anyone else want to drive their car into a lake? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

anyone else want to drive their car into a lake?

harlenm

Reaction score
City, State
Shelton, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 Limited(lemon swap)
Now my Nav has almost completely stopped working. Only gets a signal on perfectly clear roads, and then still loses me sometimes. The whole mft system locked up on me the other day and I needed to restart the car to get it working.

Now its developed the a pillar rattle.

Whats next?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Now my Nav has almost completely stopped working. Only gets a signal on perfectly clear roads, and then still loses me sometimes. The whole mft system locked up on me the other day and I needed to restart the car to get it working.

Whats next?

Streaky windows? Moisture in the Mirror Marker Lamps? Rattle in the center of the middle seat? Terrain Management System Fault? That's my list in addition to the A-Pillar rattle and small issues with MFT!

I have the streaky windows, not a big deal, comes off with some cleaner.

Have the rain noise issue, again, doesn't bother me much.

I have 59 more payments of $767 for this?

I'd think you'd make a better statement driving into a (unoccupied) Ford dealership. But seriously...would you prefer to get these things fixed?

Of course. I love the car besides these issues.

Whats next?

"I needed to restart the car to get it working"

Upgrade to version 2.11

It resets MFT after about 30 seconds if it hangs or goes dark. I had this happen today when I was navigating somewhere. The system said "Navigation fault" in the middle of navigating and then when I pressed "OK" and tried re-inserting the SD card the MFT screen went black. After about 30 seconds it rebooted and restarted and actually recomputed the route without me having to re-enter it. Seemed ok after that.

I've been getting more USB and Nav card faults lately, wonder if my media hub is going.

"I needed to restart the car to get it working"

Upgrade to version 2.11

It resets MFT after about 30 seconds if it hangs or goes dark. I had this happen today when I was navigating somewhere. The system said "Navigation fault" in the middle of navigating and then when I pressed "OK" and tried re-inserting the SD card the MFT screen went black. After about 30 seconds it rebooted and restarted and actually recomputed the route without me having to re-enter it. Seemed ok after that.

I've been getting more USB and Nav card faults lately, wonder if my media hub is going.

Something like this should *never* happen. It's completely unacceptable.

Something like this should *never* happen. It's completely unacceptable.
I read today that Ford and Toyota are getting together to work on a hybrid system for trucks and SUV's. They are also going to be working on 'in car communications'. I wonder if that may include the MFT? :scratch:

Mortgage payment?? Not quite, as my mortgage is $2400 per month.

I WISH my mortgage payment was only $767/mo.

Let me specify... Down South... Life is cheaper. Much cheaper
Mortgages here for a decent 3 bed 2 bath, 4 bed 2.5 bath... are roughly 12-1500.

Which is why I said its almost a mortgage payment.

2400/month for Mortgage? WTH do you do for a job? lol
Because I could definitely use one like that.

Whats next?

After being on the road on vacation for the last 18 days I am ready to drive to Derborn, Mi and grab Bill Ford and have him sit in the passenger seat and try to program the Navigation. This system made my vacation a nightmare. It couldn't find Glacier NP or Yellowstone NP the route it gave me to the North Rim of the Grand Canyon overshot it by 150 miles. It once told me to turn left on "power line road" which was an access road for utility trucks to service the poles going over a mountain :) I get messages like "route calcalation failed" or "navigation loading" then it locks up and also the radio, clock and tempature settings freeze up. They really need to print detailed documentation on how to operate the system the booklet they included is totally useless unless you want to know about various license agreements. The free apt on my phone works better than Ford's GPS. Hopefully it will get me home in 3 days.

This system made my vacation a nightmare. It couldn't find Glacier NP or Yellowstone NP .......

How do you report that to Telenav? I mean after all is has been a park since 1872 when President Ulysses S. Grant signed a bill that created Yellowstone. :rolleyes:

This is the reason the Nav system has me so livid! I have to say it works fine around Long Island but if I take a trip anywhere (which I often do) I now have to bring a second GPS after spending all that money.....Ford, please fix this!!!! :(

It's great we have Ford reps here and they do an awesome job but the silence from the Ford IVT team on this issue is sad. Then again I know they are probably not allowed to say too much. Rebecca are they looking into these Nav issues and will they be fixed for us? Thank You!!

One thing I have learned about GPS systems during my last 12 years of Military service.

YOU CANNOT rely on Electronics to get you from point a to b. If you must rely on electronic/GPS monitored systems, the key is to double check your work. Remember there once was a group of men that traveled from the East to the West trekking through mounain passes on wagons and horseback. Did they have a GPS? NO. Did they have SYNC services? No. What they might have had maybe.....a sundial, compass, and a piece of paper with some scriggly lines going through it.

Remember even the Military didn't always depend on GPS/Satellites, we had a map and compass to find and navigate our ways to the enemy or positions to mount an attack.

So I say even if plot your point on a map, its good to check it again against another source to ensure you are not venturing 150 miles out of your way. This way you preserve your resources by saving that time, gas, frustration, and valuable family happiness.

Just food for thought.

Remember there once was a group of men that traveled from the East to the West trekking through moutain passes on wagons and horseback. Did they have a GPS? NO. . .

Did they pay $800 for one only to find out later it didn't work? NO

That said you make good points!! Sadly though other GPS units will get you there and for way less money.

Anyway, the GPS is my one big complaint about this Explorer.....love the rest.

Did they pay $800 for one only to find out later it didn't work? NO

That said you make good points!! Sadly though other GPS units will get you there and for way less money.

Anyway, the GPS is my one big complaint about this Explorer.....love the rest.

Here is another thing that I see that delays calculations and routes...

When you are stationary at your start point it'll calculate one specific route, as you get closer to your destination and you stop. When you proceed to start the vehicle and it re-calculates your routes, you many not know this but it does reconfigure your routes, due to closer roads, road detours, traffic.

Here is another thing I have discovered with electronic maps. TeleNav your SD card map is not constantly being updated....as google is constantly being updated.

Whenever you send a google address to SYNC services and you pull it up it gives you the address only. So you researched the google map and you noticed a certain route on google maps it will not be the same route on the SD NAV card. I know this as when I went to Hot Springs, AR from Miami, FL it was a way different map given.

Thats why I used my iPhone as a back up and when you set your destination on the NAV/SD MAP I look at the end point to verify that it is the correct address, state, and house number on the MFT/SYNC map.

Here is another tip to everyones trips, vacations, and long road trips.

When your dismounted conducting land navigation in day or night time operations, we have to continually apply corrections to our heading. So I would use a pace counter and check the map and correct my heading by using the degress on the compass. So what I am trying to say if the time permits when refueling, resting, just make sure your routes are still on track.

Navigating your way requires constant attention when mounted or unmounted, Captains of sea vessels conduct this all the time too include the co-pilots of airplanes and helicopters.

I hear ya about the $800 Nav option I really do, but you can't replace a $3-$20 map atlas/book hardcopy that will never go blank, re-boot, or freeze. It is always a great back up just incase you get hit with Electric Magnetic Pulse or our Sattelites get disrupted, or someone knocks out our entire communications structure....of course this is severe examples.

Happy Navigating....

I use my GPS as a tool, not a crutch. On more than one occasion I have been very disappointed with the GPS in my X. Much of it could have to do with the software.

My biggest issue - Give Us The ability to use the touch screen while driving. While my system boots up fairly quick (v2.7), the NAV takes forever to load. I am not going to sit in my driveway for 2-5 minutes and then program in an address. Pulling over on the highway, not a good option, and the voice commands are poor at best. Not to mention, I have heard a number of times from a passenger "wtf?, why can't I enter the data?"

My biggest issue - Give Us The ability to use the touch screen while driving. While my system boots up fairly quick (v2.7), the NAV takes forever to load. I am not going to sit in my driveway for 2-5 minutes and then program in an address. Pulling over on the highway, not a good option, and the voice commands are poor at best. Not to mention, I have heard a number of times from a passenger "wtf?, why can't I enter the data?"

Agreed - Go Vote for it here - http://www.thefordstory.com/your-ideas/technologies/infotainment/navigation-no-lock-out-override/

One thing I have learned about GPS systems during my last 12 years of Military service.

YOU CANNOT rely on Electronics to get you from point a to b. If you must rely on electronic/GPS monitored systems, the key is to double check your work. Remember there once was a group of men that traveled from the East to the West trekking through mounain passes on wagons and horseback. Did they have a GPS? NO. Did they have SYNC services? No. What they might have had maybe.....a sundial, compass, and a piece of paper with some scriggly lines going through it.

Remember even the Military didn't always depend on GPS/Satellites, we had a map and compass to find and navigate our ways to the enemy or positions to mount an attack.

So I say even if plot your point on a map, its good to check it again against another source to ensure you are not venturing 150 miles out of your way. This way you preserve your resources by saving that time, gas, frustration, and valuable family happiness.

Just food for thought.

I got to remember that. Next time I go a cross country vacation I'll carry a compass and sundial. Wait my phone has a compass, clock and GPS that works, unlike the GPS in my Explorer. (a little satire is good for the soul)

It sounds like the google down load is the way to go for Nav in the ex, yes, no? Lets talk house payments, live in Calif. (not for long), 2400 - 3000 are very common payments.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

We all know electronics have issues but my free Motion X GPS App for my iPhone4 shouldn't be easier to use and more accurate then my $45,000 Explorer's Navigation system.

Try using Google Maps for Navigation on an iPad while driving and see how intuitive that program is. Never drops the GPS signal, never goes blank, never can't find a 10 yr old address.

Thats all most of us want.

Motion X GPS has now integrated with INRIX Traffic for a fantastic program.

I sent them an email asking if they would ever work with Ford SYNC team and they responded by saying they are already working on some exciting new programs involving SYNC and MFT.

Lets hope that's an option soon.

Back