Paid too much???

natlmatch

Reaction score
City, State
North houston
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 XLT Explorer
Heya All,

Well my mechanic just informed me that I had a major problem with the rear brake system on my 150,000 mile, 05 'Splorer. For $1400 he replaced

1) both rear rotors and brake pads
2) replaced the hardware and brake shoes for the parking brake system as it looks like someone has been driving with the parking brake on and it ate away at the rotor (I can almost guarentee it was the former owners wife, I wont go into details). he also said it was so work on one side that the brake show had broken off and was lodged against the rotor.
3) pulled the rear passenger side axel as there was 1/8" of play in the bearing so he replaced all the bearings on that side
4) flush and fill the brake system with new fluid
5) replace the Differential fluid

While I'm no ASE I felt like it was a bit much but this guy has been pretty good in the past so I'm going to let him do it. I called around and found a places cheaper but I'm not familiar with them so I'm sticking w/my Mech for this job. Should I ask him to replace the bearings on the driver side too?

Regards,

NM

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ouch...ya that seems really high :(. Here at work we just had all the brake lines and brakes done on our Taurus for $450 at the local Ford dealer. Granted an Explorer is going to have larger components with a larger price tag but still...

I don't really think the bearing job at a Ford shop should be over $100-$150 and yes, I would do both. They are the same age so the other will need replaced too, it's just a matter of time.

They probably charge a solid $250 for the diff fluid change (again, Ford shop ain't cheap).

All together though that's only $850 and honestly I feel like they are making out getting that kind of money from you for that. Don't want to always be the kind to expect mechanics to work for nothing but IMO you got way gouged.

If you can get a bearing job on both sides of the car for $150 including parts and labor- at a dealer, go for it...

Buddy's shop did rear brakes and rotors, e brake, rear axle seals, and a complete fluid change for the rear diff and transfer case (Amsoil) on my neighbor's 2001 Mountaineer for about $900 using OEM or professional grade parts for reference. Done in about 1/2 day.

real easy, get a list of the parts and compare what you were charged and what you could go buy them for. Then ask him to show you the "book" that details how long each part of the job should take. ie.. disc replacement--.75 hr, etc. Then ask his hourly rate.

if he spent $600 on parts and did 8 hrs worth of labor @ $100/hr then fair price. But some shops charge for actual time spent if they have problems and take longer which isn't correct. Good mechanics can beat the book and make extra and that's ok, but my friends mom had a mercedes and got hit with a mega water pump bill. I went in and asked to see the book. The job was like an hour. Then the manager told me " well... we didn't have the right tool and it took a long time....etc. " They cut the bill in halve when they realized I knew how they charging for their lack of skill and tools

real easy, get a list of the parts and compare what you were charged and what you could go buy them for. Then ask him to show you the "book" that details how long each part of the job should take. ie.. disc replacement--.75 hr, etc. Then ask his hourly rate.

if he spent $600 on parts and did 8 hrs worth of labor @ $100/hr then fair price. But some shops charge for actual time spent if they have problems and take longer which isn't correct. Good mechanics can beat the book and make extra and that's ok, but my friends mom had a mercedes and got hit with a mega water pump bill. I went in and asked to see the book. The job was like an hour. Then the manager told me " well... we didn't have the right tool and it took a long time....etc. " They cut the bill in halve when they realized I knew how they charging for their lack of skill and tools

The other game that they play involves double charging labor hours.

For example, to change a bearing, it may say 2 hours, which includes time for raising the vehicle, removing lugnuts, wheel, caliper, rotor, 2 beers, and 4 cigarettes. However, those things were already removed and charged in with the labor for the brakes.

Thank you for the replies, all. My mech and I are going to go a few rounds on this.

Regards,

NM

Back