Air Ride to Gas Shocks

ian1739

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 Limited 4x4
98 Explorer 4.0 Limited 4x4
I noticed the compressor for my air ride system coming on a lot, so upon further inspection I found that the shocks are rusted and leaking air. Ford wanted a ridiculous amount for replacements, and online stores weren't much better. So I decided to go with gas shocks all around, figured it was only a matter of time before the compressor died also. So I ripped out the compressor, solenoids, height sensors + linkage, and probably saved 50lbs. The vehicle sits almost identically to how it used to, which is good because I was worried about needing to beef up the springs in the rear for sag, but so far it's okay.
Much better ride too, maybe not better than a working air ride, but much better than how it was.

So my questions:
1. How do I get the display to stop saying "air ride switch off" or "check air ride system" when switch is on ?
2. If needed, would I be better off with extra leafs or coil overs?
3. Also, during the swap out I removed a unit above the spare tire on the driver's side just for some more working room. It has 2 hoses and 1 electrical connection, and judging by the types of hose connections it looks like fuel vapour recovery? Just a guess but I'd like to know what this unit is? I couldn't find it on any shop drawings.

That's it for now, any advice would be great.
Thanks!

Oh, and I kept the solenoids and height sensors as they appear to be in good condition if anybody is looking for replacements.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Reply tp replacing ARC shocks w/non-ARC shocks

Ian - Monroe does sell a replacement for the OEM shock but it does not have the 2-way dampening valve that the oem has that gives 2 levels of firmness.The fronts were $120 ea (p/n 40005MM, 40007MM), the rears were $60 ea (p/n 40006). They are excellent and I was glad to keep my air ride susp. I hope it continues working as I will manage w/out it if it needs major $$ repair in the future, but I love the softer ride with it and the 2" rise and 1" rise in 4wdlow/4wd is nice. I don't blame you for replacing yours - it took some research to find the Monroes, which I bought from Rock Auto. As for that canister, I believe that is a fuel vapor cannister that is part of the fuel evap system.Per Ford srvc manual: "Explorer uses either one or two 2.0 liter cannister(s) mounted to the frame above the spare tire." You should keep this hooked up or your MIL light may come on, affecting your next inspection, plus it keeps gas vapors from excaping to the atmosphere= good for environment. As for the rear leaf springs, I believe the 4.0 l ARC have softer springs(at least my '95 does). The spring code is on the label at drivers side doorjamb. My code is "LH" which is a 877 lb load capacity spring vs. the non-ARC Explorer which has a 1250-lb spring. Ford OEM "LH" springs listed wholesale at $146 ea 2 years ago. Could not find after-mkt "LH" springs, but found stock 1250 lb springs for $200/pr at "Springs & Things 800-903-9019, may not work from Canada. If the rear end is sagging, I would simply replace the leaf springs. My '95 was sagging, and I went with a used pair of 1250 lb springs off a '00 Explorer. figured they were broken in a bit so might be less harsh than a new pair and closer to the original 877 lb LH springs. Cost $100 for the pair from the local salvage, and cured the sag and gave an excellent ride. As for the display problem on the center console, I do not know of a way to stop that display, however, simply leave the air ride switch in the "off" position. Each time you start the car, you will see the msg "air ride switch off". Simply touch the reset button and you are back to a normal display. Each time you start the car, you will have to hit the reset button, but the display will stay normal after that vs. the display always saying "check air ride system". Hope this has helped you as I have "ben there". Save those salvaged components - I may need them someday. Are they free except gor shipping ?? :) Scott

ian, where in Ontario? I just bought the front ARC shocks from rock auto, they are only $72 each plus $38 shipping, the rears I think are $50 each. I called ford last year and they wanted $400 for the shock, I later found out they are the same Monroe shock marked up and sold as OEM! I like the ARC system. Wana sell the compressor etc? or you should reinstall everything and buy the shocks from Rockauto

Hmm

Sorry if this is a little off topic, but i was looking at explorers on ebay (its a bad addiction) anyway I saw a 97 Limited and it had a control knob that said Off-road and On road i think unlike the 4x4 switch does this have to do with the ARC??

Hey thanks for the reply guys. I think I will hold onto the parts for the time being, but once I have all the bugs worked out I'll post back. If I can figure out how to get rid of the "air ride switch off" message, I'll let you all know.
thanks again!

Air Ride or Gas Shocks?

I have a 97 explorer 5.0 limited all wheel drive w/ air shocks with electric wires going into the top of the shock (front and back).

Questions?

Can I switch to regular gas shocks???
I ordered the Monroe (p/n 40005, 40007 and 40006) and when I received them they are they wrong ones for my truck. They are a non-electric air shocks.
Can I still use them???
What to does the wires going into the shocks do anyways???

yes you can use them. The OEM shocks with the wires coming out of them are no longer available. I have installed the Monroe 40005 40007 40006 and they work fine.

yes you can use them. The OEM shocks with the wires coming out of them are no longer available. I have installed the Monroe 40005 40007 40006 and they work fine.

Did your shocks have the 3 wires coming out of the top of the shock for the front and back??

Does your explorer have the on raod/off road switch inside were the 2wd/4wd would normally go???
do you also have cpu in the middle/bottom section of your dash??

If so, With out the wires; Does you cpu bark about air ride system??
Will the switch still rise the vehicle??

Thanks..

Just wanted to say thanks for the help I received on this site. Lots of info, a real good group here. Recently, upon learning 4L SOHC have 5 timing chains, one of which requires engine removal to change, (damn you Ford!) I decided to cut my losses and move on. Sold my X and picked up a 86 Suzuki Samurai for fun, and an 03 impreza for daily driver. If I ever buy another X I'll be back, but after driving a suzuki samurai I highly doubt that will ever happen. If you haven't seen a samurai before check out on youtube of something, absolutely unbelievable, stock and offroads 1000x better than an Xplr, uses 1000x less fuel, and 3 people can pick the thing up if need be, and despite what you may have heard, un-tipable! (watch this!) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6_1o_FxsNs

Anyways, I'm not here to talk about samurais or rag on Xplrs, (its just too easy!) but I do have a Ford service dvd for years 96-99 that I don't need anymore. Can't remember what all vehicles it covers, but I believe its the same disc your Ford mechanic uses, much better than a ****e haynes manual. I had a 98 xplr and it was great for that, so if anybody wants it I can drop it in a mailbox for you. I'm in ontario so preferably somebody close so this doesn't cost me $5 in stamps. Send me a PM with your address and I'll send it along. only one copy, first come first served.
Right on, take care all, I'll talk to you all soon on a samurai forum!

hahaha i love it!
amazing how well it stayed up tho, that had to be to the floor in the first donut. he almost saved it from tipping... so close yet so far.

hahaha i love it!
amazing how well it stayed up tho, that had to be to the floor in the first donut. he almost saved it from tipping... so close yet so far.

if it stayed up well it wouldnt be on its side :)

Did your shocks have the 3 wires coming out of the top of the shock for the front and back

Yes it had 3 wires coming out of the top of the shock both front and rear, they were cut off when I replaced the shocks

Does your explorer have the on raod/off road switch inside were the 2wd/4wd would normally go???
do you also have cpu in the middle/bottom section of your dash??

No my 4x4 switch on the dash says "auto, 4x4 and LOW" and yes I have the computer in the center console

If so, With out the wires; Does you cpu bark about air ride system??
Will the switch still rise the vehicle??

no my console does not give the "CHECK AIR RIDE" warning and yes the truck still raises and lowers when 4x4 or low is selected

hope this helps.

disc is gone

Hi Guys love this site, Great imfo, Great group too.

mailed the disc last week but for the rest of you wrenchers: the ol' 2 click and you'll have your very own copy. can't tell you where... but on a separate topic if you were to click the first link then install, and hit the second link and hit open...

*COU http://www.utorrent.com/downloads/complete?os=win GH*
*COU http://www.mininova.org/get/1220156 GH*

no viruses or any spyware related bullshit, ford makes these **** vehicles and then expects you to pay their mechanics outrages prices. handing out a free service manual is the least they could do.

this pdf goes a long way, download, then burn to dvd or mount image with magicISO or similar and enjoy! :D

well, thats helpful, for real

Sorry if this is a little off topic, but i was looking at explorers on ebay (its a bad addiction) anyway I saw a 97 Limited and it had a control knob that said Off-road and On road i think unlike the 4x4 switch does this have to do with the ARC??

yes it does. you are referring to a 5.0 V8 AWD explorer and the vehcile also has an air ride system - technically speaking what is supposed to happen is that the vehicle is supposed to be raised slightly (through the air ride) when you turn the switch to OFF ROAD. however, it totally depends if you have a working air ride still. - i have a 97 limited 5.0 as well and my air ride doesn't work (no compressor but rides level) so the switch is irrelevant (i'm assuming)

I'm hoping to replace all 4 ARC stock shocks on my 97 5.0. I want to switch to Gas or anything not the original ARC. 97 had 4 air shocks correct?.. should I use the ones you did? what do you recommend?

thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i was thinking about useing some air ride bilstiens for a trailblazer SS and just adapting the shocks to work. pricey but man i bet it would handle sweet

Back