Anyone happy with their Ex? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Anyone happy with their Ex?

Glert

Reaction score
City, State
Rochester, NY
Looking into getting a 2012 XLT, friends of ours own a Ford dealership and I can get a very good deal but it seems like all I read about is problems. Wondering if anyone is happy and would buy again?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yup, I would buy again! My wife, me, and the 16 month old love the Ex. All the problems you hear on here are very small number, not everyone is experiencing the same problems.

Very satisfied 2012 owner here. Yes I would buy the car again, even seeing all the complaints. Alot of the issues that folks have complained about on the 2011MY I have not seen on a 2012 so they appear to be fixed. Hope this perspective helps you with your decisions.

You can add me the list of owners who are happy with their Explorer and Yes, I would not hesitate to do it again.:thumbsup:

People who don't have problems or questions regarding their Explorer do not seek out these groups for the most part, so you are seeing a very one-sided view of things.

Case in point from my history: I bought a TV with a serious design issue and frequented a TV forum for months until it was finally resolved by the store replacing the TV with a different model. I don't think I logged in again after that!

Very happy. This is my 4th....and best BEST Explorer so far. I now have over 19,000 miles and have owned since mid February. Mine was an early build from mid November.

only had mine for a week, but absolutely love it. I bought a demo with 6k on it and would do it all over again.

I have had my 2011 Limited (4wd, 302a, tow) for 3months and 5k miles.
I love it!

It is a great vehicle no issues.

people who don't have problems or questions regarding their explorer do not seek out these groups for the most part, so you are seeing a very one-sided view of things.

Case in point from my history: I bought a tv with a serious design issue and frequented a tv forum for months until it was finally resolved by the store replacing the tv with a different model. I don't think i logged in again after that!

^^^ this ^^^

Have a 2011 Limited with FWD. Love the car and would buy it again! A few minor glitches with Sync are outweighed by the comfort, convenience and great gas mileage (22 in city and 25-26 on highway).

Another happy owner, have had it for 5 months, 8,000 miles. Just went on a road trip to Michigan's Upper peninsula, 1500 miles round trip, ex behaved excellent.
MFT is a bit slow and sometimes acts up, for example, during our road trip, every time we would turn off the vehicle and start it up, the satellite radio could not be turned on via the lower left audio touch screen nor the on/off radio knob. After a master reset it seems to be working ok.
It seems that a lot of owners that have issues with the MFT opted for the factory Navigation (I do not have factory Nav and do not regret it one bit based on all the issues other customers are reporting):D

Would I buy again? Yes, but I would have probably waited for a MY2012, although we did buy our 2011 right before the couple prices hikes on MSRP:D

Very happy! There is WAAAAAAY too much focus on Sync/MFT...the underlying vehicle meets my expectation!

Very Happy, would buy it again in a heartbeat! We have had no issues (2,500 miles).

Same here, bought an early 2011 model, went through older MSFT updates and A-beam rattles. In spite of all that, I totally love my EX and would buy if again if I had to. Noew, everytime I sit in one of the other vehicles I had on my list, I really appreciate how much the little things in Explorer add up.

I like the Explorer even with the MFT problems but if MFT is reason you want the new Explorer, I would probably wait to see if the issues get fixed. The posts saying it is only a small minority that are having issues are belied by the fact that Ford's quality rankings have dropped (b/c of MFT), the automotive press have noted issues with MFT, the consumer electronics press have noted issues with MFT, CR has noted problems with MFT and even the president of Ford has publicly acknowledged issues and has thankfully indicated that Ford would be working to address these issues. All this goes to show the problems are not just a few complainers who came to this forum to express their frustration.

The funny thing is my early posts were here were not to complain but to staunchly defend my purchase (lot of psychology in wanting to reinforce my decision to purchase) and I praised MFT quite a bit. Unfortunately, after a few thousand miles of driving, I started experiencing the bugs and errors many others have noted. If you can live with the bugs and errors with MFT (I have learned not to rely on anything MFT related because it seems when I really need something, it won't work, usually to the great amusement of my wife who wanted me to get a Lexus), the Explorer is great as a solidly built and comfortable SUV (no complaints here).

I don't really regret my decision because the car part is great and I am relying on Ford's promise to fix the MFT issues. If I had to do it over again, I would probably wait for the next major release (a 3.x version) of MFT which I assume will reflect Ford's first real attempt at a comprehensive and overall fix of the system as opposed to the 2.x minor releases which I view as more stop gap bug fixes and stability releases.

I love driving my Explorer. I don't like the nav system but there are other threads outlining that many factory nav systems are lacking. Once a destination is in, it works great but hard to get a destination programed. I view this as a minor overall problems and would buy again.

Thats what I wanted to hear! I understand that internet forums tend to be a vocal minority but I wanted to make sure that was the case here. Thanks for all the replies!

Still a couple months out from buying but I'll be sure to let you know when I pick it up!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I like my X FWD Limited. Some small issue that I have been able to work out.

Back