Mustang SOHC engine swap coming... | Page 5 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Mustang SOHC engine swap coming...

I should have been a bit clearer...

I stated the newer Mustang engines being used were 05-06 model year... That is in no way saying those are the only model years that can be used...

Those were just the model year engines that became available for purchase at that time...The newer the engine generally the better off you would be for longevity and newness of the assembly...

And the 5R55E trans bolts directly to the newer engine like it was built to fit... Others have used the Explorer injector harness to may the swap easier than using the Mustang parts...I believe the Mustang oil filter adapter can be used but it sits at a different angle than the Explorer oil filter adapter...

And the engine from both configuration of donors have been used without any concern for the balance shaft...Some used it, some didn't...

You REALLY should pull threads from others that documented this swap and see exactly what each one did to complete the tasks... Here are a couple to get you started...And look for posts from Stangsteeda and Mr2fix2it for their journals on doing this engine swap...

http://216.189.1.23/forums/showthread.php?t=244859&highlight=mustang+engine+swap

http://216.189.1.23/forums/showthread.php?t=286856

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just curious how everyone elses Explorer is doing with the Mustang motor in it.

Its been almost 10 months and over 10,000 miles it runs great.No troubles at all, passes New York State emissions tests. Never had a check engine light come on.Runs smooth actually probably smoother than original! But fuel milage is still bad.

I've had mine in for almost a year and around 15,000 miles. All is well, no vibrations, no check engine light. And since I put it down to stock height with 17" wheels and stock od tires I now get 21 mpg with about 70% highway and 30% city. Best $800 motor ever lol.

Hey just a short confidence booster i useed a 08 ranger fx4 sohc in my 99 ex!!! 8k miles and she goes awesome!!!

I have had my Mustang replacement sitting in my shop for a while now,
I figured I would wait till my chains finally went but after 50k miles of rattling around (engine has 161k now)they are still hanging on however I will get it done this winter when its too cold to be out on the boat..I am also taking out the front diff and transfer case and going to 2x transmission , I figure losing 300-400 pounds of dead weight cant be a bad thing and I already have another 4x4 Sport to play offroad with

Have you found any performance gains at all with the Stang V6 or do the run same as a good running Explorer 4.0

smoother and quieter same power

Oh almost 20k miles since swap!

Sign me up for the Mustang Swap!

I just found an engine and I will have it shipped to me in about a week. Man I can't wait to put the SOHC in my truck!

I have about 20k since the swap. It runs great but I have had a rough idle since I installed the motor and it has no CEL. The motor only had 11k on it when installed so I left the plugs in. Today I pulled a few plugs and they looked really good so I decided not to swap out the plugs. So far I have cleaned and swap MAF sensors, swapped out coil for another known good working coil pack. I have replaced the fuel filter and air filter twice within the last 5k. I am at a loss as to what's causing the rough idle. My next step is to try another PCM and replace the wires (which are only a few months old).

Sorry to hear about your problems. First off the plugs that came in motor are not correct for you truck regardless of what it came out off so get Explorer plugs in it PCM is calibrated for explorer not Mustang.Than look at the front Vibration damper these later engines I have run across the inner part of the damper breaking loose and causing shake.To check with the engine off put your finger threw hole where damper is bolted to crank and see if the inside is loose there is a big cast counter weight rubber mounted in damper these break loose and cause vibration.good luck Mine is smooth as glass and most times it is heard to tell its running its so smooth I now have about 25,000 miles since change over.

Sorry to hear about your problems. First off the plugs that came in motor are not correct for you truck regardless of what it came out off so get Explorer plugs in it PCM is calibrated for explorer not Mustang.Than look at the front Vibration damper these later engines I have run across the inner part of the damper breaking loose and causing shake.To check with the engine off put your finger threw hole where damper is bolted to crank and see if the inside is loose there is a big cast counter weight rubber mounted in damper these break loose and cause vibration.good luck Mine is smooth as glass and most times it is heard to tell its running its so smooth I now have about 25,000 miles since change over.

My first thought was plugs but I went to swap them today and they were totally different. The plugs that I got from Ford for an Explorer were a lot shorter then the plugs that are in there. I was nervous about putting Explorer plugs in there. I thought there was a design change from 01 4.0 engines to 08 4.0 engines requiring the longer plugs. Both engines are supposed to have the same plug gap but the Mustang motor is supposed to have a longer plug for some reason.

I will definately check the damper tomorrow. I would love to put Explorer plugs in there but i am afraid to damage the motor because they are not the correct length if Ford did some design change in the later SOHC motors.

Injectors

Did you use the explorer fuel injectors? I had to remove tbe hard rubber insulatos to fit the mustang head configuration. The extra computer wants the ex injectots. I show pictures in my thread. I also used ex plugs

I used my injectors and had no fitment issues.

the shorter plug is not going to make a difference if it was longer i would see reason for concern remember you put a motor that was for a truck that was 10 years older and that was not supposed to work but it did. over the years alot of things changed including combustion chamber and compression ratio the plug firring higher in this engine with explorer plugs will not change anything that has not been changed by putting the wrong motor in your truck that we all know works well.put the correct plug in and see if it fixes your problem.its not only the length thats different the heat range is wrong

remember mustang set up and computer is for mustang including all parts injectors intake plugs all mustang and now everything should be explorer except engine long block.

Excellent thread. Contemplating do the swap as mine loses oil pressure after warmup (even with mech. gauge).

No good news to report from my swap. I have been chasing down a coolant leak for the past few weeks. It was coming from the top of the water pump so I replaced that only to find it still leaking the next day. I removed the intake today to find a pool of coolant under it that looks like it was coming from the left head area. I am waiting for my friend to return my pressure tester later today to confirm the leak. Motor only has about 30k miles.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

retaining most parts from 2005 stang

I know this thread is old but ahh what the heck, worth a shot.

I have a 1994 explorer and shes starting to reach her expiration date, and i also have 2005 v6 mustang 5spd that is totaled and im trying to sell for parts.

What would be some reasons not to keep all of the mustangs accessories, intake manifold, ecu, etc etc... for the swap, i have everything from the mustang that i would need? i have an aftermarket throttle body, CAI and Dyno tune. And if do this swap id get a full explorer exhaust setup.

any comments would be greatly appreciated!

Ps, ive only 2 swaps before and they were easy same engine swaps. so please forgive me if i sound ignorant.

Back