• Register Today It's free!

Would the switch cause this?

Goonowsky

Reaction score
City, State
Walnut Creek, California
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The dash lights are out and the tail lights. The rear turn signals, and brake lights still work, but the tail lights dont. Are there fuses for just the tail lights? any suggestions please? im tired of gettin fix it tickets

Going by the thread, I'd say it is indeed the switch, since it has multiple contacts for the different lights, and certain ones going out will cause the problem. If nothing else, its an inexpensive way to eliminate a possible cause and not have to worry about the other contacts going in the near future.

i replaced the switch and the lights are still out :(

I would double check all wiring harnesses. Then fuses. Then bulbs. If you don't find it, then it's time to start checking fusible links. Bailey.

The dash lights are out and the tail lights. The rear turn signals, and brake lights still work, but the tail lights dont. Are there fuses for just the tail lights? any suggestions please? im tired of gettin fix it tickets

Yes there are several fuses for the rear lights. Check out Fuse locations for more info.. The link above matches my '93s fuse panel, yours maybe slightly different. What happened when the lights stopped working? Where you working on your car or just driving down the street and they stopped working?

If none of the fuses are blown then maybe both of your rear light bulbs have broken tail light filaments. The rear bulbs have 2 filaments, 1 for parking driving (low), and another for Brake lamps (high). Swamp in a new bulb in one and see if it works.. If you have a volt meter you can test the socket to see if its getting 12v when the parking switch is ON.

#1 Brake lights
#4 Instrument panel illumination
#11 Parking lights, license plate
#13 Directionals/turn lamps.

hey guys, I have the same problem. pull the switch out and only headlights come on. I can push it back in slightly and then the dash/running lights come on. at the first click nothing happens. I swapped out the switch and no fix. I'm starting to blame the auto-lamp circuit and computer.

bump

Most vehicles i have owned the dash light are on the same circuit as the tail lights so you know when you lose tail lights.

Most vehicles i have owned the dash light are on the same circuit as the tail lights so you know when you lose tail lights.

mine is doing the same thing as dzjammer. im at a dead end. i dont know where to go from here

Have any of you all checked the ground(s)?

Seems kinda stupid to ask, but i had a switch problem, swapped it and it went away.

there's power, fuse, and ground.... the only other option if those 3 are good is a broken wire or break in the wire.

I know there are more possibilities than what I listed, but logically speaking that's about the next possible one.

Have any of you all checked the ground(s)?

Seems kinda stupid to ask, but i had a switch problem, swapped it and it went away.

there's power, fuse, and ground.... the only other option if those 3 are good is a broken wire or break in the wire.

I know there are more possibilities than what I listed, but logically speaking that's about the next possible one.

ive tried 3 new switches. they all do the same thing

redneck, if your lights are not coming on at any position of the switch, your problem is not with your switch. What is the condition of the pigtail that plugs into your switch? You have no bad fuses? The sideways facing 30 amp closest to the front of the dash should be the fuse for your dash illumination. Also, there is a 40 amp fuse in the second position in the fuse panel under your hood you need to check.

Does your 94 have daytime running lights? Have you replaced your multi-function switch (turn signal stalk)?

redneck, if your lights are not coming on at any position of the switch, your problem is not with your switch. What is the condition of the pigtail that plugs into your switch? You have no bad fuses? The sideways facing 30 amp closest to the front of the dash should be the fuse for your dash illumination. Also, there is a 40 amp fuse in the second position in the fuse panel under your hood you need to check.

Does your 94 have daytime running lights? Have you replaced your multi-function switch (turn signal stalk)?

fuses are good, no daytime running lights, and the problem im having is when i pull out the switch headlights come on but no dash/tail lights. but if i push the switch back in slightly everything works

That could still be a multifunction switch. The headlight switch and the multifunction switch are 2 of the most common failure points in the electronics of these trucks.

That could still be a multifunction switch. The headlight switch and the multifunction switch are 2 of the most common failure points in the electronics of these trucks.

everything on the multifunction switch works tho

Has anyone found the solution to this problem? I can get all the lights to work, if I pull switch out just right, but not all the way out. If I pull the switch out all the way, the headlights are on, the instrument panel lights go out, and tail/tag lights go out.

Has anyone found the solution to this problem? I can get all the lights to work, if I pull switch out just right, but not all the way out. If I pull the switch out all the way, the headlights are on, the instrument panel lights go out, and tail/tag lights go out.

Replace the switch.

Replace the switch AND the connector. Typically the switches get hot and melt/disfigure the connector. We see this in early 90's Ford's all the time at the shop. If we do a headlight switch, we do the connector. I know on my 93 X when I had it, I replaced two switches, both same problem. Finally looked at the connector and it was all burnt.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The BWD part number for the connector will be a PT767. Oreillys and Advance Auto should both carry/keep it in stock. And SOLDER the wires, crimps suck.

Back