• Register Today It's free!

AWD problem?

JESSIJAMES

Reaction score
City, State
BRONX, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2005 XLT 4.0 6 cylinder
While driving today, my truck started making a slight tick, tick sound. While making a slight right, I heard a loud squeal. I found a mechanic who said it was the sway bar and I would be able to make it home okay (about 70 miles). On the way home it started making a grinding sound. Well about 6-7 miles from home the grinding sound got pretty bad, so I pulled over and checked underneath. Everything seemed okay so I started driving again. About a mile down the road both the grinding noise and my steering got really bad, then my 4x4 light started blinking and my Advanced Trac light came on. Needless to say, I pulled over and had the truck flatbedded to my mechanic. I had my sway bar links done about a month ago. The tow truck driver thinks it may be my AWD because the sway bar appears to be intact and is not loose in any way. I have 244,000 miles and am not sure if it's going to be worth fixing. Any advice or personal experience with something like this would be greatly appreciated.

Update on AWD problem?

Ok well it turned out to be my front left bearings. Apparently there's a sensor there that set off the lights. Very grateful that it wasn't something with my 4x4.

Back