96 AWD explorer Ball Joints question | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

96 AWD explorer Ball Joints question

LeviTheDegu

Reaction score
City, State
Portland Oregon
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Explorer AWD
Alrighty, first post here but over the last year I've found a lot of help from this site ( so thanks)

Now then my power steering just went out and I had the gear box replaced (what caused it) While it was at the alignment shop they told our mechanic (trusted) that all my ball joints are shot (as in I should park it until I can get the money to fix it)

Now then since I've bought this car (used a couple months ago) I've had a used car inspection at the dealship/ an attempted alignment a les Schwab.

I'd imagine one of these places would of caught bad ball joints...Now then Before I take it in to be done I wanted to check the joints for myself I followed the youtube tutorial: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CREL17bRius

and I was wondering 1. If the video is accurate 2. How much play says the joints are bad? (on the passenger side theres virtually no top/bottom play) and on the drivers side there only looks to be lower play

Thanks so much, looking forward to posting more around here and gettin to know everyone

There should be exactly none. Any play indicates ball joints are bad. The parts are relatively inexpensive, but shops will charge a lot of labor ($800 is common for the repair). If you are mechanically inclined & willing to turn some stubborn bolts with a long breaker bar, its not a difficult repair just time consuming the first time around. See the sticky at the top of this forum for details and pictures.

There should be exactly none. Any play indicates ball joints are bad. The parts are relatively inexpensive, but shops will charge a lot of labor ($800 is common for the repair). If you are mechanically inclined & willing to turn some stubborn bolts with a long breaker bar, its not a difficult repair just time consuming the first time around. See the sticky at the top of this forum for details and pictures.

The amount of play on the driver side lower isn't even an eight of an inch, i'm not sure if its the rubber or the wheel itself moving... What's the danger of riding it with the warning if I can't find any real play? or even just super minor play (8th inch?) I understand the concept of it dropping, but with this little play? either way I'm getting them replaced but I was wondering if it could wait until after my road trip this week?

If you're not going too far, it's not big deal. If you're making a big trip, you will most likely see some tire wear.

Back