• Register Today It's free!

Engine Ticking Noise 2006 4.6 EB

scubat

Reaction score
City, State
west palm beach, fl
Year, Model & Trim Level
2006 Eddie Bauer V8
My 2006 V8 EB started the annoying engine ticking noise at start up about 3-4 months ago or ~65k miles. It definetly sounds like lifters or an exhaust leak mainly coming from the passenger side wheel well. It increases with engine RPM and lasts until the engine is warm (a few minutes). I have had the truck since new and have had every conceivable maintanence done on the truck using Motorcraft parts. I read some old posts and it looks like it could be a cracked manifold, Lash Lifters or VCT?

The truck is under Premier Care so I brought it in to my Local Ford dealer, let them keep it over night and they could not figure out what was causing the noise. They said the Factory told them it was normal. I called the Factory to complain and the representative basically told me I should not call and complain about a dealer and that the noise was normal. I told him I have owned the truck since new and know every sound the truck makes and that this was not a normal noise! Anyway, it has been a few months since then and it is still ticking and seems to be lasting longer now.

My question is, should I take it back to that dealer or try another one? Should I get Ford Corporate back involved? Anyone with similar noises who have had it fixed at a Ford Dealer and can offer advice? I love this truck and want to keep it for a long time but this sucks! Thank you all.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I also have the same problem also does my neighbor on his mercury so I am guessing its normal.

I also have the same problem also does my neighbor on his mercury so I am guessing its normal.

Did your noises occur out of no where or have it always made the noise? Mine is pretty loud also. It echoes off the houses when you accelerate down the street! This can't be normal.

there is a tsb over this....

ISSUE:
Some vehicles equipped with 4.6L, 5.4L, and 6.8L 3-valve engines built between 1/11/2006 and 2/14/2006 may exhibit a loud ticking noise in the valve train area. This may be caused by a stuck/collapsed lash adjuster.

ACTION:
Verify engine build date, isolate, and replace any stuck/collapsed lash adjuster by following the Service Procedure.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Check date code on the engine, located on the engine timing cover.
Date code between 1/11/2006 and 2/14/2006, proceed to Step 2.
Date code NOT between 1/11/2006 and 2/14/2006, this TSB does not apply, perform normal diagnostics.
Isolate the source of the noise to the cam cover on either Bank 1 or Bank 2. If the noise is not isolated to either cam cover, this TSB does not apply. Follow normal Workshop Manual (WSM) procedures for additional diagnostics.
Remove the appropriate cam cover.
Check for stuck/collapsed lash adjuster(s) by placing the cam lobe on the base circle and inspecting for loose cam followers as a result of the lash adjuster plunger being bottomed out.
NOTE: A COLLAPSED LASH ADJUSTER WILL RESULT IN EXCESSIVE CLEARANCE BETWEEN THE LASH ADJUSTER AND THE CAM FOLLOWER.

NOTE: WHEN CHECKING "3V" LASH ADJUSTERS - A "SPONGY" LASH ADJUSTER IS NORMAL WHEN OIL PRESSURE IS "NOT" APPLIED.

Replace only the affected lash adjuster(s) on the affected bank(s) following the procedures outlined in the appropriate WSM, Section 303.

I have same problem on my 06 v8. I got 121k miles and for the past 20k miles or so I have the noise, I know it was not there before. It sounds like an exhaust leak, or injector (but too loud) or valvetrain noise. It's annoying, but not planning to do anything yet.

I was curious about the TSB above but need to check my engine build date. I am assuming the dealer would have checked if this TSB when the truck was in?

I have an '07 with the V8 and they just looked at this noise. They called up Ford and they said it was normal. I don't know....it does not sound normal. By the way, I only hear it at idle or park.

I think I get a little of that noise on my 07 V8, only when cold (and only noticeable outside).

Can someone help me find the engine date code and decipher it to? I see a metal plate with numbers on the valve cover drivers side. Is this right? Thanks.

I have a 4.6 in another vehicle, and they say to use the Motorcraft oil filter. It helps with the ticking at start up. They have a better valve that keeps the oil pressure up at start up.

I use nothing but Motorcraft parts on my truck.

I had the same noise on my 2006 EB 4.6. Could hear it in the passenger wheel well for about 40 seconds after startup. Took it to one dealer and they said they could not hear the noise. Took it to a different dealer and they said the exhaust manifold gasket needed to be replaced. They replaced it and the noise went away.

I had the same noise on my 2006 EB 4.6. Could hear it in the passenger wheel well for about 40 seconds after startup. Took it to one dealer and they said they could not hear the noise. Took it to a different dealer and they said the exhaust manifold gasket needed to be replaced. They replaced it and the noise went away.

It sure sounds like an exhaust leak on my Explorer also but the dealer said it was not the manifold. I am not convinced though. Frustrating!

fmlman -

did they replace the gasket under warranty, or you had to pay, and how much.

fmlman -

did they replace the gasket under warranty, or you had to pay, and how much.

I have the premium care warranty so they replaced it under warranty. They broke a couple of studs and had to drill them out and replace them. Being a warranty repair I'm sure they lost money on it which probably why the first dealer didn't want to touch it.

Thanks, I was concerned about the studs, I might just drive my "diesel" little longer :)

Some say to pull the engine out to do the job.

Is there a TSB for the exhaust manifold gasket replacement?

Back