• Register Today It's free!

1992 Leaking Pop up Sunroof

ppbskis

Reaction score
City, State
Point Pleasant Beach, NJ
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 Explorer
I have searched the threads for info on this issue. My Explorer has a pop up sunroof that I don't even know if it was factory installed. Judging from the appearance it looks factory though I am surprised there is no sunscreen or shade thing.
My problem is that I get some water leakage, I have only had the truck a week and a half so I am still getting used to it and learning things daily. It is a pop up only roof and I assume it might even be totally removable though I have not tried to take it out.
When I first discovered it leaks I looked at the gasket and assume it is 20 years old so I lubed it with some Pool O ring grease I had in the garage. Does anyone have any suggestions or experience replacing the seal?

Thanks
Joe M.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the seal is real easy to take out once the glass is removed. however a new replacement seal can be expensive so if you can find exactly where its leaking and use some clear silicone it can work just as well

Sounds like the same one I have probably the sun mate brand. Should be sticker in the glove box from when it was installed. The easy quick fix would be to take out the sun roof by releasing the three clips, the front two hinges un-clip by lifting the tabs up and the rear leaver un-clips by pushing the red center button in while pulling the entire lever towards the front of the truck.
After you have it removed clean it well with some non-solvent based degreaser. Dry it well and apply a liberal layer of petroleum jelly, just put the glass back in making sure to clip it down well and make sure the front two clips are tightly screwed into the glass. This should stop any leaking for at least a few months. Good luck!

After inspecting the roof it is a Therma Lite- Countess. Thanks for the suggestions, I will take it out and try to clean and service it this weekend. When you silicone it I presume you do not open it anymore?

no not necessarily i can still open mine all the way and closes and seals. use a silicone that sets but still stays soft then when you open/ close the roof it seals it

Back