Keyless entry pad code location | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Keyless entry pad code location

I found my code number on the box as stated and tried to reprogram but when i push the keypad buttous they dont light up and punching the code numbers does not do anything. Anyone know whats going on with this?

Here is the info from my owner's manual. If you don't have an owner's manual, Dead Link Removed. I apologize about the size but I wanted you to be able to read it.

scan0001.jpg

scan0002.jpg

Here is the info on using the keypad:

Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

If the keypad doesn't respond when you press the buttons, the keypad may be bad or you may have broken/damaged wires in the boot between the driver's door and the body. If you need the wiring diagram for the keypad, let me know.

Good luck! ;)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here is the info from my owner's manual. If you don't have an owner's manual, Dead Link Removed. I apologize about the size but I wanted you to be able to read it.

scan0001.jpg

scan0002.jpg

Here is the info on using the keypad:

Dead Link Removed

Dead Link Removed

If the keypad doesn't respond when you press the buttons, the keypad may be bad or you may have broken/damaged wires in the boot between the driver's door and the body. If you need the wiring diagram for the keypad, let me know.

Good luck! ;)

I think it may be the Keypad as i dont see it lighting up when i push the buttons. When i fixed the broken wires in drivers door boot to fix the interior lights i did not see any more broken wires but i guess its possible i missed them. Maybe i could find a keypad at a salvage yard.

Thanks

I think it may be the Keypad as i dont see it lighting up when i push the buttons. When i fixed the broken wires in drivers door boot to fix the interior lights i did not see any more broken wires but i guess its possible i missed them. Maybe i could find a keypad at a salvage yard.

Thanks

I would do a hard target search for more broken/damaged wires in the boot first. Using a bright flashlight will be a big help. I will scan the wiring diagram for the keypad and PM it to you. That way you will have a better idea of what wires are related to the keypad and can troubleshoot before you replace it so you are not just throwing money at the problem.

Getting to the keypad is relatively easy. These pics are for the passenger door but the driver door is the same.

Make sure the window is in the fully down position. Start at the bottom, indicated by the yellow arrow and pull the weatherstripping in the direction of the red arrows. Work your way to the top of the door. It comes out & goes in pretty easy:

DoorPillarTrimWeatherstrippingCustom.jpg

There are four screws holding the pillar in, indicated by the red arrows. You can't see the bottom one in the picture, but it's there! Be very careful taking the screws out, you don't want to drop them in the door. Maybe use a magnetic screwdriver:

DoorPillarTrimScrewAccessCustom.jpg

Once you get the screws out and start to remove the pillar trim, you will see how to remove the keypad.

P.S. I remember reading somewhere that if your Ex. didn't come with the keypad from the factory and was dealer installed that it was a wireless, stick on piece. Maybe that's the case and the battery is dead. :dunno: Just shooting in the dark. Check if there are obvious signs that it is a stick on unit. Either way, if you follow the pictures, you will be able to tell what style you have.

Good luck and be sure to keep us posted. :thumbsup:

I would do a hard target search for more broken/damaged wires in the boot first. Using a bright flashlight will be a big help. I will scan the wiring diagram for the keypad and PM it to you. That way you will have a better idea of what wires are related to the keypad and can troubleshoot before you replace it so you are not just throwing money at the problem.

Getting to the keypad is relatively easy. These pics are for the passenger door but the driver door is the same.

Make sure the window is in the fully down position. Start at the bottom, indicated by the yellow arrow and pull the weatherstripping in the direction of the red arrows. Work your way to the top of the door. It comes out & goes in pretty easy:

DoorPillarTrimWeatherstrippingCustom.jpg

There are four screws holding the pillar in, indicated by the red arrows. You can't see the bottom one in the picture, but it's there! Be very careful taking the screws out, you don't want to drop them in the door. Maybe use a magnetic screwdriver:

DoorPillarTrimScrewAccessCustom.jpg

Once you get the screws out and start to remove the pillar trim, you will see how to remove the keypad.

P.S. I remember reading somewhere that if your Ex. didn't come with the keypad from the factory and was dealer installed that it was a wireless, stick on piece. Maybe that's the case and the battery is dead. :dunno: Just shooting in the dark. Check if there are obvious signs that it is a stick on unit. Either way, if you follow the pictures, you will be able to tell what style you have.

Good luck and be sure to keep us posted. :thumbsup:

I told you wrong about the Keypad. The lights do light up when pressed. Was not dark when i tried it before and i did not see the light. Still cant get it to work. I may have got the wrong code or possibly like you say a broken wire. Would it still light up if it was broken wire?

Thanks

I told you wrong about the Keypad. The lights do light up when pressed. Was not dark when i tried it before and i did not see the light. Still cant get it to work. I may have got the wrong code or possibly like you say a broken wire. Would it still light up if it was broken wire?

Thanks

It would still light up as long as the 12V wire & the ground wire are still intact.

Try pressing the 7/8 and 9/0 buttons at the same time. This should lock all doors:

Dead Link Removed

Double check to make sure you have the correct factory code. If you're sure you have the correct factory code and you still can't get it to work, then check again for broken wires. Make sure the connector for the keypad is fully seated.

I'll see if I can scan the keypad wiring diagram for you when I get home this evening.

It would still light up as long as the 12V wire & the ground wire are still intact.

Try pressing the 7/8 and 9/0 buttons at the same time. This should lock all doors:

Dead Link Removed

Double check to make sure you have the correct factory code. If you're sure you have the correct factory code and you still can't get it to work, then check again for broken wires. Make sure the connector for the keypad is fully seated.

I'll see if I can scan the keypad wiring diagram for you when I get home this evening.

I got the Keypad to work. I used a mirror so i could see the code behind the passenger side panel. I was putting the numbers in backwards :D. Once i put the numbers in correct it all worked just fine. Thanks for your help.

I got the Keypad to work. I used a mirror so i could see the code behind the passenger side panel. I was putting the numbers in backwards :D. Once i put the numbers in correct it all worked just fine. Thanks for your help.

Glad I could help!

This thread is really helpful. I am going to try to get my code tonight.

Thanks for the post.. I just bought my explorer and the guy didnt know the code. Did what you said and sure enough it was there. You kinda have to read all the numbers to find the 5 digit one. the only thing is though I broke the head off the bolt that holds the seat belt, it was rusted so..

Thanks for the post.. I just bought my explorer and the guy didnt know the code. Did what you said and sure enough it was there. You kinda have to read all the numbers to find the 5 digit one. the only thing is though I broke the head off the bolt that holds the seat belt, it was rusted so

I am trying to get the keyless entry code for my02 Explorer. I found the mod, but where are the numbers?

I am trying to get the keyless entry code for my02 Explorer. I found the mod, but where are the numbers?

Check the beginning of this thread. The OP has pics showing exactly where the number is and how to gain access to it.

I found the module but none of the numbers work. Any ideas?

Hey Explorer enthusiasts!
Add me to the list. Found the code and saved $400.00 by not going to the dealer

Thanks you all!!!

I found the module but none of the numbers work. Any ideas?

I re-read this thread and found this post by rrgone:

Member mikephotos did a very nice tut for getting the Gen 3 door code several years ago. He changed his url a while ago but I recently found him again. Have a look here for some good pics and instructions:

http://www.rampslides.com/explorer/keypadcode.html

Other goodies at his site too. Enjoy.

Here is an excerpt from this website: http://www.rampslides.com/explorer/keypadcode.html

Now pull the panel away from the body as much as you can without causing any damage to the panel. As you can see, it does go out far enough to see the black security module. On that box, you'll see a white label (yellow arrow) with a small bar code. Below that bar code there should be a 5-digit number. You might need a flashlight to help read it, especially if you're doing this at night like I did. There are a few other numbers on the label so before replacing all the panels, be sure to test the code and make sure it works. If not, you might have used the wrong number on the label. Trust me, it's there. At least it was on my '02 EB.

keypadcode_08.jpg

thanks it helped me out big time- no dealer fees but now seat wont foldback unless i press the inside latch down with a screw driver? any help any one?

Keyless entry problem

For starters, let me say hi and thank you from a new member. You folks seem very civil as compared to other forums, congratulations.
I have an '02 XLT.
So, my keyless entry system problem is not an issue with getting the factory code, I have it. Problem is that it doesn't work!! This situation began when my battery went dead and I removed it so I would have it ready to exchange it the next day. In essence the vehicle sat without a battery for about 14 hours. After replacing the batt, the unlocking part of the KES stopped working. The locking part works and when I press any button all the lights that are suppoded to work, do work.
A service manager at one of the local dealers told me that sometimes these modules go bad once power is applied to them after being without power for a while....... This is the same SM that told me the module was white and over the right rear wheel well, just in front of the little compartment in the left side of the cargo area!!!
Truth be told, I haven't tried to re-program it or to program another code into it. I didn't want to take a chance of hosing it further.
Any ideas?? Are there different fuses for the diffrent functions of the module? Could the the contacts on the connectors be dirty/sulfacted and need cleaning or reconnecting.
I'm at a loss folks, any and all help is definitely appreciated.
PS - For several days after replacing the battery my idle control was off too. It idled very low and died a few times going around corners and when stopped at idle, not a pleasant experience. But after compensating for that for a few days with the accelerator pedal, it went away. Don't know if this is relevant to the KES issue but I thought I'd throw it out there just in case.
Thanks in advace for your help.

Hey guys & gals, found this thread while trying to figure out what went wrong with my keyless entry, maybe someone here can help.

2002 Explorer XLT. The FOBs and keypad were working fine until I replaced the battery. The battery was only disconnected for about two minutes. Got it all back in, everything in the car works great except the keyless entry no longer works!

The pad lights up, and when I press the 7/8 & 9/0 buttons all the doors lock, but my code no longer works and my key fobs don't either. I tried reprogramming the fobs but to no avail, the car does not recognize them. I checked all the fuses under the driver-side dash and under the hood, but all of them are fine.

Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be? Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The pad lights up, and when I press the 7/8 & 9/0 buttons all the doors lock, but my code no longer works

currently having this same problem!

Back