How to: - Install a Class III Hitch | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

How to: Install a Class III Hitch

Prefix for threads which are instructional.
140 is a bit much but still better than stock price. I guess it depends on the junkyard for the price.
Damn nate, nice find
I been lookin in junk yards around here but there realy arent any 3rd gen's.
I have been debating going up to the mall and findin a fellow explorer driver with a 2" and offerin to trade lol.
It took me quite a while to find my hitch. Probably at least 4-6 months. I finally just drove 70 miles south of ogden to get that hitch. Worth it. Just keep looking and you'll eventually find one. :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

FINALY joined the 2" club!!!!!
thank you craigslist.... will install tomoro? also gonna get a tri-ball and a trailer brake kit for my new 7 PIN :)

0fb6a625.jpg

I love mine! I keep the ball mount in and that keeps the bottom feeders from getting to close at stop lights!!!!!

Great find nick! Just need to put a little rustoleum on there. :thumbsup: Good luck with the install, easy to do.

Great find nick! Just need to put a little rustoleum on there. :thumbsup: Good luck with the install, easy to do.

Thank you man, Its about time! No more 1.25" crap

421c05a7.jpg

Woohoo

looks awesome Nick!

Congrats Nick! looks great.

Thank ya guys, Got me a 2" ball today. Maybe i can tow the boat out this weekend!

I just got my 2" hitch and will be installing it pretty soon. :D Thanks muzzymaniac for this great write up. I will have to make a word write up from this so I can take this info "to go."
I got my hitch for $80, that included tax and labor for the guy who took of the hitch.

Great. Glad I could be of help!

Does anyone know if a class III from a 2003 aviator will fit an 02 mountaineer??

They are listed as the same part number on www.fordparts.com so my guess is yes
:thumbsup: Good deal!! Went to "pull a part" today with my mechanic and got the hitch from an 03 Aviator they have... Also got the pretty chrome roof rack.. I will try to post pics when they are installed.. Oh BTW, the hitch only cost $25.00...:D

Thanks for the how-to!!! I joined the 2" club today and also installed a brake controller for my 16' car hauler. I got the bumper hitch with wiring harness and bolts from a salvage yard for $75.

Thank you. I just did this on my explorer last weekend. This saved me a ton of time/frustration

Nice

I had the same idea before. I did it about a year or so ago. I took the hitch from my moms Mounty and switched it with mine. I was worried the bolt threads were different bit took those off first on each to make sure. Once it warms up im taking it off again to remove thr rust on it and repaint it. :salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good day guys,
Thank you for the great guide. I am sorry to revive an 9 year old post.

I have been looking a lot in the Middle East for that class III trailer hitch , but no luck.

Can any one please provide a part number ?

Thank you all

Back