• Register Today It's free!

Exhaust helpp

bsquared25

Reaction score
City, State
franklin, tn
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 eddie bauer edition
ive got a 02 v8 4.6L 8cyl and im looking for a loud deep throaty growl but i dont want it to be the loudest thing on the planet but i do wanna make a statement so should i go with a glasspack or straight pipe?
and also a guy at the dealership was talking some crap and said that doing anything to the exhaust will take the gas mileage down is that true bc i think he was full of crap.

give me yalls idea!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Personaly I like the flowmaster 40, it gives it a deep rumble, but not deafening, most guys on here have the FM 40. An that sounds like crap to me, the exhaust dont realy affect mpgs

I have a 1994 ford explorer 4.0L v6 me and my grandpa installed a cherrybomb glasspack about 2 years ago sounds awsome its not horrible loud but it aint quiet it sounds real nice after couple years and it sounds real nice taking off and giving the gas pedel hell at idle it has a good throughty sound. I dont think guy at dealership knew a damn thing. The glasspack actually gives and frees up some horse, tourq and mpg not a big amount you probly wont even notice all that much but glasspacks are good. I dont recomend strait pipe as you will burn up your vaulves. sorry bout all the typing

I dont recomend strait pipe as you will burn up your vaulves. sorry bout all the typing

why does it burn valves?

I am partial to the Magnaflow catback.

Personaly I like the flowmaster 40, it gives it a deep rumble, but not deafening, most guys on here have the FM 40. An that sounds like crap to me, the exhaust dont realy affect mpgs

wait isnt flowmaster 40 and fm40 the same thing? cause you said it sounds good to you but then you said it sounded like crap?

wait isnt flowmaster 40 and fm40 the same thing? cause you said it sounds good to you but then you said it sounded like crap?

Yes those are the same thing. He is saying that he thinks that the part about "modifying exhaust hurts mpg" sounds like crap.

I am also a fan of the Magnaflow catback.

i got 40 series flowmasters on my 01 sport and i love it

I have a 2.5" Dynomax SuperTurbo. Only loud when you trounce it...

i have the 4.6 v8 and i have the flowmaster 40 series with the second cats cut out. it sounds amazing. quiet when cruzing but it has a great rumble when you get on it. you will be happy with that rout. if you choose to take it.

I have a 4.6 with the FM 70 and love it. It might be a little quiet for your taste, so a FM 50 would be good and the 40 without question ought to make some noise;)

I have a 1994 ford explorer 4.0L v6 me and my grandpa installed a cherrybomb glasspack about 2 years ago sounds awsome its not horrible loud but it aint quiet it sounds real nice after couple years and it sounds real nice taking off and giving the gas pedel hell at idle it has a good throughty sound. I dont think guy at dealership knew a damn thing. The glasspack actually gives and frees up some horse, tourq and mpg not a big amount you probly wont even notice all that much but glasspacks are good. I dont recomend strait pipe as you will burn up your vaulves. sorry bout all the typing

what do you mean it will burn up my vaulves?

what do you mean it will burn up my vaulves?

I think this is what he is saying, but it's not entirely true.

Let's say you took off all your exhaust and only have manifolds on, nothing else and it's below freezing. Your motor is warmed up to operating temps and then you turn it off. What happens is the cold air will enter the manifolds and cool the valves too fast, causing them to become warped. I would say this is rare.

Now if you run straight exhaust all the way out the back, you won't have any problems because people run straight exhaust all the time and the it will take a while for cool air to make it back up. My first truck had the exhaust cut off right where the trans bolted up and I never had any issues in the two years it was like that. Loud as a ****, but sounded sweet at WOT:D

Hey all, i have a 2002 xls 4.0 4x4 and was wondering about exhaust.
does anyone know what size pipes the stock exhaust has?
and has anyone ever had any experience with the flowmaster 44 or 40?
any suggestions?

Hey all, i have a 2002 xls 4.0 4x4 and was wondering about exhaust.
does anyone know what size pipes the stock exhaust has?
and has anyone ever had any experience with the flowmaster 44 or 40?
any suggestions?

Stock size is 2.25" and a 40-44 series FM will be loud. If you don't want crazy, a 50 series would be good and for quietness with a little FM tone, a 70 would be your pick.

Back