The Quest for 30MPG HWY is underway... | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

The Quest for 30MPG HWY is underway...

The onboard computer is optimistic. I'd be interested to see your #'s using hand calculations over a tank full.

My onboard computer is almost dead on. Last tank I averaged 19.0 per the computer. Actual average done by miles/gallons was 18.98.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

TIO...

You're running with A/C on, can you make your commute without? Or maybe wait a couple more months. Should be worth 1-2mpg.

TIO...

You're running with A/C on, can you make your commute without? Or maybe wait a couple more months. Should be worth 1-2mpg.

LMAO.....um in short, NO! I'm too damn spoiled by now, I need the A/C and A/C seats when I'm in a suit! Its too damn hot but yes, I have done that before but no thanks.

LMAO.....um in short, NO! I'm too damn spoiled by now, I need the A/C and A/C seats when I'm in a suit! Its too damn hot but yes, I have done that before but no thanks.

Actually, if you travel over around 55 m.p.h. it's MORE efficient to use the A/C then it is to roll down the windows. The aerodynamic drag having the windows down increases to a point where the A/C is more efficient. Mythbusters did a show on it.

Well I bit the bullet and rode home last night w/o A/C but I did however leave the cooled seats on, thank god. It was humid but....

The best I got was 29.5 it would not stay there so I ended up at 29.4 after I parked in the drive way.

294mpg.jpg

If you notice my history it was consistent.

294mpg1-1.jpg

The aircon seats still have to run the compressor so your gains are likely just luck and wind.

Having your ebrake on might be robbing you some mpg. ;)

LOL, I was parked in the drive way actually and it has a slight incline. I started using the eBrake to take the weight off the tranny when its parked. Just want to prolong the life of the tranny and syncros, I kinda started this out of habit when I'm doing the boat.

The aircon seats still have to run the compressor so your gains are likely just luck and wind.

Having your ebrake on might be robbing you some mpg. ;)

I thought the cooled seats used a peltier system and were independent of the A/C on the car?

Didn't think they were...I guess we could just listen for the compressor to kick to figure it out.

Where did you see they use peltier method? Now that we're talking about it...is the heated seat an element or warm air?

I recall seeing some sort of announcement from Ford about the supplier of the cooled seats. I looked up the company (the name of which escapes me right now, I think it started with an 'A') and they used peltier technology in their seats. They are the cooled seat suppliers for a number of automobile manufacturers.

The press release didn't call out the peltier technology directly for the Explorer, but that is what that company deals in, so I took it by extension that the Explorer used peltiers.

Of course, I could be horribly wrong, and it wouldn't be the first time! lol

EDIT:

The name of the company is Amerigon.

As for the seat heating, I thought it was an element, but the Amerigon webpage talks about the benefits of using warm air from its system to heat the seats. That surprised me.

Vince thanks for taking the time to post the links for the 28mpg Ford Eco-Boost Explorer.....but giving what I can do. Ford can ECO-Boost these NUTZ!!! No 4 cylinder for this guy ever....give me the V6 Eco-Boost now there is your award winning Explorer to appeal to the masses and drop the damn Expedition!! Out with the old and in with the NEW, every Expedition I see on the road is pretty much driven by a 3 to 400 pound women or some men. I hardly ever seen them pulling anything and its cuz it has the room up in the front seats..... I can say this cuz my sister in law is one of them, the Explorer should be the Fleet leader in SUVs til the Expedition gets redesigned...as a matter I think thats what Ford will do drop the damn F-150 Eco-Boost engine in the Expedition in 2013 to fill that void in the market and save them some fuel economy...

I swear I think more clearly after several beers, Ford is jippen us and thats why they are not putting the V6 Eco-Boost engine in the Explorer its for the damn Expedition....NOW THAT MAKES A HELLA OF A LOT OF SENSE!! This country is obese why not make it easier for Americans to continue going to the Drive through in an Expedition and saving money on the pump while their waist lines continue to expand oh and there kids since the second and third seats can accomodate 400lb ***** too.

One of the reasons why I love the interior of the Explorer it keeps things in perspective when it comes to your size, height, ad weight!

FORD....now that I get the point, thanks for re-desiging the Explorer to more European size cabins, this way next time I get in and I notice my waistline being a little tight it'll motivate me to go back to the gym or watch my fast food intake.........

I know...I know...its the Boston Lager here making my finger tips type really hard!

Just getting tired of Americans being the biggest people in the world...of course I don't consider Hawaiians and or Somoans.

You're welcome Tio, but I gotta ask man, you okay? lol

Ya got me kinda worried :D

Please Delete

You're welcome Tio, but I gotta ask man, you okay? lol

Ya got me kinda worried :D

Yeah man I'm good, just a little ticked that Ford went with 4 cylinder Eco and not the V6 and I just figured out why. Mark my words brotha...

By the way I'm really feeling it for Texas right now with the drought stuff, my wife and kids are there now visiting family. Hopefully we get those lakes back cuz I am planning on retiring there and wish to live by the lake.

I see that Ford is giving a $1K cash back on the Explorer and I read that the Eco Boost option is $995....mmhmmm.. How convenient don't you think? I guess they don't wanna get fined in meeting those CAFE regulations....

Well Folks...I should finally be receiving my Exhaust and Intake in the next couple of days.

I know myself and I'm IMPATIENT and I'll end up mounting both mods before even dyno'ing the dang Ex!! Should I wait? Do a Dyno then mount, then do a dyno again?

But I know I would want to go back to stock so I can do the tune with Superchips!!

Ahhh so many options to consider!!

Think you'd need a AWD dyno or would it work with just the FWD?

My previous Volvo XC90 V-8 consistently hit 25.5 mpg (and occasionally 26+) on long highway trips at speed of 65-70mph. So why can't this Explorer with V-6 & much less torque get more than 22 mpg no matter how I drive (cruise control/no cruise/50 mph/70mph/etc)?

Granted I am getting about 1 mpg more around town (17.5 v. 18.5) with the Explorer & the X takes regular, not plus.

Dave

DYNO TOMORROW! And it is an AWD, I will get a baseline dyno. I'll install the intake and then I'll have to go back to get another set of dynos done with the Exhaust. They wouldn't let me break it up. I wanted to do just the baseline dyno to get my average and then do the intake, but I wanted to come back later after I installed the exhaust.

I got the exhaust today....um well. I'll be giving you guys a review later, and I should be getting the intake in the morning. So hopefully we get us some numbers finally!!

If you guys have questions please don't hesitate or suggestions for when I get the dyno done. Thanks for following this Quest of mine.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What's a dynamometer going to tell you about MPG?

Back