• Register Today It's free!

Help needed! Thanks!

kritacal88

Reaction score
City, State
Sacramento California
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 xlt
got a few issues today. overdrive off light keeps flashing. temp gauge says engine cold and heater doesn't work. any suggestions? thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

O/D OFF light flashing means transmission trouble codes need to be read. Do not continue to drive. Temp gauge may be a stuck thermostat or a bad sending unit.

^^^ what he said.

If your heater isn't blowing any warm air, I would also look at the coolant level, and the heater control valve. Are you getting warm hoses?

ok so i disconnected my battery to reset the o/d light .. it was fine but then when i drove it past forty mph the light started blinking again..so confused..it never did this before.. and could no thermostat cause the heater to be not hot?because that was the problem in my camry. but then the camry temp gauge was at normal...:mad:

and my bro-in law hooked up the obd and no codes popped up

and my bro-in law hooked up the obd and no codes popped up

Might want to try a different scanner. Transmission codes cannot be read by all scanners.

not sure on transmission issue.

Low temp (had the same issue) - replaced thermostat temp now normal and heat works great, Therm showed no sign of defect in boiling water, replaced anyway.

Heat/No AC or AC/No Heat - either temp damper door control motor has broken gear(like mine) or Top of Door post broken.

I replaced my therm as I had low temp and weak heat ( my door was stuck in the heat position ) as one of the gears in the drive unit was stripped, I dropped the glove box door and removed the 3 bolts, removed the control unit, opened it up, took out the peice that fits into the top of the damper door and am able to change it from cold/hot (PITA), mostly flapps in the breeze, an open window creates low pressure in the cabin and with the fan off moves to the heat position, I then turn the heat on low and the door stays in the heat position. I plan on replacing the unit when I have a spare $50

are the 95 explorers OBD1 or OBD2?

Back