2011 Durango vs. Explorer "Tug Of War" Commercial | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

2011 Durango vs. Explorer "Tug Of War" Commercial

Maybe they could do a speed test on:

Changing the radio station
Inputting a destination
Loading 7 people

They did the first two on a Top Gear episode to prove how clumsy GUI's can be.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Clearly Dodge's demographic with this thing is the Manly-Man types, but I'd like to see that V-8 pass by a gas station without stopping - not likely to happen much.

That's actually a really good point... you're definitely not going to win over the crossover-SUV demographic bragging about towing power. I very much doubt "towing" is on the top of the lists for people purchasing the new explorers...

Definitely think that either way, this commercial is a marketing "fail"

Clearly Dodge's demographic with this thing is the Manly-Man types, but I'd like to see that V-8 pass by a gas station without stopping - not likely to happen much.

Actually the V8 Durango will make less stops than our EX's. It has a 25gallon tank and even getting the city mileage it will last longer on a tank. Of course ours will be much cheaper fill up and operate. :biggthump

The new Explorers are nice and comfy on the road, in the snow, in the rain, but for it's 4x4 "toughness" fuggetaboutit...

Low range alone could explain why the Durango "walked away" with the Explorer. The fact that the Durango is available with a V-8 AND low range can't be held against it. Not their problem that Ford decided the big Ex was ok with a 6 and a 4:dunno:

If I were looking for an SUV today with the same criteria I used when I bought my '93 I wouldn't be looking at the Explorer.

http://www.explorer4x4.com/tech.html

In 1993 I was looking for a vehicle to replace my '90 Mazda B2600, 4x4. I needed something that would allow me to carry all of my photo gear and my clients into the backcountry of Arizona. I decided that the 1993 Ford Explorer XL fit my needs and would make for an extremely trail worthy vehicle once a few well planned modifications had been performed. The criteria I had was to keep it simple so I started with a base 4-door Explorer XL equipped with manual locking hubs, manual transfer case and a 5-speed manual transmission.

The times they are a changin'...

:thumbsup:
The new Explorers are nice and comfy on the road, in the snow, in the rain, but for it's 4x4 "toughness" fuggetaboutit...

Low range alone could explain why the Durango "walked away" with the Explorer. The fact that the Durango is available with a V-8 AND low range can't be held against it. Not their problem that Ford decided the big Ex was ok with a 6 and a 4:dunno:

Well said, Rick.

I for one liked the commercial as much as I love Explorers and bleed Ford blue. :D

No matter how many times i see this video it still makes me smirk!

+1

Saw that ad on TV one day. I thought it would be a good idea for Ford to develop an AD around this;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xp1m4f8PW5g

Maybe "If you want a hot car try the new Dodge Durango, of course if you would rather be cool, try the all new Ford Explorer".....FORD Drive one!

Hey....what the heck!!! :D

lol. you got my vote for the new dodge commercial, the flaming hot durango.

I have looked at and drove both the Durango and Explorer. I really don't understand why they don't even offer a V-8 in the Explorer. I do think this comparason is fair because these vehicles are both in the same class and they both had the largest engine available in them. Although I don't think it really matters all that much. I think it is more what you are going to be using the vehicle for. If you are going to be using it as an SUV towing, offroading etc. The Durango is clearly more capable. If its just for driving around town the Explorer is a nice ride also.

Dodge is starting to remind me a lot of Audi, They both are attacking there competition. Its crazy how Dodge now has the Truck commericial and how they back they're powertrains for 100K and I find it hilarious how they specifically say Ford.

It must be sales envy...Ford just like BMW still reporting strong sales with every month that goes by. I just like how Ford and BMW are calm, cool, and collective. They don't see the reason to even say a darn thing....all they do is point at the sales chart. Ouch...

I think all manufactures point out areas where the competition may be weak. I would not consider it attacking to point out where one may be better than the other. I have looked at both of these and the Explorer does have a nice smooth ride and the styling is kind of neat. The dodge is more capable and does have much higher quality interior design and materials.

The dodge is more capable and does have much higher quality interior design and materials.

You must have been looking at/driving a different Durango than I had recently. The Durango's interior design and materials were some of the lowest quality stuff I have seen. Everything just looked and felt cheap to me.

You must have been looking at/driving a different Durango than I had recently. The Durango's interior design and materials were some of the lowest quality stuff I have seen. Everything just looked and felt cheap to me.

Yes it must have been a different one. The one I drove was similar to what the entire automotive press have driven and tested. We know what all those reports have said about the interiors. You probably had some previous model year.

Lowest quality my ass... willing to bet you didn't even check one out or just don't want to admit it to make a blanket statement like that, or drove the last gen years ago. Materials and fit finish is excellent on the new jeeps and dodges, easily on par with the fit and finish and quality of say an Audi interior. To even say "lowest quality" I've seen, what was your last car... a Rolls Royce :rolleyes:

Explorer also has great material quality and fit/finish, all 3 (jeep, explorer, dodge) are really no better than each other in those regards. Hell most of the reviews have placed the interiors above the new Explorer. IMO it doesn't matter as like I said all 3 are great and worlds better than before. Saying the new Durango interior looked and felt cheap would be like saying the new Explorers interior is like a Yugos.

I was very impressed with the new Durango. Just not a fan of the trans, don't like the 5 speeds gearing... so hopefully they roll out that new 6 speed soon as that will be a night and day difference with good ratios.

Lowest quality my ass... willing to bet you didn't even check one out or just don't want to admit it to make a blanket statement like that, or drove the last gen years ago. Materials and fit finish is excellent on the new jeeps and dodges, easily on par with the fit and finish and quality of say an Audi interior. To even say "lowest quality" I've seen, what was your last car... a Rolls Royce :rolleyes:

Explorer also has great material quality and fit/finish, all 3 (jeep, explorer, dodge) are really no better than each other in those regards. Hell most of the reviews have placed the interiors above the new Explorer. IMO it doesn't matter as like I said all 3 are great and worlds better than before. Saying the new Durango interior looked and felt cheap would be like saying the new Explorers interior is like a Yugos.

I was very impressed with the new Durango. Just not a fan of the trans, don't like the 5 speeds gearing... so hopefully they roll out that new 6 speed soon as that will be a night and day difference with good ratios.

You would have lost that bet. Not a blanket statement at all. An opinion of mine after driving a new Durango for a week. I will say it again, and continue to say it, the interior of the new Durango looks and feels cheap to me in my opinion.

You would have lost that bet. Not a blanket statement at all. An opinion of mine after driving a new Durango for a week. I will say it again, and continue to say it, the interior of the new Durango looks and feels cheap to me in my opinion.

It may be you guys are comparing actual interior components vs. layout design.

For me the Durango interior design looks less refined than the Explorer's. I haven't pushed the buttons and turned the knobs in a Durango so no comment on the components.

ANYTHING was an improvement over the last generation Jeep and previous Durango. I so wanted to by an SRT8 Jeep in '08 and could not live with that crap interior.

I guess everyone has an opinion. The Durango does have higher grade interior material though. No doubt about it.

I didn't look closely at Durango for the same reason. As I understand it however, the new transmission will be an 8 speed, not 6.

Well so far, your opinion seems to be the polar opposite of almost everyone that's reviewed the new Durango/Jeep that have put the quality/fit/finish even slightly above the Ex. I could say a Honda Civic has a better interior than a Bentley, doesn't make sense, but hey.. that's my opinion. I cancelled my order on an new Limited, though I didn't go for the Jeep or Durango either, but having driven them and having friends that own each of those, sorry, you either have lost sense of touch or eyes... the leather in the Durango was nicer, and that's pretty impressive as the leather in the Ex is very nice as well, there's less plastic etc. Fit Finish is easily on par with Audi, if the D has a cheap interior, then Audi has cheap interior as well... not happening since they make the best interiors around. The Ex interior looks more modern/futuristic though vs the Durango/Jeep, but that has nothing to do with fit and finish and materials. At least u-connect worked fine, vs the Ex's system that constantly glitched or gps can't even find the right routes or put's me driving through houses on the map lol.

I guess everyone has an opinion. The Durango does have higher grade interior material though. No doubt about it.
Bingo...
I didn't look closely at Durango for the same reason. As I understand it however, the new transmission will be an 8 speed, not 6.
6 speed for the 8's and an 8 speed for the 6 cylinders. The 5 speed itself is a good robust trans, but I don't know who designed the blahhhh gearing on it for these trucks and the cars (300's etc). Makes the Penta V6 feel lethargic and makes the Hemi feel like it's not as powerful as it's "numbers" would suggest, that I think there's a lot of torque mngt but that goes for all new vehicles pretty much.

If Ford decides to drop the Eco-Boost 6 in (I doubt, but ya never know) down the road I'll pry re-order, by that point they should have the electronics figured out with the synch system.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back