Front rotors TURNED BLUE!? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front rotors TURNED BLUE!?

What we've got here is... failure to communicate. Some men you just can't reach.

Works both ways, you know? Why do you assume that everybody HAVE TO agree on everything?
You guys choose to break with the transmission that is not made for that (even the manufacturer doesn't recomand that), I choose to use good brakes.
That is not a "failure to communicate". You have to agree to disagree on some subjects.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Works both ways, you know? Why do you assume that everybody HAVE TO agree on everything?
You guys choose to break with the transmission that is not made for that (even the manufacturer doesn't recomand that), I choose to use good brakes.
That is not a "failure to communicate". You have to agree to disagree on some subjects.

So if engine breaking is SOOOOOOO BAD for the transmission and the manufacture doesnt recomend it(i would love to know where you heard that). What are the low gears there for anyways?

BTW the first time you loose your brakes completely do to over heating going down a steep mountain you will start engine breaking to if you dont die. I dont care how nice your brakes are you CAN NOT ride them all the way down a 10 mile mountain road. Its not about the life the transmission its a matter life and death. PERIOD, END OFF STORY. can we move on now?

It's not as long as you keep the engine within rpm band of the gear. How else do you think semis don't kill there breaks.
I only wend 4 miles before switching to lower gear. I was "stab braking" for those 4 miles as well (tractor trailer braking style that prevents you from killing brakes), but it was minimally effective because it was about a 50 to almost 75% grade for the 4 miles at the top.

A 75% percent grade? that's almost vertical must have been one hell of a ride. A tractor trailer uses something called a jake brake thats used to slow the rig down. To spare a long lesson on how it works it basically opens exhaust valves at certain part of the stroke to release the compressed air trapped in the cylinder. Ever notice when when a big rig is going down hill or has to make a sudden stop it gets really load and makes a growling noise? that is the jake brake

Here is a video of a trucker downshifting with the jake brake on
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3bLqjPBlx8

PERIOD, END OFF STORY. can we move on now?
On NORMAL asphalted roads (not off-road), there are milions of SUV with automatics. 99.9% of them descent in OD. I didn't hear of people dying because of that. I didn't feel any brake fade on my descents in Virginia mountains (on I81, I64) or Pennsylvania (I70/76) and I didn't die. Gears 1 and 2 are for towing (up and down hill).

75% grade is 37 degree - not a highway slope. To compare, V6 Explorer grade ability is rated 18% at 60mph... They don't build grades that cars/SUV cannot climb at at least 60mph.

For OP: Are you SURE that your brakes are not dragging? Did you jack the vehicle and turn the wheels by hand (in N of course)?

NO look at slop grading on wiki. It is legitimate.

ok ok, so i was wrong about the grade it was anywherer from 5% to 25%

Haha thats what i figured. Just had the percentage backwards

Uh, this is not a highway or pave road i was talking about. It is a gravel trail up a mountain in NM. You can look it up on Google as timber peak, nm. The trail i'm talking about is the one that goes to the observatory near by.

SoNic67 - I am done arguing. Maybe if i hadn't started off so rudely you might try to understand. I apologize

I was referring to what sonic67 said. Not you spacecadebt.

Stab braking can severely overheat your brakes and should not be done. Now before someone wants to argue with me about this, I have been a truck driver for 11 years, and my father has been a truck driver for 50 years and was also a CDL driving instructor. People used to think stab braking would be better because it would give your brakes a chance to cool between applications. That's just not true though. There have been tests done both with light constant pressure on the brake and with stab braking on long descents, and stab braking heats up your brakes a lot more than constant pressure. Unfortunately most state CDL manuals still teach the stab method but I do not know a single well experienced CDL driver that uses it.

Back