When do you need trailer brakes? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

When do you need trailer brakes?

Hello--I might buy a custom travel trailer with a truck axle and heavy springs. I would like to tow 4000lb plus the trailer. So figure around 4400lb total. My explorer has a towing capacity of 5680lb. One of my concerns is stopping safely. Even though my truck can tow that trailer, can it stop it? Is there a weight threshold that suggest it might be a good idea to have electric brakes? Thank you.

Leo

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Trailer brakes are always a good idea- no matter the weight. It's just that the lighter weight trailers, the benefit isn't as great as heavier trailers.

Your Explorer should be able to pull and stop that load without problems- trailer brakes will only help and will shorten the overall stopping distance.

I tow a roughly 2500 lb popup trailer and there have been times that I wished I had trailer brakes. I haven't hit anything, but if someone in front of you does something and your focus isn't on them, that following gap closes quickly and could catch you off guard.

Hello--I might buy a custom travel trailer with a truck axle and heavy springs. I would like to tow 4000lb plus the trailer. So figure around 4400lb total. My explorer has a towing capacity of 5680lb. One of my concerns is stopping safely. Even though my truck can tow that trailer, can it stop it? Is there a weight threshold that suggest it might be a good idea to have electric brakes? Thank you.
Leo
Your 5680 towing capacity is only fully usable when you have an empty Explorer (plus the driver). Just remember that for every pound of passenger or cargo in the Explorer, you towing capacity goes down by the same amount. You are probably OK (unless you have more than 1280 lbs of people and cargo to put in the truck), but just be aware. You probably have a 10,000 lb combined vehicle weight, so you could check total weights, too. Theoretically, the numbers should work out the same by either method.

Regarding brakes:
1. According to Page 12 of the 2002 Ford Towing Guide:
https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/rv_trailer_towing/2002/2002_All.pdf
...Ford notes that many state laws require trailer brakes for trailer weighing 1500 lbs or more when loaded. That is certainly your case. They also highly recommend a functional brake system for any towed vehicle.

2. You should pull out your Explorer owners manual. You will find other recommendations/requirements for trailer brakes.

3. As a brake engineer for the past 19 years, here is my opinion regarding recommended vs required:
a. GVWR = maximum weight rating of your Explorer...look it up (6400 lbs?)
b. GCVWR = maximum combined weight of truck & trailer...look it up (10,000 lbs?)
c. GCVW = ACTUAL combined weight of truck & trailer (you need to determine)

The Explorer's brakes (as are any vehicle, really) were designed to stop the truck at it's GVWR, but NOT at it's GCVWR. Even the HD towing package does not change a thing about the brakes on most vehicles.

So, if you have a small enough trailer that your combined weight is less than your GVWR (6400 lbs?), then I would say trailer brakes are recommended (as does Ford...see #1). If your combined weight is greater than GVWR, then trailer brakes are required. You definitely fall into my definition of "required".

In short, the vehicle's brakes are designed to handle payload, but not any significant trailering loads beyond payload weight.

You can do all the numbers. It still comes down to all states you would be towing in, if the trailer has brakes, you must have them in service. If your trailer has brakes, it also has to have a service-able breakway battery pack. Here in Delaware just recently a trailer with mowing equipment, no brakes, got away from the tow vehicle killed some people.

get and use brakes when ever possible! legally, in PA any trailer with a registered weight (listed on the registration card) is 3000lbs or more MUST have brakes. trailer with brakes must work properly, and have a working break-away kit.

edit: this is my 1000th post lol

get brakes!

I was driving on the freeway at 65 mph pullling a 24 foot, 4500 lb travel trailer when a deer jumped out of the woods onto the freeway in my path. I performed a full panic stop with no problems because I had trailer brakes and a controller that measured deceleration. Otherwise the trailer would have probably flipped my vehicle. Sometimes leaving a gap between vehicles doesn't help. Get brakes!

I was driving on the freeway at 65 mph pullling a 24 foot, 4500 lb travel trailer when a deer jumped out of the woods onto the freeway in my path. I performed a full panic stop with no problems because I had trailer brakes and a controller that measured deceleration. Otherwise the trailer would have probably flipped my vehicle. Sometimes leaving a gap between vehicles doesn't help. Get brakes!

i was pulling my 21' loaded up with something....cant remeber but im sure i was rather heavy lol, anyway its got tandem 3500 lbs with brakes on both, i had the brake controller maxed at 99%. i was on the interestate cruising at 65, crested a hill and everyone was stopped for an accident that just happened. i dropped it down into 2nd and did emergency braking and if that left lane wasnt open there would have been a second accident lol... :roll:

so sometimes even the trailer brakes arent enough to stop you in all situations, i cant stress brakes enough - especially with a truck that has a hard enough time just stopping itself, let alone an additional 5000lb trailer

Don't get me wrong about the math. Like I said in my first point, brakes are recommended anytime. But for anyone interested in a good line to draw between "recommended" and "required", I was offering my thoughts.

To me, they are always recommended. They are required if the total weight exceeds the tow vehicle GVWR. My truck has 6400 lbs GVWR. If I were towing a little trailer such that total combined weight is only 6000 lbs, I would not say that trailer brakes are "required". That would mean that the brakes are not sized to handle 6000 lbs of weight. Would trailer brakes help? Sure! Recommended, but not required.

Recommended, but not required.

a 6000lb trailer would be required to have brakes by law. on small trailers it does vary by state, ill try to find the chart i found that lists all state laws in regards to weight/brakes

a 6000lb trailer would be required to have brakes by law. on small trailers it does vary by state, ill try to find the chart i found that lists all state laws in regards to weight/brakes

He was talking COMBINED weight... not trailer weight!

Leo

heres a chart in reference to state laws regarding brake requirements. remember, even tho you must follow PA laws, you would also want to be legal in you travel in other states, as their law would also apply... the odds of getting caught no having brakes is slim... but you never know lol. PA requires any trailer with a GVRW of 3000lbs or more to have brakes, this means atleast one set of working brakes, as well as brake controller in the truck, and a brake away kit on the trailer. trailers over 3k also require an annual inspection just like a vehicle.

http://www.roadkingtrailers.com/MAINTENANCE.htm

is the trailer you are looking at already registered? its kinda hard to get the weight rating changed after its already registered, so if its home-built make sure its registered to the weight you want it as well as road legal.

Thanks

I didn't realize when I posted my question that I would receive such thoughtful replies. Thanks everybody for your very interesting feedback. It certainly opened my eyes to towing safety.

I didn't realize when I posted my question that I would receive such thoughtful replies. Thanks everybody for your very interesting feedback. It certainly opened my eyes to towing safety.

speaking of towing safety... i was on my way home this morning and see a SRW dod** 1500 pick up pulling a small tandem axle trailer - with the old mobile home style rims - hauling a...... bulldozer on it - yes a bulldozer.... rear end was sitting on the bump stops and had but one functional tail light and it was even legally chained down..... stay away from this kinda towing and you should be fine hahahahaha [/end pointless short story]

Back