Post up your audio system! | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Post up your audio system!

Working on a mild system now. Intalled a AVH-P4300DVD. I built a fiberglass/MDF sub box to fit under the false floor in the rear, I'll be mounting a single Pioneer shallow mount 12", will be installing new components with a 4 channel amp, running all new wiring obviously, and hopefully hiding everything, but the amp rack is posing a challenge so far, unless I mount something behind the rear panel. Still thinking about that.

I'll try and get a few more photos when the stuff starts to arrive, but for now most of it is on order. Right now it's in development stage. I don't have the woofer hole cut out to proper size yet, until the sub arrives and I can get the proper dimensions.

- Pioneer AVH-P4300DVD
- Pioneer GM-D8500M 1200W Max Class D Mono Amp
- Pioneer TS-SW3001S2 1500W Max Shallow Mount 12" Sub
- Infinity Kappa 682.9CF 6x8 Component Speakers
- Infinity Kappa Four, 4 Channel Amplifier
- Crap ton of wiring.

AVH.jpg

ExpSubbox1.jpg

ExpSubbox2.jpg

Expl.jpg

Looks good. How many cubes is the space going to be for the sub? Cant wait to see it finished. Keep us updated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It should be close to 0.80-1.0 ish, I have to do a few better measurements now that it's done. Must buy more packing peanuts lol

I wasn't too sure what I wanted at first. I knew I needed a double DIN, and they seem to be either DVD or Sat/Nav. I've had pretty good luck with Pioneer systems in 2 other vehicles, so I figured I'd keep it the same. I didn't really need the sat/nav, nor did I really need a DVD player in the dash, but the DVD is a lot cheaper than a Nav unit, and plus passengers can watch a movie or TV shows while on long trips (by-pass enabled). So far I love the HU, easy to piss around with without taking too much attention off the road.

I wasn't too sure what I wanted at first. I knew I needed a double DIN, and they seem to be either DVD or Sat/Nav. I've had pretty good luck with Pioneer systems in 2 other vehicles, so I figured I'd keep it the same. I didn't really need the sat/nav, nor did I really need a DVD player in the dash, but the DVD is a lot cheaper than a Nav unit, and plus passengers can watch a movie or TV shows while on long trips (by-pass enabled). So far I love the HU, easy to piss around with without taking too much attention off the road.

I woulda went with the nav just cuz i dont want to custom make a spot for my tomtom. But i prob woulda had to do somerthign custom for the tv's i wanna get. lol But all in due time. I like your setup so far. The dd looks really clean.

Placed a large order with KnuKonceptz. Already received the stuff and installed haha. I'll get some photos later of what I've done so far. I spent all my cash so far, and I've had to skip on the Infinity Kappa Four, for now, I wired in my two spare RF 2-Channel amps to power the door speakers for now.

The beauty of these distribution blocks is I can change it up any time. I left lots of wiggle room in the wiring to add/delete any time I feel the need. The one RF amp is 100w RMS x 2 @ 2ohm, second is 60w RMS x 2 @ 2 ohm. Should do the trick for now, while I tune up the system.

I bridged my ported Kaption 12" SPL (600w RMS/1200w Max) woofer to the RF 201S, to test out my wiring. Ha. It worked :D - Can't wait to get the new woofer in. Should be here today.

Here's what I ordered from KnuKonceptz if anyone is interested, I had a bunch of extras, even after doing the Big Three. No where near enough spade terminals though. Good thing I have a bunch.

KFX0BL Kolossus Fleks Kable 1/0 Gauge Blue Power/Ground Wire 20ft @ $3.95
KLE12BL Klear Kable Blue 12 Gauge Speaker Wire 75ft @ $0.55

KFX0BK Kolossus Fleks Kable 1/0 Black Power/Ground Wire 4ft @ $3.95

KFX4BL Kolossus Fleks Kable 4 Gauge Blue Power/Ground Wire 4ft @ $1.55

KFX4BK Kolossus Fleks Kable 4 Gauge Black Power/Ground Wire 4ft @ $1.55

FH-20 In-Line Waterproof ANL Fuse Holder w/ Fuse (200A) 1 @ $19.99

KARSS4.6M NEW Karma SS 4 Channel 6 Meter RCA Cable 1 @ $22.49
KARSS2.6M NEW Karma SS 2 Channel 6 Meter RCA Cable 1 @ $14.49

KNF-22D KonFUSED 2 Way Digital Distribution System (60A,120A) 1 @ $19.99

BT-104N Negative Battery Terminal 1 @ $12
BT-104P Positive Battery Terminal 1 @ $12

KOL18BL Kolossus Kable 18 Gauge Blue Primary / Remote Wire 20ft @ $0.07

KND-23 KonFUSED Ground Distribution System 1 @ $17.49

ST48BK Gold Plated 4 Gauge Spade Terminal - Black 1 @ $0.99
ST48R Gold Plated 4 Gauge Spade Terminal - Red 1 @ $0.99
RT1/0516BK Gold Plated 1/0 Ring Terminal - Black 2 @ $1.75
RT1/0516R Gold Plated 1/0 Ring Terminal -Red 1 @ $1.75

Sub Total $275.53
Tax $19.29
Ship Rate $29.40
Order Total $324.22 <-- Ouch lol

So far everything has worked out alright. It was a PITA to get the new speaker wires into the doors, however.

Pictures so far as promised. Not much so far. As I said, those are some temporary RF amps for the component speakers, until I order the Kappa Four.

So far so good, everything is pretty solid, just need my next order to arrive. (Sub, Mono Amp, Components)

For that rear panel, I drilled about a million holes though the plastic, and into the carpet to allow sound through like a grille. Had to be pretty nice on the drill as to not twine up the carpet fibers, turned out pretty good, you almost can't even tell. Only thing I could think of at the time without making a grille somehow, and ordering new carpet, but took forever. Feels pretty darn stable, wouldn't want to put any massive weight there, but should do for now.

Only other thing I am concerned about is cooling for the amps. I may relocate them if it gets too hot down there. But my goal is achieved, it's an invisible system. :D

The harsh shadows on the photos are from the DSLR lens hood hah.

Build1.jpg

The temporary Amps
Build2.jpg

Knu Power Dist. block, nice.
Build3.jpg

Build4.jpg

Nicely hidden!! :D
Build5.jpg

The panel with a million holes
Build6.jpg

Build7.jpg

The Big 3 - Not too bad
Build8.jpg

Very nice! Im liking the old skool Rockford amps you got. Dont see many of those.

Got the rest of it in this afternoon. All installed. Tested and sounds amazing. I will have to fine tune all the amps gains and crossovers for what I like. The woofer is pretty sharp and sounds great in the enclosure, I was a little worried it'd blast into pieces haha. I'll get a few photos tomorrow before the system goes into stealth! Can't wait to hear it once it's all broken in.

Infinity Kappa 682.9CF
Build9.jpg

Build10.jpg

Build11.jpg

The Pioneer GM-D8500M 600w RMS/1200w, Rockford Fosgate 201S 100w RMS x 2, 600W Max, and Rockford Fosgate 120.2 (?!)
Build12.jpg

And the Pioneer TS-SW3001S2, 1500w 12" Shallow Mount woofer
Build13.jpg

i have not installed my system in my 97 yet but i did take it out of the 01 before i sold it...

morel tempo 6 comps front and rear
running off a p450.4
3 10" w6v2 with a 500/1 to each

and thats it...i left the wiring and deck(kd-s100) in the ex when i sold it :( basically starting from scatch again..old system hit 147.1db @40hz:D

my install

31178174024_large.jpg

here's what ive got, pioneer in dash dvd player. factory door speakers. 1000 watt kenwood amp and 2 700 watt tens. The system hits about 125 db, which is good for me. The carpet on that box is black now and the plexi is tinted.

31178170011_large.jpg

Also have this sub box holds 1x 15" woofer and 2x 10"s. The 15 is a 6000w quad coil Massive Audio sub.
31178174026_large.jpg

31178174025_large.jpg

do you think u could get 4 15 in one box in the back of a 96

does anyone here also make boxes

does anyone here also make boxes
Ya, I make boxes, made both of mine for my truck, 4x15"s wouldnt really be a problem, just take up the entire space and probably be as tall as the bottom of the rear windows (guessing) Every different type of sub requires a specific size box.

all right all keep that in mind thx

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

0220011418.jpg

P4210439.jpg

P4180433.jpg

P5030330.jpg

P5030331.jpg

P5130347.jpg

P5200378.jpg

P5200379.jpg

P5200382.jpg

P5280403.jpg

0820111131.jpg

Ill get some more later.