Tow Hook?!?!?!

HiImBrian

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
St. Petersburg, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Explorer Eddie Bauer
For those of you who have installed the F-150 tow hooks on your Ex, were they this GIANT?

towho.jpg

And does anyone know the bolt size I'll need?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i got them on my ST and they are awesome! unfortunately, i got stuck in a really bad spot, and had to get pulled from a bad angle and now im down to one tow hook. the stampe on the frame that the tow hook was mounted to snapped before the hook, now i have to figure out how to get it welded back on. but the tow hook itself is a beast. just make sure you get grade 8 bolts. i dont remember offhand what size i use, but i think it might be 5/8

yeah theyre pretty big and weigh a lot more than expected. that looks different than mine however, but mine came off a 99 expedition...

I have to other style but yes those things are giant pictures dont do justice i wasnt expecting mine to be as big as they are but i love them, they are a great addition

I went down to home depot and got 4 of each. 1/2"x2" Grade 5 hex bolts & 1/2" Grade 5 Serrated Hex Flange Nuts. Some say use grade 8 which yes you could.
Grade 8: tensile strength is 150,000 lbs per square inch
Grade 5: tensile strength is 120,000 lbs per square inch
So go with what you can find. I couldn't find a serrated Hex flange nut in grade 8. So I used the grade 5, and I can tell you that its a hell of alot stronger then the stock bolts/bracket.

Some say use grade 8 which yes you could.
Grade 8: tensile strength is 150,000 lbs per square inch

Grade 8 can become brittle over time. i'd use grade 5

I held it up to the opening and I guess it is the right size.... I just didn't expect them to be damn near the size of my steering wheel. They are going on after I do my BL.

Grade 5 it is then. I got them on ebay, 35$ shipped. And I ran my tank really low so my mechanic could smoke it, I have a bad evap sensor.... That's what is throwing the engine code...

Grade 8 can become brittle over time. i'd use grade 5

Sorry, but this in not a true statement. Grade 8 and grade 5 are the same brittleness. Time is not relevent. Both are carbon steel, and both are in fact ductile. The difference in the two grades is the yield stength of the steel.

And yes I am an engineer, and off road enthusiast.

Grade 8 bolts are more desirable than grade 5.

Sorry, but this in not a true statement. Grade 8 and grade 5 are the same brittleness. Time is not relevent. Both are carbon steel, and both are in fact ductile. The difference in the two grades is the yield stength of the steel.

Just passing on the information I was told, but I'll believe an engineer over the general population, thank you for clarifing this for me

Good to know because I definitely used Grade 8 bolts when I installed my body lift. glad to know they are preferred over grade 5.

Good to know because I definitely used Grade 8 bolts when I installed my body lift. glad to know they are preferred over grade 5.

Personaly I only would use grade 10.9 that's what mine have and that's what I used for body lift... My family's safety is not worth saving a few bucks I'd use the best I can get and I had to go to fastenal but not a big deal at all

For the amount of weight you'll ever have too pull. Both grades would be fine, just don't use the factory bolts/brakets. They're really weak comparied to grade 5 or 8. I've seen a few F-150's tow hooks do a fly-by before. The issue was always the braket, not the bolts. Or get them welded on, then you don't have to worry. :)

Id use chevy tow hooks to be honest I got mine off a silverado

the nice thing about these hooks are you can slip a tug rope around the loop.

with the f-150 hooks you either have to loop or use a clevis with the hook

Looping it will result in a extremely tight knot which is a pain in the ass to get out.

using a knot extremely weakens the strength of the knot, not a good choice. and is the factory stuff really that weak

Welding is less desirable that bolting. Welding creates stess in the metal and is more likely to fail in a brittle (catastrophic) failire. Welding is very dependent on the ability of and limitations of the welder. Bolts are heat treated to remove internal stress created during their machining process. Bolt system tend to fail in a ductile or elastic (streching) failure.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ahh i see we have an engineer in our midst....

but yes welding is a no go, despite welds high yield points...tow hooks should be designed to snap before your frame bends

Back