Steering wheel audio control | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Steering wheel audio control

Nice write-up, very helpful!! I actually did finish the swap in my '07 XLT *without* cutting and splicing, soldering, and using anything but plug and play factory connectors. I simply acquired the entire steering wheel with harness and OEM radio from an '08 explorer that came with the steering wheel controls, removed the airbag, plugged in the harness and installed the radio and they work flawlessly.

So guys, it can be done quite easily! The parts are easy to find on eBay and very cheap, I found the steering wheel without air bag for about $20 and the radio WITH the chrome knobs (which we know the '07 doesn't have) for about $70. It doesn't matter what color steering wheel you find anyway because you are only using the harness, and the chrome knobs look a lot better too. All in all a very easy and inexpensive upgrade that is just plug and play.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ebay was the first place I checked. And I was surprised to find only one steering wheel on there this week that would work for around $100. If I hadn't been in a hurry to get this job done before my new deck shows up, I would have waited it out to find one on ebay. I didn't pursue finding a harness very far, but it looks as though certain Expedition/Navigator vehicles *MAY* use the same connectors on the steering wheel harness.

Ebay was the first place I checked. And I was surprised to find only one steering wheel on there this week that would work for around $100. If I hadn't been in a hurry to get this job done before my new deck shows up, I would have waited it out to find one on ebay. I didn't pursue finding a harness very far, but it looks as though certain Expedition/Navigator vehicles *MAY* use the same connectors on the steering wheel harness.

Thanks for that post Box.. I purchase the same audio control
pad but had not done the harness yet. I just installed a Kenwood 9980HD
head unit so it will be nice to have steering wheel control.

Thanks much! Just ordered my harness with your part number. :thumbsup:

Nice write-up, very helpful!! I actually did finish the swap in my '07 XLT *without* cutting and splicing, soldering, and using anything but plug and play factory connectors. I simply acquired the entire steering wheel with harness and OEM radio from an '08 explorer that came with the steering wheel controls, removed the airbag, plugged in the harness and installed the radio and they work flawlessly.

So guys, it can be done quite easily! The parts are easy to find on eBay and very cheap, I found the steering wheel without air bag for about $20 and the radio WITH the chrome knobs (which we know the '07 doesn't have) for about $70. It doesn't matter what color steering wheel you find anyway because you are only using the harness, and the chrome knobs look a lot better too. All in all a very easy and inexpensive upgrade that is just plug and play.
'

i just tried installing mines with the factory wires like you,

for some reason the audio controls will not light up! :( WHY!!!

everything seems to be wired up properly. i have a aftermarket deck and a unit to be able to use the stock audio controls

just noticed i have to get my car programmed to know to look for the audio controls? could someone confirm this? i called the ford dealership down here, he is basically only telling me that its 140 per hour ( so 140 to take a look at it, and from there they will look into how to make it work)

junk!!!

I desparately need to know how to program my car. I dont want to go to the dealership and pay 200+ to have them program my car. if anyone knows how and the process doesn't require me buying expensive units to make it work, i am willing to pay for the info via paypal!

before i reread this post, i was pretty sad to see it not working. i was wondering why it wasn't lighting up.. :(

This is what I know about the steering wheel audio control (in order to get the switch light up and possibly have the steering wheel remote work). The good thing is that all the wiring is in place, the bad thing is that if you have a stock radio that was not programmed to have the steering wheel option, you are going to have to have it programmed for it. It was easy for me, because I have the navigation radio that I got off Ebay, and all you have to do is hold the 2 and 5 button down to see the diagnostics, and you can find out whether or not the radio has been programmed to do so. If not, then you can send it somewhere to get programmed, or go to your local Ford Dealership. The problem with wiring is, you have to get a separate wiring harness, from the Ford Dealership, which is different from the harness you have in your steering wheel in general. The harness in your steering wheel connects only to the cruise control, while in Explorers with steering wheel remotes, it connects to both the cruise control and the audio remote control. Nonetheless, to do this you have to remove the steering wheel, but first disable the power to your car so the airbag doesn't go off. Those comfortable with it, it should be a piece of cake, those not (like me, we would need someone to help us do it "which I have not yet," these are the instructions that blu mi ci 5 gave me, he seems to be pretty smart in this field.

If you follow the instructions, it's pretty easy, maybe a 4 on a 1 to 10 scale. I did it on my car no problem but I do this kind of stuff all the time, I'll give you the instructions but do it at your own risk (air bags must be treated with respect).
1) Turn all vehicle accessories off
2) Turn ignition sw to off
3) Under the dash on the left you'll see the RCM (Restraints control module), unplug the #17 fuse which is a 10 Amp fuse.
4) Turn the ignition on and watch the air bag indicator for at least 30 seconds. You should get a solid light (no blinking and it shouldn't turn off). If it's not illuminated you pulled the wrong fuse...do not proceed until the correct fuse is pulled!
5) Turn ignition to off
6) VERY IMPORTANT-disconnect the negative terminal from the battery and wait a MINIMUM OF 60 SECONDS. (This will deplete the back up power supply of the air bag)
7) After waiting the 60 seconds you can now remove and disconnect the air bag. (2 7mm screws hold the air bag to the wheel.)
8) Remove the horn assembly and then the old wire harness. (When re-installing the horn be sure you don't kink the rubber isolators or else it might squeak)

To reinstall
1) Install wire harness, switch, horn, and air bag
2) Turn ignition switch from off to on
3) Re-install the 10 Amp fuse
4) (Make sure no one is sitting in front of the air bag at this stage) Connect the battery cable.
5) Turn ignition sw from On to Off and wait 10 seconds, then turn it back to On. The air bag light should light for 6 seconds then turn Off. You're all set at this point, start the radio and see if it works.
Cheers

I just pulled my air bag module off to read the part number and there is no Ford part number on it. I think there is only a supplier part number on it, it is C-898-0166-00. I think if you go to the dealership and tell them that you need the harness for the audio controls then they should be able to get the right one for you. The harness you have today only has 2 connectors and two grounds, the one you want has 3 connectors and two grounds. (For reference my old 2 connector harness was part number C-821-0166-00)

First let me reiterate that the switch will illuminate but it won't control the radio. The stock radio XLT is not configured to "look" for the steering wheel switch, thus the only thing you can do is to install a new wire harness and new switch to get the illumination effect. If you want to put the switch in without the illumination effect then you can simply take a small flat head screw driver and carefully pry out the delete plate and then swap in a new switch. (You can use switch part number 7L1T-9E740-AA)

To put in a wire harness means that you have to take the air bag module out. I really wouldn't recommend that to a do it yourselfer.

Let me know if I can help with any other questions.

Glad I could help. The old harness only goes to the horn and the cruise switch, so the old harness will NOT light up your radio switch. The new harness connects both switches together. (They share the same illumination circuits through the clock spring)

I hope that helps. Good luck at the other dealership.

The dealership won't be able to program the radio. The radio repair centers for Ford are going to be the ones who can do it. Here in Colorado the company is called PDA. The parts guys at your dealer should be able to tell you who they're using for radio repairs. As far as the lighting goes it is not controlled by the radio. If your cruise switch lights up then the audio controls should as well. They use the same circuit.

The dealership won't be able to program the radio. The radio repair centers for Ford are going to be the ones who can do it. Here in Colorado the company is called PDA. The parts guys at your dealer should be able to tell you who they're using for radio repairs. As far as the lighting goes it is not controlled by the radio. If your cruise switch lights up then the audio controls should as well. They use the same circuit.

this really sucks. well i took my car down to a dealership in my town, they said that my car does not have a audio control module and the only way to flash it is by flashing the computer. they said they coudlnt' get their computer to communicate with the car. :(

going to be doing this mod this week, let you guys know if i have any luck as well...i have a question how do you turn off the accessories to the vehicle

For those of us who already have the factory set up to change the switch is it a simple plug and play? meaning do I have to take the airbag out to change the audio swith?

Does anyone know if the '94 XLT had audio controls as an option, or is that too early a model for that?

Audio control buttons on steering wheel

I have 2008 Model Ford explorer, having issue with Audio control buttons located on steering. Behavior of control buttons is intermittent and malfunctioning such as volume control changing track when CD on play etc…each button behavior is not as per its function.
Many thanks in advance if someone teach me how to resolve the issue.

Old thread but i figure there are still a few people out there dealing with this, i managed to find the audio switch and original wiring harness from a wrecked explorer, i have already installed it but i use an aftermarket stereo, is this now as easy as installing one of those PAC audio interface to the radio? thank you.

Audio steering wheel control

Box or any other modders, have you been able to get the audio controls to work with an aftermarket stereo? From all the wiring diagrams I see they do not show how the wires from the steering wheel get to the radio. I have new radio coming next week along with the switch(eBay from a bone yard). Plan on adding a harness as "Box" showed and I guess I will see if it all works.

Got mine working with the idatalink maestro SW.

Got mine working with the idatalink maestro SW.

Thanks for the info man, I'm about to try to install steering wheel controls on my explorer and I have a pioneer headunit.
Do you have any deatails or hints as to how/where you wired in the idatalink maestro SW?
Thanks

Snakehn
So which model idatalink maestro SW did you install
I looked on there website but my China radio is not listed
Can you describe how you put the install together
Know you feel good about making something that didn't want to work, but still made it happen
Thanks and congrats on the job

I am planing to buy JVC arsenal KW-v620BT. It is compatible with most factory steering wheel audio controls. If I install steering audio control and harness will it work? You guys are experts and need your advice. I have 2006 Ford Explorer XLT

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Anyone know if 2008 steering wheel with controls will fit 2006 EB?

Back