1990 Bronco II
explorerinter.jpg

explorer4.jpg

explorer3.jpg

explorer1.jpg

explorer.jpg

Paid 675

Soon to be solid axle swapped on 36's

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

try bleeding it you might have some air in the line

ill try bleeding it but would air make the clutch harder to push in?

How hard is it to press? Sometimes a clutch feels a bit stiffer when it's brand new (if the clutch was just replaced), especially if a heavier duty clutch was installed.

On the opposite, the pedal can be hard to press if the vehicle is having issues with the clutch, especially a throwout bearing or pressure plate.

I don't think air in the lines causes this...I had air in lines on an '86 4Runner and it made clutch pedal feel spongy, not hard...bleeding the lines is still worth a shot because it's quick and easy, but I think you may have other issues.

its decently stiff...i just bought the truck and the kid said that the clutch was just changed but i dident believe him...and its kinda had to get into gear sometimes

Either the salve wasn't changed out when said clutch was replaced
or
they used the cheapie parts store one instead of a new Motorcraft slave.
or
there is air in the system.

For some strange reason these trucks only like the dealer slave cylinders. I read dang near every post/ thread over this and even asked questions.

If a parts store one was used, and it came from autozone or advance they use a "blanket replacement" for 91-97 model years. The breakdown is 91-92 has their own slave and 93-97 has another. You can use the updated slave if you update the whole clutch hydraulic system (which runs $175 I think, at advance) but honestly I wouldn't want to go through all the trouble.

In 1993 Ford updated the hydraulics on the clutches, the parts stores sell the cheap Chinese replacement that fails prematurely. Your best bet if you can't get the air out is to buy a new dealer one. The list price is $190, however if you contact fordsvtparts on here you can get an employee discount by ordering through him. My slave for my 92 cost me just barely $140 incl shipping. If you do PM him give it a day or so to reply.

How hard is it to press? Sometimes a clutch feels a bit stiffer when it's brand new (if the clutch was just replaced), especially if a heavier duty clutch was installed.

Boy ain't that the truth.... the "HD" clutch on ebay took my knee a week to get used to the extra stiffness. Now that I'm used to it it's no big deal.

best bet is get a vacum bleeder. sears has the little hand one which is what i got. crawl under the truck and on the drivers side of the bellhousing you will see your clutch line going in. right above that is the bleeder valve its shou;ld be an 8mm. hoke the hose on and start pumping then crack the bleeder. make sure you dont suckall the fluid out. i find its better to have a friend hold the pedal down while your bleeding it

How would i go about bleeding the clutch?

It's a stupid, aggravating pain in the ass! There is a large brass hex fitting on the side of the trans next to the line. No matter what you do, you will spill brake fluid all over you and the ground. Vacuum pump doesn't work, it sucks as much air (or more) as fluid.
Get a friend, have him push and hold the pedal while you open the bleed port. tighten the port, then have your friend lift and repeat. Wear goggles and old cloths, and keep your mouth closed.

very nice first gen. are your headlights and grille intact? ill swap ya some navajo grille and lights?

vacum pump works great never had a problem bleeding my clutch or my brakes with it.

It's a stupid, aggravating pain in the ass! There is a large brass hex fitting on the side of the trans next to the line. No matter what you do, you will spill brake fluid all over you and the ground. Vacuum pump doesn't work, it sucks as much air (or more) as fluid.
Get a friend, have him push and hold the pedal while you open the bleed port. tighten the port, then have your friend lift and repeat. Wear goggles and old cloths, and keep your mouth closed.

will the hex fitting be on the drivers side or passenger side...do i just add fluid to that reservoir under the hood?

will the hex fitting be on the drivers side or passenger side...do i just add fluid to that reservoir under the hood?

Drivers side. Almost directly center of drivers floor board. It's brass and probably the cleanest piece on your transmission. If you find the slave cylinder line look directly above it about 1-2 inches. This is the item in question.

Yes the small reservoir directly on the firewall is the clutch master cylinder/ reservoir.

Okay thanks I'll give it a shot this weekend and we will see how it goes

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back