• Register Today It's free!

torsion bar question

med

Reaction score
City, State
hope, ar
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 X xlt 4x
Is it necessary to loctite the bolts when you do a tt? I noticed the passenger side is 1 inch lower on the right front. I check the torssion bolts and the driver side is normal. But on the passenger side it looks like the bolt has backed all the way out and the part that the bolt end touches is resting on the bar that the bolt screws into. I noticed mainly because it recently started pulling to the right some.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have not personally had to use Lock Tite when adjusting torsion bars. However, I guess it would not hurt anything, just DON'T use RED, use BLUE Lock Tite. Red is for permanent applications, but I guess with a big enough wrench, you could turn the bolt.

It is normal that the bolts are turned in a different amount side to side. Does the truck sit level? If so, leave it alone. The torsion bar bolts are one time use coated bolts from Ford, so yes to blue loctite. However, under load, they should not back out without it. If you unload the torsion bars or decrease the load while adding vibration, they may indeed back out. Most people seem to just leave them dry and don't often complain of them backing out.

Never had them back out on me, had 3 2nd gens that all needed adjusting to sit level too.

The torsion bars are not the same size, so the bolts won't be the same.

Readjusted today. It sat an inch lower on the passenger side. The bolt had backed all the way out. The end of the bolt was even with the top of the cross bar that it threads into. The driver side was fine....but that was the side with the new bolt. Maybe the problem was that the passenger side had been remived and put back.....if they ate a one time use bolt.

Pass
2011-09-25102508.jpg

Drivr
2011-09-25102440.jpg

Red Loctite will let go if you heat it to about 300 degrees.

Back