• Register Today It's free!

Another Tranny ?

stuartr

Reaction score
City, State
Richlands, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Mercury Mountaineer
I have a 02 Mounty with a v6 AWD and it feels like when I go up a steep grade and get on it pretty good that it is hesitating. I am pretty sure it is the tranny not the motor cause it is still holding RPMs and running smooth. It seems like it is when it kicks down gears the most. Not like a hard shift kinda after it shifts. You can feel it on level ground as well but not as much you have to get in it much harder there. If you just gradually accel. up a grade it is barely noticable if any at all. I was just wondering if anyone could tell me what it may be doing. I have searched on here and couldn't find anything that matched the problem I am having. Thanks for your help.
Stu

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Nobody?

Get the computer codes read and see what they say.

I wanted to help but I got hung up on the apparent contradiction between "hesitating" and "running smooth". Can you provide more details or clarify?

What I meant is the motor is not missing appears to be the tranny! Sorry for the confusion. Today it kinda jumped when it changed gears also. I think something is going out just not sure where to start.
Stu

I had a problem like that once. It never happened when I was cruising, but as soon I stepped on it, it would buck and hesitate. I replaced the plugs and wires and it never did it again.

Back