New (to me) X (see for some bolt-on mods) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

New (to me) X (see for some bolt-on mods)

Provokr

Reaction score
City, State
Jacksonville, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 XLT 4.6L 4X4
Okay, well I owned 3 1998 Explorers before (All within 3 months of each other) and I got out of the X crowd for a little while. Well, I was looking for something cheap my neighbor sold me their 2002 X 4WD 4.6L with leather interior for $3,500. The inside is IMMACULATE!! Well the only thing is that it has 245,000 miles on it. It runs perfectly and has no leaks anywhere and has been maintained meticulously. I don't have any worries about the mileage considering the care that went into the truck.
The under carriage and engine are stupid clean
photo2.jpg

photo4.jpg

photo5.jpg

My first add on was looking at the tire size sticky on this forum and finding that 265/75/16 was the biggest tire size I could get on the factory suspension. So, I picked up a set of Cooper A/T's with 75% tread left for $100 off craigslist.
Then I put the billet grille on. That was ridiculously easy.
The only thing is that the CEL was on because of the nuisance code P0340. They already replaced all the O2 Sensors and the light would come and go. I don't want to replace the costly cats, so... with a little research I did the Mil Eliminator mod. It literally cost me $4.50 compared to the $700 that the muffler shop wanted to fix it.
photo3.jpg

So, I was playing with the y-pipe trying to take it off so I can gut the cats and busted the stud off the header :splat:
photo6.jpg

I looked a little further and saw a stud broken off the header where it mounts into the block
photo1.jpg

So... Here's what I think I am going to do: I am going to buy a set of the JBA headers JBA Headers @ HHP Racing and finish pulling the "Y" pipe and gutting the cats. Then... I am going to drive it to the shop and have them cut off the 3rd cat since it converts the pipe from 2.5 to 2.25 and have them bend me a new "cat back" exhaust system from where the last cat starts at the 2.5"
photo7.jpg

:feedback:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nice looking Ex! :eek:

Cant see the pics but I like your exhaust plans(although probably illegal). I wanted to do something similar but as mine is RHD, the JBA headers wouldnt fit and custom headers are a bit pricey for me.

Thought of ditching the Y and going X/H piped duals?

look under the mod section at pics of mine. I lost the 3rd cat and had 2.5" piping and muffler installed on my 4.6L. Picked up .5 MPG so far and the wife is a leadfoot...

Cant see the pics but I like your exhaust plans(although probably illegal). I wanted to do something similar but as mine is RHD, the JBA headers wouldnt fit and custom headers are a bit pricey for me.

Thought of ditching the Y and going X/H piped duals?
I had no idea they made Right Hand Drive Explorers and especially that any would be in the states:p:
No on ditching the Y because I don't like the crackly/splatty noise it produces. I want it a little more toned.

I am debating on whether I want to do the under-drive pulley mod or not. I am however dead set on putting an electric fan in and finishing the exhaust:D
I may even replace the timing chain tensioner while doing the fan project

Okay, most of it is pulled out. I just have the passenger side header left. I have decided that I am going to get the JBA headers for sure now since they have the EGR stuff and everything.
photo-1.jpg

photo1-1.jpg

My neighborhood is horrible!! People need to keep their animals under control!! Looks like a couple cats threw up all over my driveway!! :D

they must have been gagged with a long screw driver ;) LOL

They made me mad! No telling what happens when I lose my temper. lmao

This ot'ta do something for my truck... Not quite a Kenne Bell, but it's a start...
Confirmation.jpg

return the FIPK and just do the airbox mod. MUCH cheaper and same results. Put the $$$ into the exhaust.

return the FIPK and just do the airbox mod. MUCH cheaper and same results. Put the $$$ into the exhaust.
The FIPK is on the way, but I already took the saws-all to the airbox and riveted mesh into it. I am definitely going to take the FIPK back though...

The broken EGR tube is back in and now I am just waiting on headers. I changed the brake pads since I had the tires off anyways. I need to finish drilling out the cross member bolts and then I will have nothing to do...

Ship the K&N cai to my house for $150 and I'll paypal you the money.

Ex looks good! Once I get funds where they need to be, I'll have a nice update of my own;)

Ship the K&N cai to my house for $150 and I'll paypal you the money.
Sorry, I am just going to send it back and get the whole $231 back.
Why don't you do the airbox mod? It is ridiculously easy

Sorry, I am just going to send it back and get the whole $231 back.
Why don't you do the airbox mod? It is ridiculously easy

I've already done the airbox mod, catback exhaust and tunes from Henson;)

Just want a K&N CAI and UDP's to see if I can hit 14's in the 1/4. Best so far is 15.1 with the paper filter in place on an otherwise full weight 4x4 Ex with spare tire, 2nd/3rd row seat removed rolling on 20's.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Sounds great...

Back