• Register Today It's free!

New tire advice

Teejay4490

Reaction score
City, State
Tallahassee, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
02 XLT 4x4
Im getting new tires tomorrow and basically I just wanted some input from everyone on what tires they had, whether they liked them or not, how long they lasted etc etc..And id also like to know whats the biggest i can go with minimal to no scrubbing?

TJ

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

That sounds good to me I can put up with alittle rubbing until january till i get the 1.5" body lift. I just dont wanna buy tires twice or look like a dork with small tires.

As far as brands for A/T's a lot of folks seem to like the Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs.

I recently was introduced to Treadwright Guard Dog MTs and I was very impressed. At around $100-$110 a tire in that size you can't beat them for cost, and their customer service is reported to be top notch. I just ordered a set:

https://www.treadwright.com/default.aspx

If you google Treadwright Guard Dog MT the reviews are great across the board too.

Yeah I see the duratracs alot and those treadwrights looked pretty damn good. What made you not want the mickey thompsons anymore? I think the ATZ's look damn good and my buddy has had 2 sets on his F150 over 4 years so they last awhile

Yeah I see the duratracs alot and those treadwrights looked pretty damn good. What made you not want the mickey thompsons anymore? I think the ATZ's look damn good and my buddy has had 2 sets on his F150 over 4 years so they last awhile

Traction wise and durability wise the ATZs have been great, but they are load range E so my truck rides like an armored car. They were also tough to balance but I hear that is the case with the ATZs sometimes.

I decided to go with the treadwrights in load range C for a better street ride and because its easier on the wallet if I need to replace one.

215657_1016614154312_1793875816_29996_6226825_n.jpg

my friends truck^^

Yeah that makes alotta sense. Theyre quite expensive when my buddy told me what he paid for his tires I almost **** a brick lol.

215657_1016614154312_1793875816_29996_6226825_n.jpg

my friends truck^^

Yeah that makes alotta sense. Theyre quite expensive when my buddy told me what he paid for his tires I almost **** a brick lol.

Yeah they're not cheap. I guess I hit a curb or something with one of them because I got a little bubble in the sidewall of one...fortunately its my spare but that's what got me thinking about the treadwrights to save money since they cost half of what I paid for the ATZs

Yeah those treadwrights looked pretty sweet too, its def gonna be a hard decision. One problem im looking at is I drive 50 miles everyday AT LEAST and my tires are horrible im just waiting to have a blowout so I need to get tires soon. With how cheap theyre tires are buying another set after these wouldnt be too big of a deal. Ill make into some sort of an excuse to get wheels too.

James, keep us updated on how you like those retreads. I have heard both good and bad things but no one can argue the price thats for sure.

I was actually put onto them by Wills05XLT4x4. He has them on his 1.5" bodylifted 2005 X and I got to see them in action this past weekend at the GW Forest run. They did great from what I saw. Looking at the tires you wouldn't even know they were retreads. He can also speak to their customer service.

Well they must be pretty solid if someone took them out in the forest and they did good

wow yea I am reading the reviews and this long term review and I have to say I am impressed..might look into ordering some 285 when I get home ;)

Those tires look really good. So I can fit 265/75/16 on a stock 4wd 03 explorer?

Those tires look really good. So I can fit 265/75/16 on a stock 4wd 03 explorer?

yes ^

my 245/65/17 hankook dynapro atm rf10's handled great in mud, snow, rain and are relativly quiet on the road. i have cooper discoverer stt's on my truck now, theyre loud on the highway, great in the mud and horrible in rain/slick roads. havent read much about the duratracs but im already certain they will be my next set of new tires.

As far as brands for A/T's a lot of folks seem to like the Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs.

I recently was introduced to Treadwright Guard Dog MTs and I was very impressed. At around $100-$110 a tire in that size you can't beat them for cost, and their customer service is reported to be top notch. I just ordered a set:

https://www.treadwright.com/default.aspx

If you google Treadwright Guard Dog MT the reviews are great across the board too.

I had the SAME page favorited when I was looking for tires. A friend told me about them and said they were great, but then I saw they were retreads and I caught a chill... I've heard a lot of bad things about retread tires. Then another friend told me that most semi tractor-trailers use retreads because new ones are so expensive, and they put loads of miles on those.

JAMES! As soon as you get them let me know what they're like. Give them a thumbs up and I'll order a set straight away. Oh and I hope your move is going well!

What I'll order: https://www.treadwright.com/p-52-285-70r17-guard-dog-m-t-d.aspx

I'm liking my Duratrac's :D

IMG_0065.jpg

looks like you might be able to talk to renzAy34134. hes had his guard dogs for awhile now

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I've run the treadwright on my old 01' ranger before. I beat the **** out of them, and never had a problem. They are a little softer then your goodyears, but the do hold up and stick to the road better. I'm going to get the 265/70R17 GUARD DOG M/T as soon as my lift is on.

Back