Just ordered 2012 XLT, 3 questions.... | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Just ordered 2012 XLT, 3 questions....

bad_dog

Reaction score
I just ordered a 2012 XLT, supposed to arrive in about 8 wks, and have a few questions:

1) I ordered the BLIS option, but on the test drive noticed some huge blind spots. Does BLIS work well, and are the blind spots as bad as I remember?

2) How does Sync communicate with the internet? Is there a monthly charge?

3) I needed something this size, but it is about a foot wider than my current car. How is it driving and parking in town, is the width a problem for normal everyday driving?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1. BLIS is great. Once you get used to it, blind spots are not a problem.
2. Haven't tried the internet thing
3. I like the width a lot. I was driving a full size pick-up, so I prefer the wider SUV. Parking is much easier that with my Tundra.

Sync connects to the internet using your cellular connection. Not data though, it actually makes a call and downloads that way, so it's super slow.

I just ordered a 2012 XLT, supposed to arrive in about 8 wks, and have a few questions:

1) I ordered the BLIS option, but on the test drive noticed some huge blind spots. Does BLIS work well, and are the blind spots as bad as I remember?

3) I needed something this size, but it is about a foot wider than my current car. How is it driving and parking in town, is the width a problem for normal everyday driving?

Thanks!

Congrats on your order. I have a 2012 XLT with BLIS, sounds like you ordered the same car.

1: BLIS works awesome. I was on the fence adding this option, but I am glad I did. It does taking some getting used to (mainly learning to trust it) but it definately helps with blind spots, saved me cutting someone off twice.

2: You can use sync to send a destination to your in car NAV if you ordered one. Works awesome and I prefer this method the best. You are talking about Sync Services which does cost money, I dont know how much it is to subscribe but when you purchase your Explorer it includes 3 years. It does use your phone to connect.

3: No trouble parking the car, but since its new I usually park where there are no cars. When parked around other cars the cross traffic alert system with the rear view cam make backing out a breeze. Not using these systems it would be difficult to see everything around you when backing up.

Thanks!
Welcome aboard bad_dog. :wavey:
I have the BLIS on my Limited but as with all other vehicles I have had, I added those small 2" stick on convex mirrors as well. Wouldn't be without them. You can actually see the rear wheels with them when mounted in the lower outside corner of the mirrors.

Peter

BLIS is great. Also make sure your seat and mirrors are adjusted correctly. The truck's size is not an issue. You will get used to it. Practice makes perfect.

Welcome aboard bad_dog. :wavey:
I have the BLIS on my Limited but as with all other vehicles I have had, I added those small 2" stick on convex mirrors as well. Wouldn't be without them. You can actually see the rear wheels with them when mounted in the lower outside corner of the mirrors.

Peter

Interesting idea, never would have thought of that. Where can you get those mirrors? Will they stay on the mirror in all weather conditions?

Interesting idea, never would have thought of that. Where can you get those mirrors? Will they stay on the mirror in all weather conditions?
I have used them probably for 30 years or more and have never had one fall off. Here in Canada I get them at Canadian Tire and some hardward stores also have them. I would check with some of the automotive stores. They are self adhesive with a paper backing that you peel off. They are available in different sizes but the 2" work best for me. Make sure that the mirror is clean and that you put them in the spot you want. I've never tried to remove one but I think it wouldn't be too easy. Dry a dry fit first.

1. Bliss is great.
2. sync. to cloud. limited, thru your phone.
3. Wide, Yes, it will take time to get used to.
4. you will like it.

1. I love Bliss!!!!

2. Never use sync really....

3. Wide yes especially getting into the garage! :)

You will really love it, congrats!!!

FYI
Its only a half inch wider then the GMC Acadia and the Honda Pilot.

Congrats and welcome to the forum, can't wait to receive mine, but I have used systems like the Blis, it's about getting use to it. Like Peterk9 I have used the 2" mirrors for years, currently installed on my F150

I just ordered a 2012 XLT, supposed to arrive in about 8 wks, and have a few questions...
bad_dog,
Welcome to the boards! It looks like you already got the answers to your questions. :) Thanks to everyone who took the time to help!

Cory

Congrats and welcome to the forum, can't wait to receive mine, but I have used systems like the Blis, it's about getting use to it. Like Peterk9 I have used the 2" mirrors for years, currently installed on my F150

When changing lanes with BLIS do you trust it 100% or do you still look over your shoulder?

Thanks!

Hi, bad_dog! Congrats on your new Explorer!

Are you referring to the Wi-Fi? If so, you can make your Explorer into a secure Wi-Fi hotspot 3 different ways:

USB Mobile Broadband Device

Phone Tethering via Bluetooth (Phone must support personal area network also known as PAN)

An outside wireless hotspot (i.e. if you are parked outside of Starbucks you would be able to pick up their wireless signal)

This is a free feature, however, check with your cell phone provider to see if your plan covers tethering via Bluetooth. USB Mobile Broadband devices usually have a monthly charge from your cell phone carrier, as well.

Let me know if you have any other SYNC or MyFord Touch questions :)

Rebecca

When changing lanes with BLIS do you trust it 100% or do you still look over your shoulder?

When not changing lanes, I use it as a situational awareness thing - It helps alert me to things that move into my blindspot when I'm not looking.

When changing lanes, I first check my mirror/BLIS, then I check over my shoulder, and lastly, I glance at BLIS a fraction of a second before I start changing lanes just as a double check.

I should also add that it would be wise never to fully trust this sort of thing. Case in point: Volvo has the new "city safe" thing that is supposed to stop the car automatically to prevent a collison. While it usually works (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLhBYic-3xI&feature=related), there have been several highly publicized cases where it didnt! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXI0ByfEdR8 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcJ9xgBZJdI&feature=related

When not changing lanes, I use it as a situational awareness thing - It helps alert me to things that move into my blindspot when I'm not looking.

When changing lanes, I first check my mirror/BLIS, then I check over my shoulder, and lastly, I glance at BLIS a fraction of a second before I start changing lanes just as a double check.

I should also add that it would be wise never to fully trust this sort of thing. Case in point: Volvo has the new "city safe" thing that is supposed to stop the car automatically to prevent a collison. While it usually works (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLhBYic-3xI&feature=related), there have been several highly publicized cases where it didnt! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXI0ByfEdR8 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcJ9xgBZJdI&feature=related

I agree with jrmexplorer.....

BLIS does not replace looking over your shoulder and looking in your mirrors. It is merely an AID to assist you while driving and give you situational awareness so you STAY ALIVE!!

Blis

I agree with jrmexplorer.....

BLIS does not replace looking over your shoulder and looking in your mirrors. It is merely an AID to assist you while driving and give you situational awareness so you STAY ALIVE!!

I agree, I have had two different times when I am driving and know the BLIS was working only to find later that it had stopped! This is without turning the car off between working and non-working. I had to go to options and turn off BLIS and then turn it back on to get it working again. By all means use it as an adjunct to safe over the shoulder looking!

Blis is a home run and parking is a snap with the rear camera option. Haven't used the internet though .... sorry.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back