Design a system | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Design a system

aldive

Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1999 XLT
Lets design a super system, money no objective, with the following qualifications:

Not for loud playing
Clear clean music only
Subwoofer must be installed in rear cargo area ( no extra room taken u

What HU, what speakers ( as well as type ), what amp(s), what sub, what wiring, etc.p )

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Head: Sony ES CDX-C90

Speakers: Focal Untopia components in kick's

Front Amp: Butler Tube

No rear speakers

Audio Control Equalization

Not sure about sub amp, maybe an ESX

Velodyne sub

Don't give a crap about wires, whatever I have in the garage will due.

I would go with Boston Acoustic Pro Series components for the front with Boston Acoustic Mids for the rear. I would use JL audio amps. Then for the bass I would probably go with one 12" JL W7 also amped by JL. Finally for the head unit, I would go with multimedia all the way. Maybe an Alpine 1006 or the Pioneer AVX-P7300DVD. Since money is no objective, there are unlimited options to building a sweet stereo system.

Mike

10 funky pup subs
10 pyramid 1000 watt amps
and sony xplod mids/highs
stock HU

10" focal Utopia sub, or boston acoustics 10, mcintosh amps, focal Utopia or a/d/s components (6.5 or 5.25) nakamichi CD700 deck

you could do 5.25s front and rear, or do 6.5s front, 5.25s rear, or 6.5s all the way around, tahts up to you, putting the tweeter below the mid in a kickpanel =should level the soundstage around your ears, although I'm not very good at that. you could even do a 12" focal sub, and 2 8" subs in the rear doors for midbass, you'd have outstanding freq. response

Head Unit: Alpine IVA C-800
Front Speakers: Focal 165W3 (3way Utopia Series)
Rear Speakers: Focal 165K2 (2way PolyKevlar Series)
Subwoofer: Nakamichi SP-W120 (2)

Don't know about amps....Probably around 150 watts RMS to the components up front....100 watts RMS to the rears. 250-300 watts RMS to each sub.

Steve

Originally posted by 2001ExpSport
Anything by Jensen

Yeah, Yeah, Yeah

:rolleyes:

Money no object, huh?

Head Unit: Denon DCT-Z1
Front Stage: Focal Xpert and Audiom TLR
Rear: None
Amps: Brax
Subs: Velodyne or a/d/s/ rs.2

Pure SQ. I need to win the lottery.

peace

Mike

i would get....

Focal Utopia 3-way, 165W3
Zapco Amplifiers
Image Dynamics IDMAX sub or IDQ for more SQ
Eclipse HU
Pro-Con Deading Material

High Quality wiring can make all the differnce in the world! If you going to spent Thousands on hardware don't skimp any where

i would get....

Focal Utopia 3-way, 165W3
Zapco Amplifiers
Image Dynamics IDMAX sub or IDQ for more SQ
Eclipse HU
Pro-Con Deading Material

High Quality wiring can make all the differnce in the world! If you going to spent Thousands on hardware don't skimp any where

Velodyne doesn't make car audio anymore....

How about Cove subs?

(I cant think of anything good, but this came to mind since nobody mentioned it)

do you mean Kove subs?

they are more known for spl than sq (especially the Armageddons)

Oh, sorry. Thats what I meant, I've never seen any of the subs, so I didint know how it was spelled :D

I was just told that one of their subs hold a world record or something like that and that they had one of their models for sale in a local audio shop.

Just out of curiousity who makes some of the best HUs in terms of sound quality.

Originally posted by ok89
Just out of curiousity who makes some of the best HUs in terms of sound quality.

A supplement to that question..... can an average person "hear" any difference in sound quality from a HU?

Thanks.....

for sure, you will notice that the music has more definition and is more crisp. It sounds more "real".

Originally posted by nytefog
for sure, you will notice that the music has more definition and is more crisp. It sounds more "real".

Isn't that more of a speaker function?

Thanks.....

i think its sort of like the saying "a chain is only as strong as its weakest link"

A system's sound quality is only as good as its worst component

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

unless you have fade :D

I have stock rear speakers and everything else is aftermarket.. I can fade my rear speaks off by fading it all the way forward.. good for sound staging too like that.

only reason I keep anything back there is so my friends will quit whining about not being able to hear the words over my 12s lol and for talk radio in the mornings.. gotta have my lex and terry on the way to campus or I can't get on with my day.

Back