Oil Change interval | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Oil Change interval

On a side note...I purchased (probably stupidly, but whatever) a maintenance service plan from Ford. I don't recall getting much, if any, documentation for this. How often do these plans allow for things like routine oil changes? Something tells me that if I tried to take it in every 2500 miles for a free oil change they'll not cover it. Anyone have experience with these.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Did the first one at the 1,000 mile mark.

Great advice, except for this. I've noticed several threads on here about changing the factory oil early. Total waste of time, money, and natural resources. This is an urban legend...an old wives tale....

Car manufacturers haven't used "break in" oil in a very long time. The factory fill is plain, old standard bulk oil. Some use synthetic, some use dino. Regardless, it's good until the first normally scheduled service, or until the oil monitoring system says it's time. The notion that there are metal particles from the manufacturing process that need to come out simply isn't true.

Great advice, except for this. I've noticed several threads on here about changing the factory oil early. Total waste of time, money, and natural resources. This is an urban legend...an old wives tale....

Car manufacturers haven't used "break in" oil in a very long time. The factory fill is plain, old standard bulk oil. Some use synthetic, some use dino. Regardless, it's good until the first normally scheduled service, or until the oil monitoring system says it's time. The notion that there are metal particles from the manufacturing process that need to come out simply isn't true.

Never heard off "break in oil" or metal particles. Have heard of minute levels of fuel and combustion gas that can contaminate oil. It happens until piston rings seat.

Never heard off "break in oil" or metal particles. Have heard of minute levels of fuel and combustion gas that can contaminate oil. It happens until piston rings seat.

I've heard that too, however the rings seat on modern engines in less than 100 miles. "Minute" is the key...I doubt it's enough to warrant concern.

On a side note...I purchased (probably stupidly, but whatever) a maintenance service plan from Ford. I don't recall getting much, if any, documentation for this. How often do these plans allow for things like routine oil changes? Something tells me that if I tried to take it in every 2500 miles for a free oil change they'll not cover it. Anyone have experience with these.
If you’d like information on what’s included with your Premium Maintenance Plan, you can go to Owner.Ford.com > Warranty & Service Plans > Premium Maintenance Plan. There are different intervals for the plans and because I have your Explorer’s info from other messages, feel free to PM me if you’d like me to research your plan’s info!

Cory

You are correct, they will not cover the oil change early, only when required.

I never mentioned a "break in" oil. You did. Have you ever seen a Used Oil Analysis (UOA) Report? Ever done one? Sent your oil in for a report? Untill you have, please save your silly and uneducated comments about "urban legend" and "old wives tale" to yourself.

A $60 (or in some cases a +$250) dollar oil change is peanuts compared to the replacement cost and benefit of a healthy engine, that could have the replacement costs that exceed $25K (in some of my cases).

To each their own.

I never mentioned a "break in" oil. You did. Have you ever seen a Used Oil Analysis (UOA) Report? Ever done one? Sent your oil in for a report? Untill you have, please save your silly and uneducated comments about "urban legend" and "old wives tale" to yourself.

A $60 (or in some cases a +$250) dollar oil change is peanuts compared to the replacement cost and benefit of a healthy engine, that could have the replacement costs that exceed $25K (in some of my cases).

To each their own.

Yup...Blackstone...used them for years. So, I'm serious and educated. Perhaps a little time on the BITOG site will educate you.

Pure drama queen stuff.....

Yup...Blackstone...used them for years. So, I'm serious and educated. Perhaps a little time on the BITOG site will educate you.

So what have your 1,000 mile UOA's told you? Have you ever done one? Your continued comments suggest you have not done this? So you're saying your years of UOA's don't support doing an early oil change, on that very first one?

To each its own on oil changes.
Sorry for the thread jack, but I have a 4oz container of LL-5 @ camshaft & lifter prelube. I apply it on the camshaft/lifters after doing a top end/valve job. Then I change the oil after 500 miles-

What Kind of Oil Change Intervals are You Guys Running With Oil Life Monitor ?

I'm just curious what kind of oil change intervals you guys have been getting going by the oil life monitor ?. My dealer pre-booked my first oil change at 10,000 kms (about 6300 miles). Right now I have about 2500 kms and the oil life reading is 85%. My driving is mixed city/highway about 50-50 split, cool fall temps with winter approaching.

I'm looking to change to a full synthetic 5w20 on my next oil fill, just in time for the harsh winter months. Thanks for any replies on this.

I get mine done every 8 thousand km. May go over a.little. never gets past 10 k. I like keeping it as to what the dealer says. That goes for.all maintenance. I even get them to detail it for me. Twice a year. Inside and out. Keep all my receipts as well. When I need warranty work done there is never a question asked.

Thanks Chimoman, I'll see how my oil life monitor goes, I may do my first oil change a bit earlier around the 8000 km mark, and before the 10,000 km mark.

When my wife picked up her new X, I specifically asked the dealer when it has to come back for its first service. Their response was "Not until the car tells you it needs service". Well, the car has 7,400 km on it and the computer say oil life is at 58%.

My question now is when will it tell me? At this rate it looks like 0% would be at 15,000 km. I wonder, what sort of safety factor is built in?

I come from the old school where you change oil religiously at 5,000 km but on this, I'm willing to see when the notification kicks in.

Al

The service guy changing the oil on my Explorer says that the oil life monitor takes everything into account from idling, which speeds your driving, how much your accelerating, etc to calculate the life of the oil. My oil life monitor was at 50% when I went in for an oil change last week at 5,000 miles. I had it changed at 1,000 miles as well.

You program the notice of oil life left on the screen, we recommend scheduling the announcement on 20% of useful life for change

Every 5 to 6k mls.

since I purchase my vehicles and keep for many years, I never go past 5K miles for oil change.
If I was leasing, then yes, I would go by the oil indicator monitor, even it it meant every 10K miles:p:

Every 5 k, you want to know early on if there are any issues. I'm old school.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Every 5 k, you want to know early on if there are any issues. I'm old school.

Yes I asked my dealer the same thing and the response was " wait until the car tells you"
I'm old school and I normally change oil and filter between 5 and 7K

I was always told oil is the cheapest thing you can do to maintain your engine life so change it often

With that said how many are going by the computer and how many are sticking to their own sched? As well do you recommend regular oil, semi synth or full synth what are the pros and cons when it comes to the new EX

Thanks in advance

Back