Better off with stock sized tires? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Better off with stock sized tires?

Javadog123

Reaction score
City, State
Hilo ,Hawaii
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 XLS AWD
Sticking with stock body lift/really no lift, aren't the stock 235's better for your tranny and suspension? I had stock size 235's on my Trooper (All Terrains) and it seemed to get every where I needed to go. I know tranny is the weak link on the 3rd gen and I want to preserve mine as long as possible. Also, doesn't larger tires lower the gearing? I already have the limited slip 3.73 and do not want to gear it lower.

So am I correct on the gearing reduction and the greater stress on the trans or do I have it backward?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

bigger tires will mess with alot... suspension, trans, etc
sounds like your better off staying w a smaller tire, you can fit 265s w no lift and wont have too much negative affect. as soon as I went to 285s power steering started acting up and I def. needed to regear

i run 32's on my 2nd gen, and the power steering doesnt like it, but i get way better economy on the highway with a minimal loss around town

I went up to 255/70 r16 and have no neg. effects that I can tell. I too get better fuel mileage wtih them. Going to a taller tire will raise your gear ratio, not lower it.
STU

So am I correct on the gearing reduction and the greater stress on the trans or do I have it backward?

Thanks
Yes, upsizing tires (without compensating for it by regearing the differentials) does increase the stress on the drivetrain (axles, CVs, transmission etc..).

Only thing I've noticed with the tire size increase is more fuel, but that was to be expected. It hurts a little bit when I'm paying equiv. $5.01 USD/Gal. :D - You gotta pay to play.

Back