Explorer A-Pillar Rattle/Noise | Page 23 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Explorer A-Pillar Rattle/Noise

OK... here we go again... I traded in my Black 2011 (with all the issues..too many to list), and got a 2012 white limited. All the issues I had with my 2011 seem to have been rectified. The ONLY issue so for is the A Pillar! My new truck was build 1st week in September and it has the same o'l rattle.

At what point will Ford just replace this piece as a recall and change the moulding to metal???

All this talk about caulking it closed is not the answer in my mind. What if you need to replace the windshield?? Then what??

Anyway, FORD... FIX HIS PROBLEM ALREADY!!!!!!

Cory, let us know what's happening here as there is not a single new Ford Ex that I have seen where this isn't an issue. Not one..

thanks,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

OK... here we go again... I traded in my Black 2011 (with all the issues..too many to list), and got a 2012 white limited. All the issues I had with my 2011 seem to have been rectified. The ONLY issue so for is the A Pillar! My new truck was build 1st week in September and it has the same o'l rattle.

At what point will Ford just replace this piece as a recall and change the moulding to metal???

All this talk about caulking it closed is not the answer in my mind. What if you need to replace the windshield?? Then what??

Cory, let us know what's happening here as there is not a single new Ford Ex that I have seen where this isn't an issue. Not one..

thanks,

Agreed, they had my Explorer for 4 days before they finally fixed it. Unfortunately after a month the rattle has returned, although it is much more infrequent than before. I was told that Ford would provide a rental during the repair, but when I was reviewing last months credit card statement there is a $100 charge from the rental car company. I am still trying to get an answer from the dealer on that one.

Even if properly installed, the external applique seems to work itself loose over time. I'm convinced that the issue WILL NEVER BE FIXED until the A-Pillar is completely redesigned. I've had mine repaired twice by different dealers, and yet I still have the issue. Bad job Ford.

I thought that I was one of the lucky ones who didn't have this problem. I purchased my 2011 LTD in May and didn't have any issue for 10k miles. However, a couple of weeks ago I began to hear a whistle coming from the A-Pillar. As of this morning (approaching 12k miles now) the rattling has begun. :thumbdwn:

thanks,

i would LOVE for this to be recalled and replaced with a metal A Pillar.

At this point I would accept 5 screws, it might not look as good, but it would hold.

A-Pillar fixed

Finally got the issue resolved. While speaking to the service advisor last week he told me that they had been taking my car for drives in the 40-50 MPH range. Last week, after I commented that I was changing horrid little Chevy Aveo I had for a rental in for something that MOVED when I put my foot on the excellorator, the advisor figured out that I drive FAST. (Even though I told them it always makes noise on the 70+ MPH toll-road...) He loaded a mechanic in the passenger seat and took her out for a 70+ test drive and guess what! The A-Pillar started to make noise and the mechanic noticed the plastic trim shaking in the wind.

So, A-Pillar is fixed, took her on a trip to Houston over the weekend with decent wind and NO NOISE!!!!!

BTW, reading the comments about the service bulletin was of great benefit. The service advisor commented about my knowledge of the bulletin and they turned to that for assistance in narrowing down the issue. So, for all you who continue to have A-Pillar issues, mention the service bulletin. Lets the dealer you know what you are talking about (Is especially helpful for us women...)

For those experiencing this,

I want to post here on the most recent page. I can help by forwarding the details to the Customer Service Manager in your region. If you haven’t done so already, please send a PM with your mileage, VIN, contact information, and dealer state/name.

Cory

Thanks Cory, I have appointment with the dealer next week, has any one post pics of the A pillar caps and any tech issues found in the manufacturing of said items. I have noticed a few different things while washing my x a few times a week ( this will wear off soon,lol). The rubber gasket, and how it is installed look different from each other? Right is different from the left? I'm going to be there when the dealer removes the part, inquiring minds want to know.

Thanks Cory, I have appointment with the dealer next week, has any one post pics of the A pillar caps and any tech issues found in the manufacturing of said items...
It’s great you have an appointment with your dealer. I’m not a technician, so I’m not familiar with the repair process. I can arrange for a call from the Customer Service Manager in your region. I already have your VIN, so drop a line via PM with your contact information, approximate mileage, and dealer name/state.

Cory

Hi Cory:

I'm also having the A pillar noise. The noise is a high frequency flapping noise that starts at 110 km/h (70 mph).

However, when I brought the SUV to the dealer they said that the TSB didn't apply to my vehicle.

The other problem I'm having is the vehicle is extremely noisy in the rain.

Date: 06/11

Will do Cory when I return back from our trip. Thank you as always.

PnJ

Just picked up my 2012 Limited with 302A and dual moonroof yesterday. So far so good on the A pillars, but I've only had the Ex up to 50 mph. So this is not a valid test yet. I've seen on this forum that the problem may develop after a few hundred miles. So time will tell.

I checked the A pillars and gaskets VERY closely before accepting the Ex and they appeared to be installed tightly and very snug. Everything else appears to be built well also. No misaligned hatch, doors, bumpers, etc.

...I'm also having the A pillar noise. The noise is a high frequency flapping noise that starts at 110 km/h (70 mph)...
Dannyinottawa,

I don’t want these noises to dampen your spirits. I recommend calling the Ford of Canada Customer Relationship Center @ 1-800-565-3673 and explain what you’re experiencing.

Will do Cory when I return back from our trip. Thank you as always.

PnJ
Great; enjoy the rest of your trip! :)

Cory

Count me in now also... 2012 Limited built in September. 600 miles and the noise is there. Not looking forward to dealing with service writers... Maybe I'll deal with it for a while and see if a recall or clear TSB becomes available..

Those of you who hear the wind whistle that sounds like it is coming from the top of the windshield- has anyone been successful in diagnosing where exactly it is coming from? I've put gasket sealant all around the top of the windshield and I still get the whistle. I've put electrical tape across the top of the windshield and down both a-pillars and I still hear the whistle. Is it possible that it is actually coming from the bottom of the windshield or even somewhere else?

DANG IT! I took the explorer on a 200+ mile trip last week and thought that I might have heard some weird wind noise coming from that location. Took the same trip this week and it started to sound louder and louder, then my wife said do you hear that flapping. I immediately knew it wasn't in my head.

2012 built end of August beginning of September.

Cory I'm sending you my information, but can I just take it to my dealer or do you have to make contact first?

Count me in now also... 2012 Limited built in September. 600 miles and the noise is there...
dutchman71,

I’m available to help by sending the details to the Customer Service Manager in your area. I have your VIN from tracking, so please send me your contact information, approximate mileage, and dealer name/state.

...Cory I'm sending you my information, but can I just take it to my dealer or do you have to make contact first?
Woolaroc,

You can definitely go to your dealer first if that’s what you choose to do. :)

Cory

Hey guys,

Wife and I picked up our EX last friday! Taking it on the highway at speeds around 60-70 mph we've been hearing a certain wind noise from the driver's side a pillar. Kinda annoying but nothing a radio can't handle. However, we still would like to get this looked at. I really don't want to read 19 pages of posts, is there a TSB for this issue yet?

...Taking it on the highway at speeds around 60-70 mph we've been hearing a certain wind noise from the driver's side a pillar. Kinda annoying but nothing a radio can't handle. However, we still would like to get this looked at...
Congrats on picking up your Explorer, aepilot. :) Yes, there is a repair the dealers are aware of. I have your VIN from tracking, so send a PM if you’d like me to arrange a call from the Customer Service Manager in your region. Be sure to include your contact information, mileage, and dealer name/state.

Cory

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Woolaroc,

You can definitely go to your dealer first if that’s what you choose to do. :)

Cory

Cory,

What is easier? If I go to my dealer will they have any idea what I am talking about, or is it better if Ford Customer Srvc calls first?

Back