• Register Today It's free!

New to me 2003 XLT - Rides Rough

swaldrop

Reaction score
City, State
Lithia, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Ford Explorer XLT
I just bought a 2003 XLT 4.0 RWD with 92k miles. The car is in great shape but seems to ride really rough.

Disclaimer: To be fair, we are coming from a 2010 Honda Odyssey which I realize is like apples to the Explorer's oranges.

I would be willing to order up some parts to improve the ride as I know it is getting up there in miles. I just don't know what to get.

Ball Joints? Struts? Shocks? Compared to the monthly mortgage payment we were paying on the Van, these parts seem pretty cheap, so a fresh set of 'fill-in-the-blank' is most likely not out of the question.

Any tips on what to look, listen or feel for would be great.

Also, any advice on where to source the parts would be a bonus. I am not a car mechanic, but did spend 11 years working on commercial jets so I don't think these parts would be too tough to change.

Thanks in advance.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome aboard!! :salute:

Check the rear springs. Broken rear springs is a common problem.

Good luck! :D:thumbsup:

Please keep us posted as feedback helps others reading this post looking for a fix to the same or similar issue!

Welcome aboard!! :salute:

Check the rear springs. Broken rear springs is a common problem.

Good luck! :D:thumbsup:

Please keep us posted as feedback helps others reading this post looking for a fix to the same or similar issue!

upper/lower ball joints, if you go oem they're about $24 ea. Check the struts for leaks. Bushing front and rear, most of your common fail points. God only knows how rough the other owner was.

It's a truck. It's gonna ride like a truck. I have an 02' and I thought it rode nice in the begining compared to my 1st gen, but it definately rides like a truck. I have lots of new pieces and it still rides that way. The larger tires have by far made it worse. Look through your suspension but I would guess its the "apples to oranges" comparison. Our minivan rides like a dream compared to the Ex. Best of luck on your ride.

Well, I took it in and it turned out to just be tires. They pulled them off the car and every one of them were self destructing and had weird swollen parts on the tread. They looked great up until that point but I guess they were just old and had had enough of the Florida heat. I had them take a look at the rest of the suspension bits while they had it up and they said everything looked good.

Set of new tires and it rides great now. It does ride like a truck, but I am OK with that as long as it doesn't do what it was doing, we are good.

Thanks for the help. I am sure I will have more questions.

Glad you got it sorted, and thanks for keeping us posted!! ;)

That's one I like about my Ex, the fact that it rides like a truck. A little stiffer suspension than you'd imagine for a $52,000 SUV(04' Eddie Bauer V8 Window Sticker Price, I even still have the original), but, It's still comfortable enough to take it on long trips.

Haha yes, the depreciation in value is incredible. I bought mine 4 years old, with 36k miles on the clock for around 17,900.

Back