• Register Today It's free!

Rear Differential Venting

Dick Berg

Reaction score
City, State
San Jose, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer EB 4L SOHC
I have a '97 Ex, 4WD, EB, 4L SOHC engine. The rear differential has a rubber vent hose that heads up towards the upper reaches of the underside of the beast. The open end of the hose currently faces parallel to the ground, as it came from the factory.
Now that I have a SeaDoo, I have to back the trailer into the lake. I'm wondering if there's a chance that the end of the tube can allow water into the differential. due to water splashing, etc.
Does anyone know if there's a fitting, check valve or adapter that can be put on the end of the vent hose that will only allow the passage of air, and block liquids?
It seems like a straightforward thing, as it would prevent any liquids from getting splashed up and into the differential, for example during heavy rain.
Any ideas or help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dick

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It'll be alright - contamination is the reason why we change the fluid after X number of miles after all.

I just bought a longer piece of tubing and ran it up as far as it would go up into the inner wall of the panels. that way it could still breath and not get wet.

I run these...;)

attachment.jpg

IZwack, Ray and Stic-o - Thanks very much for the suggestions.
That little bellows is a clever idea.
I had to open the differential a few years ago since I was getting a screeching noise from it.
It turned out that the clutch pack on the driver's side was installed incorrectly at the factory!
I had to clean out a bunch of debris, replace a number of components, and then refilled it with the synthetic oil that the manual recommended.
This was about 40 to 50k miles ago. Should I consider draining and replacing the fluid at this time?

Thanks again,
Dick

Back