• Register Today It's free!

Is this normal?

Spiritwolf15x

Reaction score
City, State
Vancouver, British Columbia
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 XLT Super Cab
I just replaced the brakes on my other wise stock '94 4x4 XLT, everything went fine, swapped new pads and shoes in, filled the system, bled it and then went on a test drive. During the drive I noticed the brakes were very spongy, so I brought it back in and re-bled the brakes, got a bit of air out, tried the test drive again, brakes were still a bit spongy so I tried bleeding them again and no air came out so I went for yet another test drive and they were still a bit spongy.

Are stock 94 explorer brakes just spongy by nature or is something more serious wrong with them? I'm not loosing fluid and the brakes are working rather well, they just engage late in the press.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

how old is the master cylinder? i had that problem, reran all new lines (hard and flex) then brakes all the way around, had that feeling, no matter how much bleeding they sucked.. replaced that master and tapped the breaks after a bleed job and about threw the passenger threw a window

I'm assuming the master cylinder is about as old as the truck.

May want to have the brake fluid flushed. I experienced the same thing when I did my brakes and I couldn't bleed them adequately. Thought it was a bad master cylinder but had the system flushed and it was fine.

The brakes will engage later as the truck gets older. I had this same issue with my truck but at the end of the day I don't drive it much and it still stops

Back