forum are not shy; if they had tire issues, there is not a lack of energy to describe them in infinite detail.

So for me, whether I have Korean tires (Hankooks), French tires (Michelin), Japanese tires (Firestone/Bridgestone) or American tires (Goodyear) is a personal choice. Changing tires, for me, is not backed up by data on Explorers that I have seen.

I was also worried about the poor reviews of the Hankook tires (i was also worried as it had never heard of the company), but decided to give them a try. I haven't had a problem yet. We shall see come winter, but so far so good.

Thanks. Just checked out the reviews of the hankooks.....not good at all. I will be replacing them. Other than that my Ex is badass!

Unless you are reading reviews from Explorer owners (Hint: there are none on there), you are making wrong assumptions. Most of the reviews of the Optimo H426s on there are from Hyundai Sonata and other mid-size passenger sedans. The H426 for the Explorer was designed from the ground up specifically for the Explorer. I have over 8,000 miles on mine and have been nothing but happy with them. They are extremely quiet and have a comfortable ride. I'll make a final judgement once winter hits, but those around here that had them last year seemed to think they did quite well in snow.

FWIW, I have another vehicle that I put Hankook Ventus V4 (different Hankook model than the X, I know). But that is to say we're ok with our 2012 X LMT coming with the "Hankook" brand.

Note: My Ventus's are on chrome so I won't be using them during the winters here in the northeast. I go back to OEM rims/tires :))

Agree w/ others that if the Hankooks on our X don't cut the mustard, I'll drive hard and wear them out fast so we can replace them. Or I'll just tell my wife they are not safe and she'll cough up some money real quick since the X will be our family vehicle, LOL!!!

I like and rely on user reviews to a certain point. However, reviews for products like these with no easily available professional reviews are really susceptible to bias that may have no foundation in reality (especially based on marketing (never heard of them) and country of origin (Korea/ Japanese products were thought to be cheaply made and low tech when I was younger)).

Case in point, people tend to LOVE Michelin (French) tires and Michelin does an outstanding job with marketing (e.g., Michelin man/baby driving a tire). However, good marketing does not mean good products. The reality is that Michelin uses hard rubber compounds that are about a decade behind Goodyear's rubber technology.

Good example of marketing creating a false perception of quality is people who spend a ton of money on Monster cables because they are sure they hear a difference (the emperor has no clothes: don't waste your money on expensive speaker of HDMI cables as blind studies have proven it makes zero difference) or brand name clothes (my wife loves to criticize the "poor" construction of my Costco dress shirts AFTER she sees the label but can't tell the difference before).

Hankook (along with Goodyear and Yokohama) recently won a prestigious tire industry award (the Tire Technology International Award) for its products, technology investment and growth).

While I personally prefer Goodyear tires because of its good materials and tire technology (also because it is an American company that I have some ties to (so I am also BIASED)), I have no problem with the Hankooks on my explorer.

unless you are reading reviews from explorer owners (hint: There are none on there), you are making wrong assumptions. Most of the reviews of the optimo h426s on there are from hyundai sonata and other mid-size passenger sedans. The h426 for the explorer was designed from the ground up specifically for the explorer. I have over 8,000 miles on mine and have been nothing but happy with them. They are extremely quiet and have a comfortable ride. I'll make a final judgement once winter hits, but those around here that had them last year seemed to think they did quite well in snow.

+1

It has been my experience that OEM tires are usually selected to sell the vehicle they are on. As a result, they are built for quietness and comfort and therefore may be made of a softer compound that wears faster. Having been a member of the Toyotanation forum, I can attest to the fact that there were many complaints regarding the lack of treadlife of the Highlander's OEM Toyo tires.

Unless you are reading reviews from Explorer owners (Hint: there are none on there), you are making wrong assumptions. Most of the reviews of the Optimo H426s on there are from Hyundai Sonata and other mid-size passenger sedans. The H426 for the Explorer was designed from the ground up specifically for the Explorer. I have over 8,000 miles on mine and have been nothing but happy with them. They are extremely quiet and have a comfortable ride. I'll make a final judgement once winter hits, but those around here that had them last year seemed to think they did quite well in snow.

I like and rely on user reviews to a certain point. However, reviews for products like these with no easily available professional reviews are really susceptible to bias that may have no foundation in reality (especially based on marketing (never heard of them) and country of origin (Korea/ Japanese products were thought to be cheaply made and low tech when I was younger)).

Case in point, people tend to LOVE Michelin (French) tires and Michelin does an outstanding job with marketing (e.g., Michelin man/baby driving a tire). However, good marketing does not mean good products. The reality is that Michelin uses hard rubber compounds that are about a decade behind Goodyear's rubber technology.

Good example of marketing creating a false perception of quality is people who spend a ton of money on Monster cables because they are sure they hear a difference (the emperor has no clothes: don't waste your money on expensive speaker of HDMI cables as blind studies have proven it makes zero difference) or brand name clothes (my wife loves to criticize the "poor" construction of my Costco dress shirts AFTER she sees the label but can't tell the difference before).

Hankook (along with Goodyear and Yokohama) recently won a prestigious tire industry award (the Tire Technology International Award) for its products, technology investment and growth).

While I personally prefer Goodyear tires because of its good materials and tire technology (also because it is an American company that I have some ties to (so I am also BIASED)), I have no problem with the Hankooks on my explorer.

That's why I was asking where the negative reviews are coming from. The TR reviews are all passenger cars and not on 20" wheels as well. Hard to use opinions of everyday Joes in Hyundai Eco cars IMHO.

So far I like the Hankooks and I'm a real tire snob. Not an American tire snob, but I appreciate a good tire period. We only have about a hundred miles on the tires so far and no rain experience yet.

With almost 19,000 miles on my new Limited, with the Hankook tires, and a few snow storms in Feb/March, they are doing great. Wear is has been just fine, as expected. They were rotated at about the 10,000 mile mark. Will rotate again soon. I expect to get 40-45,000 miles on them, and will then look for new tires (same or replacements).

Since these are very unique sizes (255/50/20) there are not many offerings. Maybe in another year from now (when I need new tires) there will be more choices. If I had to replace with today's choices, I'd get the Bridgestone Alenza's.

Interesting all this talk about Hankook tires. Mt EX came with Michelin Latitude's (perhaps due to the fact is is only 2WD and not AWD). They seem to be very good so far, but am not convinced that they will a solid winter tire. Anyone else have the Michelin's and what are thier thougths.

20" tires? i think all the people talking about the hankooks have 20" tires.

Interesting all this talk about Hankook tires. Mt EX came with Michelin Latitude's (perhaps due to the fact is is only 2WD and not AWD). They seem to be very good so far, but am not convinced that they will a solid winter tire. Anyone else have the Michelin's and what are thier thougths.

20" tires? i think all the people talking about the hankooks have 20" tires.
I believe only the Limited comes with the 20" Hankook tires. The XLT models have the 18" Michelin Latitude tires. Not sure what the base model 17" tires are.

That's why I was asking where the negative reviews are coming from. The TR reviews are all passenger cars and not on 20" wheels as well. Hard to use opinions of everyday Joes in Hyundai Eco cars IMHO.

So far I like the Hankooks and I'm a real tire snob. Not an American tire snob, but I appreciate a good tire period. We only have about a hundred miles on the tires so far and no rain experience yet.
Since Hanlook did not change the model number of the tire, H426, I assume it is the identical tire made in the 20" size. I would think if a manufacturer made structural changes to an existing tire, they would give it a new model number to distinguish it from the previous one.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 20" are optional on the XLTs. I have the polished 20s with the Hankooks.

I personally like the Hankooks. As someone else mentioned the ride is very quiet and very comfortable/smooth but feel they handle well for a SUV.

df269a7d.jpg

I believe only the Limited comes with the 20" Hankook tires. The XLT models have the 18" Michelin Latitude tires. Not sure what the base model 17" tires are.

Back