Single Pop sound when turning right | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Single Pop sound when turning right

BWheetley

Reaction score
City, State
Fayetteville, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Sport Trac 4x4
I have an 02 ST :exp: with 150k miles on it. I am getting a single pop sound when the steering wheel is turned right between 1/2 way to full. It is only a single pop and does not always do it. It doesn't matter if I am moving or stationary. It has been doing it for some time, but I've been noticing it more lately. I recently installed new upper and lower ball joints, front shocks, and inner and outer tie rod ends. I'm going to double check all those tonight to make sure nothing has loosened up on me. Any ideas of what else it could be? Thanks in advance! :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

:rolleyes: Forgot to mention... it is a 4x4 model.

Being that it happens when stationary I lean toward the tie rod ends, while your checking eveything also check the hub assemblies for play and the hub nut to make sure it's completely tight.

Finished checking things out. Didn't find anything obviously wrong except the rubber boots that cover the inner tie rod ends had come loose from the rack and pinion. I put them back on and tightened the zip ties a lot more this time. Of course I couldn't get the pop sound while the truck was in the air. I rotated the wheel while it was in the air to see if I could hear the CV joint making any noise... nadda there. I will test drive tomorrow and see what happens.

Probably a front axle CV joint.

Yeah. I'm wondering if that is it. The boots on the CV joints are not cracked. If I were to break the clamp and check it, would a visual inspection be enough to tell if it's the culprit? When I drove it this morning it is still doing it.

So I finally found out what the cause of the sound was. Apparently when I had the alignment done, they did not fully tighten the upper control arm bolts. When I would turn the control arm would shift and that was causing the pop. After tightening them, the sound is gone.

My right rearmost upper control arm bolt backed out 1/8", didn't affect the alignment because of the flat sided camber bolt.
Had a surprisingly loud clunk when hitting small bumps and turning right, at low speeds. Loctite and retorqued to 98 ft/lb Silent.

That was the exact same one loose on mine!

So I finally found out what the cause of the sound was. Apparently when I had the alignment done, they did not fully tighten the upper control arm bolts. When I would turn the control arm would shift and that was causing the pop. After tightening them, the sound is gone.

Thats why I hate it when I have to have someone else work on my vehicles.

Mine has been doing the same thing and i also have brand new front end components. I had a few people tell me it was because my body mounts are so deteriorated. Its the only answer ive gotten so far from about three different mechanics.

They could be right or they see an opportunity for a big ticket repair.

You should probably replace those either way. Any questions, check out GSEBrent's posts about the body mounts, they're everywhere. :D

Yeah my mounts are badly deteriorated too. I have not dropped the money for them yet, but getting ready to soon. Darn Ford parts are so pricey! Ugh.

Back