DDM Tuning HIDs! Amazing! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

DDM Tuning HIDs! Amazing!

I plan to get 5k or 4500k, it sounds like with DDM from the other HID thread that 5k is still bluer than you would expect, so I may go 4500. I called a local HID shop to see about price and install, and he was all ready to sell me a 6000K because it had "That blue HID look", and he sounded like I slapped him when I told him I don't care what other people think it looks like, I just want the best light output.

People can use what they want, but it does surprise me how often safety and convenience is put aside for the perception of cool, even if less than 10% of the people you come across will even think they are cool at all.

In the end, if someone is happy with their car, and not putting me in danger for it, more power to them. As for the tint, my step-dad got a note from his eye doctor that he needed darker than legal tint for his car (a pre-production 2012 5.0 Mustang), and just carries the note with him. I don't think I want darker tint, but if you know your opto well enough, that's something you can ask them for...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I plan to get 5k or 4500k, it sounds like with DDM from the other HID thread that 5k is still bluer than you would expect, so I may go 4500. I called a local HID shop to see about price and install, and he was all ready to sell me a 6000K because it had "That blue HID look", and he sounded like I slapped him when I told him I don't care what other people think it looks like, I just want the best light output.

My DDM 5000K's were pure white... But then again, cheap aftermarket bulbs have so much inconsistencies, you could end up with amber or ice blue... Just depends on your luck I guess...

I don't even think DDM lists a 4500, its listed as 4300 which is the OEM color....

My DDM 5000K's were pure white... But then again, cheap aftermarket bulbs have so much inconsistencies, you could end up with amber or ice blue... Just depends on your luck I guess...

I don't even think DDM lists a 4500, its listed as 4300 which is the OEM color....

Ah yeah, 4300, that was it. I may just go 5000K, we'll see.

Did you have to cut the dust cap to run the wires? Did you get spare dust caps in case you go back to OEM?

ddm DOES have 4500.....4300 is what stock HIDS normally are...

hid-color-chart-projector.jpg

Ah yeah, 4300, that was it. I may just go 5000K, we'll see.

Did you have to cut the dust cap to run the wires? Did you get spare dust caps in case you go back to OEM?

I don't have a 2011, so I don't really have that problem :p I never put the dust caps back on in my car but it would really be better to cut a small x and run the wires through the dust cap.

ddm DOES have 4500.....4300 is what stock HIDS normally are...

hid-color-chart-projector.jpg

Ha, good old ddm... the last set of bulbs I bought from them are indeed 4300K....

In another HID post, a member said that for the DDM set, that the metal strip on the bulb should face down. When I line up the tabs the same as the factory bulbs, my metal strips are on top.....

Which direction should they be? Just installed mine today, and the light pattern seems off. Is the a way to reverse it?

I took pictures of it shining on a wall, but how do I post pictures?

side note, I noticed that the orange rubber o-ring on the HID bulbs was a lot thicker than the stock bulbs, the bulb would not seat because of this, I had to swap the orange rubber o-rings with the stock before they would seat into place......

Buyer beware.. this was put together and published by a ddm employee..

DDM is known for their HID's

I know its hit or miss w/ the bulbs/ballasts, but I think I got a good set. They will repair/fix and bulb/ballast issue. I picked HID's over the Halogens because they have alot better output-- I went w/ the 35W because the 55W has color fading over time and I didnt want that.

In another HID post, a member said that for the DDM set, that the metal strip on the bulb should face down. When I line up the tabs the same as the factory bulbs, my metal strips are on top.....

Which direction should they be? Just installed mine today, and the light pattern seems off. Is the a way to reverse it?

I took pictures of it shining on a wall, but how do I post pictures?

side note, I noticed that the orange rubber o-ring on the HID bulbs was a lot thicker than the stock bulbs, the bulb would not seat because of this, I had to swap the orange rubber o-rings with the stock before they would seat into place......

The return wire is SUPPOSED to face down, but often enough with PnP bulbs, it just doesn't happen... Just put it in however it fits, thats all you can do

Buyer beware.. this was put together and published by a ddm employee..

That picture is so old, and was actually made to slander DDM because they were taking so much business away from the other websites selling PnP kits... The fact is, the majority of PnP "companies" are guilty of this, its all the same generic crap

DDM is known for their HID's

I know its hit or miss w/ the bulbs/ballasts, but I think I got a good set. They will repair/fix and bulb/ballast issue. I picked HID's over the Halogens because they have alot better output-- I went w/ the 35W because the 55W has color fading over time and I didnt want that.

Its called "color shifting", and most bulbs, especially aftermarket ones will do it. They will get dimmer and dimmer, and bluer and bluer as time goes on.

55W washes color out to the lower end of the kelvin scale, for instance, my 6000K bulb looked 4300 with 55W. Color shifting makes the bulb color go higher up the kelvin scale. For instance, a 5000K bulb that is used up will have the appearance of a 6 to 8000K bulb.

5000K or 6000K would've both looked better, and preformed better, but at least you put your PnP kit in halogen projectors, unlike a lot of people out there.

I'd like to see output shots.

That picture is so old, and was actually made to slander DDM because they were taking so much business away from the other websites selling PnP kits... The fact is, the majority of PnP "companies" are guilty of this, its all the same generic crap

im sure those who crashed and totaled their cars on ****y coilovers and those who have burned wires and put out hood fires because of their lovely chinese made crap really care..

fact is you read hundreds more complaints and horror stories about this outfit then all others combined therefore they cant possibly all sell the "same junk", if thats not clue enough that they are to avoided as the plague i dont know what is.

I have a ddm tuning kit in my other car (not the ex) and i know a couple of people who have bought them and while i personally never had any problems w/ the ordering process i've had a ton of problems with the ballasts. On my car one side would require you to turn the headlights on and off a few times before it would fire, and on my friends civic sometimes neither of them fire and you have to turn on/off 5 or 6 times!! My other friend had the same problem with his Bronco which continued even after they sent him new ballasts under warranty. Also one of my bulbs that i had in my foglights stopped working cause one of the wires just fell out of the bulb...in short, the ballasts are cheap, i would definetly NOT reccomend!!
DDM is junk, heck just search online and on forums and you can see peoples issues with them. It's one of those things where the saying "you get what you pay for" stands true. Yeh there are setups that cost more, sometimes quite a lot more, but well worth it for the quality and reliability.

So I bought some DDM Tuning HIDs for the Explorer. I hated the stock ones.

Came w/ Slim Ballasts, the Relay and the Bulbs.

I went with the 8000K cause I wanted the Blue-ish color. Needless to say it looks amazing. Install was easy! Plug and play!

If you guys are interested in some nice HIDs to install. Choose DDM.

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-HID-Kit-Slim-Ballast-35W-or-55W

Wattage: 35W
Bulb: 9006
Color: 8000K

Let me know what you guys think!

Hi did you have to buy some sort of emulator so the computer wont throw an error message due to the lower wattage ?

Someone down here, is trying to sell me a kit for $ 300, he claims that his kit is an "H11 CAN-BUS with warning canceller"
Do I need that or its just a whole load of crap ?

i think a load of crap....i doubt these vehicles need those warning canceler

2011 Ex does not need the canceler. I did however use the harness with delay relay to ensure no problems with flickering or anything.

Im confused now, the OP says he used "9006" on his explorer.
Im just checking my owners manual, and it says "HB3" . Doing some internet research, it says that HB3 is the same as 9005.
So whats the deal then ? Do I need 9005 or 9006 kit for my explorer ?

i think a load of crap....i doubt these vehicles need those warning canceler

I thought so :D thanks

2011 Ex does not need the canceler. I did however use the harness with delay relay to ensure no problems with flickering or anything.

Where did you get your kit from ? whats the delay relay for ?

i THINK the delay relay is for when you flash your lights (highbeams) or even just the auto/off feature (going under an underpass)...my guess is that the relay will keep the lights on a tad bit longer so not to burn out the ballast/bulbs since you're not supposed to turn on/off HIDs real quick.

Just an FYI to all. I have ordered my HIDs for different cars from http://shop.3bspecialties.com/. Quick and speedy service with overnight shipped included.

When I get my Ex I will order from them again. I never had an issue with them and they post a lot of information on other forums.

I purchased a kit for my 2008 Scion Tc and another one for 2003 Honda CRV.

Ok, I received my kit yesterday and installed it this morning, I was afraid it wasnt going to work, since the OP says he installed a 9006 kit.
From what I read on the owners manual, the halogen head lamp is a HB3, so I odered a kit with 9005 bulbs.... well they fitted like a glove

9005 bulbs
35 W

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ok, I received my kit yesterday and installed it this morning, I was afraid it wasnt going to work, since the OP says he installed a 9006 kit.
From what I read on the owners manual, the halogen head lamp is a HB3, so I odered a kit with 9005 bulbs.... well they fitted like a glove

9005 bulbs
35 W

Is it plug and play or have to drill the back of dust covers for wire also how long did it take you to install these.
Thanks

Back