Rough idle and "Check Engine Soon" light - FIXED | Page 7 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Rough idle and "Check Engine Soon" light - FIXED

Post number 11 has been selected as best answered.

I know this is an old post but your pictures referenced are not there. Any chance you still have them??

Dennis

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know this is an old post but your pictures referenced are not there. Any chance you still have them??

Dennis

There are pictures in post 70
you can see the crack in the elbow
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2310154&postcount=70

Here's the post

I had the same exact problem in my 2003 Sport-Trac V-6.

Same fix except I used a piece of hose bought at Autozone for $8.00

Infamous hose leak before:

e87b6538.jpg

d64d8583.jpg

and after:

3e87cd87.jpg

Got the pictures - thanks for your quick reply - Dennis

I just got word that the original pics I had posted on page one of this thread went missing. I'm not sure why that happened. I believe I originally uploaded them to the ExplorerForum's web server. I guess the fellas who control that resource did something recently to the web server that caused the disconnect. Anyhow, I uploaded the pics to my Photobucket account this time and re-edited my original posts to update the links to the Photobucket pics. So the pics are back. I included a couple of new pics to assist in making identification a little bit easier.

I just got word that the original pics I had posted on page one of this thread went missing. I'm not sure why that happened. I believe I originally uploaded them to the ExplorerForum's web server. I guess the fellas who control that resource did something recently to the web server that caused the disconnect. Anyhow, I uploaded the pics to my Photobucket account this time and re-edited my original posts to update the links to the Photobucket pics. So the pics are back. I included a couple of new pics to assist in making identification a little bit easier.

two :thumbsup:!

Syber Tiger,

Thanks again - I guess the link I clicked on from your last response was pictures from
Wade Davis's 2003 sport TracV-6. It left me a bit confused. These pictures and write up of yours is exactly what I needed. The hole is where yours was. I will be going to Ford tomorrow with a print out of your info. GREAT write up - thanks for taking the time
Dennis

Well I pulled my PCV hose off this weekend and it is fine. Rats! Back to searching.

Were you ever able to find the problem? My 2002 V6 stalls too.

About the only thing I've not done is replace the valve cover gaskets ... maybe they're leaking and causing the vacuum problem?

I'm beginning to wonder if it's an electrical problem. Like the ignition or maybe the PCM.

Another successful fix!! I retrieved codes P0171 and P0174, lean condition right and left bank. Went to this forum and found this thread. So, I lifted the cover off my 2003 explorer XLT 4.6 V8 and, sure enuf, the elbow was deteriorated with a signficant hole that looks like a carbon copy of the one shown in this thread. I checked the remainder of the assembly and all looked ok. So, i went to the local parts store and bought a $10 elbow, installed it after cutting to fit, erased the codes with my Equus, and no more problems. thx to all for the info. saved me time and $$$.

Now if i can only build up the courage to fix that differential whine!!!!!!! :)

Another successful fix!!

Glad to hear another victory for the weekend mechanics and less money to the Ford dealership.

I had the same drive-abilty issues with my 2004 4.0 v-6, (129,000 miles) sometimes (ever other day) would idle very rough, die, run rich (you can smell it) and kick up codes 506 (low idle), 2196 and 2198 (rich condition bank 1 / bank2). I checked my vacuum hoses, all checked good. The next thing was to clean my MAF sensor, and throttle body. The MAF sensor was clearly very dirty and the wire was covered, I used an approved MAF spray cleaner to clean the wire (careful, do NOT TOUCH the wire), next I removed the throttle body and cleaned it completely (yes it was very dirty). Before I did this I disconnect the battery to clear the codes and have my PCM relearn the vehicle once I restarted.

So far so good, 3 days later and 130 miles, no codes or drive-ability issues. My bad for not keeping up with this area of maintenance. Remember to clean this sensor every other oil change, all it takes is removing the wire harness and 2 screws.

getting mine fixed for 50 at the dealership codes were o2 sensor 1 bank 1 and 2 o2 sensor 2 bank 1 and bank 2 egr failure i could smell the nitrous oxide emmisions and was getting 15mpg then it dropped to 8 didnt stop me from wheeling it for a while though

thank you sooooo much for this information... I have been looking for the solution to the same exact problem with my 2003 Mountaineer... the part is on its way!

Had the same problem with my 02 changed MAF DPFE Air Filter Cleaned Throttle Body Replaced Plugs and Wires New Battery New Serpentine Belt New Tensioner New Fan Clutch Assembly New Gas Filter New Elbow 100 miles later cel on and no code just get code N\A thinking of changing the alternator and the water pump any suggestions would help!!! Only changed elbow on passenger side did not change other elbow or the PVC.

Hello everyone, I'm Steve. I'm new to this forum. I have a 2003 F150, but the same elbow problem as Sybertiger on my 4.6L V8. I just figured out my problem yesterday unfortunately before reading Sybertiger's post. His great post with pics are identical to mine. Same hole and everything. If you are interested in using the Elbow Autozone has that fixed mine here is the info on my receipt.

#883116 S-3015

S-3015 Kelly Springfield Bypass Radiator Hose

It's just a hose, no clamps used. Cost $7.99

I want to extend my thanks to SyberTiger for this thread and to Steve from Biloxi for this particular bit of info. I have an 03 XLT and while working on the IAC valve this afternoon, I tore a hole in this elbow. Went down to the local Autozone and part #883116 still works. It got me exactly what I needed. Thanks guys.

New member here, and found this problem with my x this morning. thanks to everyone for the input. Problem solved .

2003 Ford Explorer v8

Rough Idle 4.6L V8

------------------Fixed------------------
Scroll down and go on to page 8 to see
the resolution that worked for me.
------------------Fixed------------------

I have a 2002 Ford Explorer Limited with a 4.6L V8 with 110,795 miles on it. I has been used to pull a trailer but it is well taken care of. Recently, I have been noticing a rough idle which occurs when the car is at a stop light. I have read through many potential fixes, including checking the rubber elbows and I have just replaced the air filter and cleaned the MAF. Although I checked the rubber elbows and did not see any visible damage, I am not suggesting that a vacuum leak be ruled out. The check engine light is not on and a diagnostic scan at Advance Auto Parts came back with nothing. Below is a video which shows the erratic idle and odd sound which accompanies it. The only reason that I had the air intake off of the filter was to better record the sound and with the air intake not mounted to the air box, the car completely stalled. However, when the air intake is attached to the air box and filter, it does not stall. I really appreciate any suggestions that anyone might have and am open to any suggestions:)

http://youtu.be/l-nTq8roA40

I have a 2002 Ford Explorer Limited with a 4.6L V8 with 110,795 miles on it. I has been used to pull a trailer but it is well taken care of. Recently, I have been noticing a rough idle which occurs when the car is at a stop light. I have read through many potential fixes, including checking the rubber elbows and I have just replaced the air filter and cleaned the MAF. Although I checked the rubber elbows and did not see any visible damage, I am not suggesting that a vacuum leak be ruled out. The check engine light is not on and a diagnostic scan at Advance Auto Parts came back with nothing. Below is a video which shows the erratic idle and odd sound which accompanies it. The only reason that I had the air intake off of the filter was to better record the sound and with the air intake not mounted to the air box, the car completely stalled. However, when the air intake is attached to the air box and filter, it does not stall. I really appreciate any suggestions that anyone might have and am open to any suggestions:)

Not throwing any codes huh?....I think I know the problem. Read THIS THREAD. You need to clean the throttle body but specifically check the EGR port hole located 9" deep withing the air intake port. When you take a flashlight and look in there let us know if your port hole appears partially clogged. In addition, most likely you need a new IAC. It takes 15 minutes to clean the EGR port hole inside the TB and about 10 minutes to change that IAC out. Check and double check that rubber elbow too!

Not throwing any codes....I think I know the problem. Read THIS THREAD. You need to clean the throttle body but specifically check the EGR port hole located 9" deep withing the air intake port. When you take a flashlight and look in there let us know if your port hole appears partially clogged. In addition, most likely you need a new IAC. It takes 15 minutes to clean the EGR port hole inside the TB and about 10 minutes to change that IAC out.

Thank you for the quick reply! I will try this as soon as I have some time to do so which will probably be tomorrow and I will defiantly get back to you :D

Just one quick question, am I supposed to remove that black plate off of the top of the throttle body? Just want to make sure.

My leak was in the elbow and it was underneath and could not be easily seen. i would replace that elbow just the same. cheap insurance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not throwing any codes....I think I know the problem. Read THIS THREAD. You need to clean the throttle body but specifically check the EGR port hole located 9" deep withing the air intake port. When you take a flashlight and look in there let us know if your port hole appears partially clogged. In addition, most likely you need a new IAC. It takes 15 minutes to clean the EGR port hole inside the TB and about 10 minutes to change that IAC out.

Went ahead and took a quick peak, turns out I have some time to work on it today. The hole did have a ring of black grime around it, probably reducing the diameter by 1/4 of what it should be. Sure is hard to get to though...did you take your throttle body off to get to it?

Back