• Register Today It's free!

Cheap front lift?

sLoWnStEaDy

Reaction score
City, State
Palo, Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer XLT
I have been looking and see the TT (or keys) is good for 1.5"-2" and I see the 2" coil spring spacers and 1.5"-2" lift springs. all together that would net me roughly the same amount of lift as the SOA in the rear but I assume that could cause some issues in the front end somewhere?

It's a '95, XLT 4x4, looking to clear 35 x 12.5 on stock rims, I am ok trimming a little if needed afterwards. I don't do anything too crazy, mainly use it for hunting but I like the mud and there are some trails on our land as well. No crazy angles or jumps or anything like that, LOL. Just some slow cruising through the fields and snow/mud depending on the weather. I know I can do a body lift and then TT/shackles and get 5" or so of lift but I just do not like the look of body lifts.

TT = Free
SOA = $50-$100
Coil Spacers = $50
coil springs = $150
shocks = ???
misc. = ???

I am trying to read more but I only have internet on my phone right now so it is really hard to do! Sorry

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

TT = Free
SOA = $50-$100
Coil Spacers = $50
coil springs = $150
shocks = ???
misc. = ???

your ex is torsion bar front end - not coil spring - so im confused as to how you plan on adding coil spacers and coil springs? also 35s on stock gears might be pushing it - so you gotta throw in extra $for a re gear to push that size tire. also a torsion twist to clear 35s would be stiff beyond belief - so it wouldnt ride well on the trail. SOA also lifts the rear ~5-6 inches so she would ride nose down

that being said - plenty of guys on here run 35s with independent front suspension - but i think they all run factory lift kits as a TT would be insufficient for the needed lift.

from a cost standpoint you could probly go with 33s. stock gears could still work, TT lift would suffice with a little trim, and itd be a better ride for your budget (and i agree - body lifts dont look that good )

goodluck with your rig!

my bad... I just seen a bunch of companies offering front lift coils for 91-97 explorers, didn't even think about it to be honest.

I might just do it the ugly way, 3" BL and go 33"s. It is just that 35"s and 33"s around here cost pretty much the same so I figure, bigger/better. Forgive me, here are the last two 4X4's I built.

I never should have gotten rid of the F100. 9" rear, D60 front, 5.12's, lockers, 40x16.5x15 SS's, 360/4spd, '80 GMC box, engine mods...

sorry if my post sounded negative, was just trying to give you a heads up (trust me... ive had ideas before and that "oh sh** moment where you realize it wont work always sucks :rolleyes: )

but looking at those pics - i cant wait to see what you turn the X into! looks like you have a taste for beautiful fords. and nice F100 i love the paint job on it!

sorry if my post sounded negative, was just trying to give you a heads up (trust me... ive had ideas before and that "oh sh** moment where you realize it wont work always sucks :rolleyes: )

but looking at those pics - i cant wait to see what you turn the X into! looks like you have a taste for beautiful fords. and nice F100 i love the paint job on it!

No problem, I appreciate it, I should have known as I mentioned the Torsion twist so I knew there weren't coil springs. Not sure what I was thinking! hahaha

Thanks for the compliments, I LOVED the F100!! The white/green is actually glow in the dark paint, it was pretty awesome the first time we took it out! It actually got another 2" of lift after that picture was taken. had a 9" suspension kit, 3" body lift then after that pic, a shackle flip and coil spacers for another 2"-3" of lift. we forgot to consider the height of my garage door when we built it and had to drive it out of the garage on bare steel rims, even then it was a tight squeeze for my 7ft door. Which is really funny because we did the same thing the year before when I built the Bronco! Hard to remember the door is only 7ft when the ceilings are like 14' or so...

I don't plan to get nearly as crazy with the Explorer though as it will still be a "somewhat daily driver". I have a 3.4L DOHC swapped '87 Fiero, a '73 Mach One with a 466 and a CBR900RR for the summer but only the Explorer for the winter (which is why I bought it yesterday)

hows this look instead?
3" BL = $150
2" torsion keys = $50
2" add-a-leaf = $50
some trimming = free

I might get 33"s instead of 35"s, just depends on the price and the "heat of the moment". In all honesty, my '87 4Runner I used last year with nothing but 31"s more than did the job, just wasn't too exciting to look at! LOL

sounds good! the only thing id say is you might want to look into a 2'' BL instead of 3''. im not sure what models/years etc but i know on some explorers a 2inch body lift is just body spacers and relocate the fan shrowd but once you go up to 3inches it also requires an extension for the steering shaft (which ive heard is a PIA to do)

here is a picture of my baby - 31's and a tt/shackle. used to run 33s but when they went bald i went back down to 31s

unledyxc.png

unled1zs.png

In all honesty, my '87 4Runner I used last year with nothing but 31"s more than did the job, just wasn't too exciting to look at!

Hey hey hey, don't knock the Runners, man! ;)

If I could combine the offroad prowess of my '86 4Runner with the comfort and load capacity of my '00 Explorer, I'd be a happy happy happy dude.

4726353574_4be3175576_b.jpg

My 4Runner on the left.

6137282760_c48cc96b09_b.jpg

Splodey's feeling the weight a little here, but the Toyota wouldn't have made it out the driveway with that load!

Well, I wanted 33"s but just couldn't find any around here that weren't completely trashed and extremely overpriced. I ended up getting a set of 35"s and two sets of rims (that don't fit the explorer, haha) for $200. I will make my money back selling the extra rims and then I will probably just buy adapters (they are 5x5.5 rims).

As for making them fit, I am doing the SOA conversion, TT and the "sloped body lift" as well as I am sure a good amount of cutting. I got the Exploder for free, and when all is said and done I should have like $500 or so in it. That includes the lift, rims/tires/adapter, and 4.56 gears. We'll see how it ends up!

Back