Throttle cable mod | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Throttle cable mod

Some of you might know this already, but it's probably the #1 DIY mod on other Ford truck boards, but it isn't talked about much here. Stock, the gas pedal cable has about 3/4-1 inch of play in it. This means that you have to push down further on the pedal to get response from the motor. By eliminating that slack, you'll get better throttle response. This can be done by folding the excess cable over and zip-tying it to itself, like the pic below.

7134throttle.jpg

Very easy mod, and you can definately tell a difference. Lil tricky to get the zip ty on, but it's worth it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I think it'd be helpful if someone took a pic of the TB open all the way as a reference as to what it should look like. I mean, is this a full 90 deg. we're talking here? theres a lot of interpretation i think that could be involved.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

with the "mod" it is a full 90. basically all you see when looking in is a thin line...that's how open it gets

if you look at the side of the tb there is a groove that the butterfly's connectors sort of slide in when it opens and closes. with the mod done (or if you don't need it) at full throttle the arm should be very close to the end of that groove, but not past it to the point that it could be dangerous.

I'm so confused can someone please tell me how to do this to my 2001 Sport. Thanks this sounds awesome and what does it do really like help at WOT.

johnny island, it does help at WOT by reacting quicker (due to no/less slack) by allowing more air to get into intake. right guys?

btw.. my 97 ex did not need to have anything done to it. not sure why but i did check the other day and nothing needed to be done.

i will check my ranger sometime soon though.

This mod seems so awesome. i havent really done anything under the hood except clean the MAF sensor. If someone can do a write up a step by step on how to do this, that'd be great! THANX!!!!!

I highly reccomend this mod. If you want your engine to put out the power it is supposed to, do this mod. I was amazed at the increase.
NOTE: Increases will not be the same on all Explorers due to the throttle cable slack present before the mod. :D

10 min, some zip ties or fishing weights, and your set.

just did this mod with the fish weights.... kinda confused me at first but 5 mins later i was tappin the gas pedal and it moved ever so quickly =)

I think im missing the spring....lol

Indifference126 said:
just did this mod with the fish weights.... kinda confused me at first but 5 mins later i was tappin the gas pedal and it moved ever so quickly =)

Great idea with the fish weights, I'll need to remember that one. This mod is a must on just about any ford (its the first mod for mustangs too) If someone wants to go for a more permanent fix you can use a magnet filter that are sometimes attached to USB cables and the like. Thay are meant to clip around small cables and have their own built in clasp.

Anyone know if you can do a J-Mod on an explorer auto tranny>

i was checking this out on my 94 explorer, and my gas pedal has 2 cables. one seems like its the throttle cable, and the other one is like, a limiting cable with a spring on it.

anyone have the same setup as me and still do the mod? thanks!

Ok first off i want to say my mounty never really launched off the line that great and din't seem to kickdown like i thought it should most of the time while driving. So did the test and wow yeah about 70% open with the peddal all the way down. This is one of the reasons i don't like automatics, GMs had this problem but it was part of the tune and you need a module to fix it...

So i tryed this, (i was very skeptical) Now it launches like i think it should and kicksdown whenever i punch it to the floor.

OK and tryed the fish weights they kept poping off so i grabed two big cable ties.

Im definitely going to try this mod along with adjusting the TBS mod in another tread. Hope to get some much needed throttle response :).

One question I did have is where does the spacer go on the kick down cable for the automatic? Ive seen a few pics that were posted on where to put it on the throttle cable...but not the kick down cable.

I did sorta the same thing on mine except i put three zip ties between the spring and the pedal. it does improve performance..............even on the pushrod 4.0

Wow this is an old thread! On my current Explorer, I used fishing weights and it's a much better solution that is much easier to install than zip ties.

Fix spelling of title

Good Thread, but title needs to be fixed, so it can be found better by search.

Should be Throttle, not "trottle"

I know this is an old thread, but just wanted to chime in. For anyone lacking cable ties you could "borrow" one of these from the hand brake of your neighbors bicycle.
1393285801_zps5c14734a.jpg

This is great for getting rid of the slack in my 95 4l hov. But I also found that the tb was very sticky and not opening easy , lubed it up so it opens smoother.

Back