navigation system on limited a real disapointment | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

navigation system on limited a real disapointment

I almost didn't buy the NAV for that very reason - never seen a factory one worth having.

Yet, I bought in part for the big display, but mostly since I figured the resale value would be hit hard without it. A limited without nav would be seen as a limited without a steering wheel.

I probably shouldn't start on the 18.4 gallon gas tank, when the competition has 22.

My boyfriend has a $120k Corvette and the Nav in it sucks too. I've never seen a factor Nav that I've been impressed with actually. I just took delivery of my 2012 Limited last Friday and I can't even get the Nav to recognize where I am!! It still thinks the car is in Chicago....where it was built!! I've tried everything....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sorry, just because theirs doesn't work right doesn't mean this shouldn't. At least they should say they are working on making it better....the silence is deafening

Well apparently they haven't gotten the bugs out in the new model year yet. My wife didn't buy her limited because it had the nav in it. Good thing;)

I honestly believe the nav is the main problem behind the whole sync mess. We haven't even tried using it the last month or so and have had no problems with anything.

I never paired my phone back to the system after a reset so it just "sees" my wifes and no problems with that either.

We still love the Explorer with warts and all ; drives nice ,looks nice and handles really well. If they took the sync and nav out , it would be a home run.

ncgirl...
The perfect solution- move to Chicago!

My boyfriend has a $120k Corvette and the Nav in it sucks too. I've never seen a factor Nav that I've been impressed with actually. I just took delivery of my 2012 Limited last Friday and I can't even get the Nav to recognize where I am!! It still thinks the car is in Chicago....where it was built!! I've tried everything....

See my picture on the last page. That's the way mine works 80% of the time. Even on I-95 with a 360 degree view of the sky it has trouble tracking me.

TIO M said:
Apologize? Umm NO, Apologizes are like assholes everyone in prison expects them. How bout they just hurry up correct the deficiency and move on to the next item on the list.

Come to think about it, we should demand things get fixed by a certain date....kinda like the deficit. Once it is not completed and fixed then we move onto the Class Action Law Suit just like defaulting.

How bout them apples?

When a Ford representative called me, they said the Nav Card wouldn't be updated for a year to 18 months unless enough people complained about it. They acted like I was the first to complain. As far as all the gliches in MFT, I'm afraid they will just need to gut it and start over.

We sent a letter to the President of Ford Motor complaining. (not that he will see it)

Customer service might as well be contracted out to India for all they'll do for you.

If we don't hear something meaningful back we'll right the consumer affairs division of the State Attorney General's office. They have been quite helpful in the past.

When a Ford representative called me, they said the Nav Card wouldn't be updated for a year to 18 months unless enough people complained about it. They acted like I was the first to complain. As far as all the gliches in MFT, I'm afraid they will just need to gut it and start over.

russell bruesch said:
I was wondering what navigation system ford has been using the last several years in the explorer and edge vehicles. How did this system work ? Were people satisfied with it? Is the one they are using in the 2011 vehicles that much different. Seem like they have had several years to work any bugs out of the system if it is the same.

I had a 2008 ford explorer that had a 2010 updated disc in it. It was far superior to the new 2011 x I traded it in for.

Rebecca-
If the map data service updates their maps quarterly, I am wondering why we need to wait until sometime in 2012 to get an update. Will the update be more than just a data fix? Being ignorant of how the Ford system works, I am assuming there is the app and the data- updating one shouldn't impact the other? If Ford is waiting on the new MFT version, can't we get the data while we wait?

Thanks,
Randy

Ford IVT Team, will Ford be fixing this for us?

We are aware of the issues that you're experiencing and value your feedback. Our team takes your feedback seriously and continuously works on improving the system. As we've already done over the past few months, we will continue to offer free software updates to our customer as we improve the system.

Rebecca

Rebecca-
If the map data service updates their maps quarterly, I am wondering why we need to wait until sometime in 2012 to get an update. Will the update be more than just a data fix? Being ignorant of how the Ford system works, I am assuming there is the app and the data- updating one shouldn't impact the other? If Ford is waiting on the new MFT version, can't we get the data while we wait?

Thanks,
Randy

Hi Randy!

Tele Atlas and Telenav may release updates for their hand-held products quarterly; however, it's an industry standard for in-vehicle navigation system updates to be released on an annual basis. The new SD card will be released at some point in the beginning of 2012. Exact dates are unknown at this time.

Rebecca

Thanks, Rebecca.

I appreciate having you on this forum!

Best,
Randy

Hi Randy!

Tele Atlas and Telenav may release updates for their hand-held products quarterly; however, it's an industry standard for in-vehicle navigation system updates to be released on an annual basis. The new SD card will be released at some point in the beginning of 2012. Exact dates are unknown at this time.

Rebecca

Soooo, $200 hand-held devices get quarterly updates and $2000 in-vehicle units get them annually? Why does that sound backwards?

Keep in mind most of us are perfectly capable of downloading from Ford's website and updating the SD card itself - Zero cost to Ford.

Spoke to a woman this morning that happened to be in the parking lot I was in. She has a limited, and loves the car, but hates the whole MFT Sync system, and said the Nav is awful. Has the exact same problem I have with the inability to track her location and shows her driving off road all the time.

I'm doubtful of Ford's ability to fix this issue, and might end up filing a lemon law complaint if they can't.

Spoke to a woman this morning that happened to be in the parking lot I was in. She has a limited, and loves the car, but hates the whole MFT Sync system, and said the Nav is awful. Has the exact same problem I have with the inability to track her location and shows her driving off road all the time.

I'm doubtful of Ford's ability to fix this issue, and might end up filing a lemon law complaint if they can't.

It baffles me why Ford is not making this a top priority rather than have this type of word of mouth "advertising" for what could be a hot seller (if they could get them made and delivered)

harlenm said:
Has the exact same problem I have with the inability to track her location and shows her driving off road all the time.
Have you tried pulling fuse 29 to reset the system? Mine did that twice and both times pulling the fuse got me back on the road. Obviously this shouldn't be necessary but it's worth a shot if you want it to work.

Have you tried pulling fuse 29 to reset the system? Mine did that twice and both times pulling the fuse got me back on the road. Obviously this shouldn't be necessary but it's worth a shot if you want it to work.

Perhaps instead of Ford saying that a major fix/rewrite will come by a certain date they'd rather just keep working on it and not say a word until they are ready to release it.

I think someone else responded, and this wasn't my idea, but I liked it. It can use the passenger airbag sensor to determine if there is a passenger. They can (if needed, put up a warning - "Drivers' should not use").

I don't think Ford needs to protect us from ourselves to the extent that it becomes a significant inconvenience.

Ford is NOT protecting us from ourselves. Ford is protecting ITSELF from a lawsuit. Specifically, a lawsuit from someone ELSE injured by YOU or someone like you when you crash into them adjusting your nav.

While Ford could have you agree to re-imburse them for any expenses incurred as a result of such a lawsuit, the fact is that you (or most other people) probably wouldn't be rich enough to afford that anyway and would go bankrupt leaving Ford holding the bag.

Just to defend such a lawsuit would cost Ford lots of $$$.

I'm just guessing that Ford's lawyers did a lot of research and concluded that the risk outweighed the benefit.

Ford isn't the only one thay turns off parts while the vehicle is in motion.

Infiniti
Mazda
GM
Lexus

They all do it too.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ford is NOT protecting us from ourselves. Ford is protecting ITSELF from a lawsuit. Specifically, a lawsuit from someone ELSE injured by YOU or someone like you when you crash into them adjusting your nav.

I'm from Canada so I'm not as lawsuit wary perhaps, but I don't buy it.

There are systems out there that allow use of navigation if a passenger is sitting in the passenger seat (ie. Honda), and there is no reason that a warning label to acknowledge you are not the driver, wouldn't remove Ford from liability.

Sorry, it makes no sense.

Back