• Register Today It's free!

02 Mountaineer Bearings

JimMountaineer

Reaction score
City, State
Omaha, NE
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 Mountaineer
I need to replace the front and rear bearings on my 02 Mountaineer. At the parts store, I saw that I could buy the entire hub assembly, or just the bearings.
Is it easier to change out the whole assembly, or is it easier to just press on new bearings?
And what is the reason that someone would do one over the other? What situation constitues an entire assembly change, vs. just the bearings alone?
Thanks!!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Fronts are assemblies that are required to changed as an assembly

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194002

The rear bearings are pressed in. The assembly consists of the hub (part that the wheel bolts to), the bearing and a snap ring

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=251915

I would replace the hub and the bearing for the rears. Originally Ford would only supply the hub/bearing/snap ring assy for the rears, but once the TSB came out they would supply the bearing only. Some have reported that their rear bearings failed again when they only replaced the bearing. The hub can have damage that is difficult to see by eye and cause damage to the newly installed bearing.

either front or rear can have just the bearing replaced. U just need a press. Cost is the reason people may change just the bearing, unless the hub is damaged. If you don't have a press, or the time to deal with it you may opt to do the assy.

i did the whole assbly on my 04 i dint front pass and driver side. i spent $200 and three hours.

I did the front and rears on my 02 explorer... IIRC the front kits were bolt ons. I took the hubs off to make it easier. Those three screws were a PITA with the hubs on the car. As for the rears, I took the hubs down to the local machine shop and they pressed the old ones out and the new ones in for $30. About a day of work, beer time included.

either front or rear can have just the bearing replaced. U just need a press. Cost is the reason people may change just the bearing, unless the hub is damaged. If you don't have a press, or the time to deal with it you may opt to do the assy.

Rocco123,
I have a press, and I have pressed the rear bearings, I see autozone has just the bearings, For 15 bucks. have you pressed these bearing in before? is there 1 or 2 bearings in each hub?

thanks for any info

Back