So what is my 2011 Explorer Worth? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

So what is my 2011 Explorer Worth?

spawnman

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 XLT
So the wife and I and considering trading in or selling our 2011 XLT. We just have lost faith in this vehicle being fixed and running as it should. Trying to find values online for a 2011 are proving difficult.

Does anyone have any ideas's as to the trade-in or resell value?

Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

probably at least $10,000 less than what you paid for it.

Mine was $6,500 less on paper but at the dealer it could be 10,000 to 12,000.

Bad thing about NADA is that it doesn't allow you to add all the options mine has. Like the 20" and the inflatable seat belts, etc...
Thanks

Options like this are near worthless on a used vehicle. Your Explorer is worth about 10-12K less than you paid for it.

Watch the classifieds, craigslist and so on. And maybe do an e-bay "watch" on a used explorer that closely matches your vehicle's options. That price should give you a general feel for your vehicle in the current used car market.

in my opinion expect the following:

trade-in loan:
You may take a 5k hit.
Say you paid 36k, they may give you 31k as a trade-in value..and then finance you....and roll the 5k over to the new loan...so that you would carry the 5k over.

trade-in cash:
if you go in with cash, expect to take a 10k hit.

both of these situations have happened to me, and one time to my wife.
these situations can be minimized by your ability to haggle as well.

also, if trading in, they will work with you to sell another vehicle to you, basically moving metal...if they are hurting that particular month.
a good credit score helps as well.

Bad thing about NADA is that it doesn't allow you to add all the options mine has. Like the 20" and the inflatable seat belts, etc...

Thanks

Another bad thing about NADA is that they wont write you a check for the amount they tell you. Dealers go by Galves, so whatever its in the book for is what they'll offer you. If you are trading you'll do better, and if your trading at a ford dealer it will be more than at a non ford dealer.

yep, you best bet will be to take the Ex to a Ford dealer.
Also, another option is to check into the dealer of the car make that you are interested in, and make sure that they have a Ford dealership as well...that way they give you the best trade-in.

For example, you want a Nissan, and that dealer also sells Fords accross town.

Yea, just need to figure out what the wife wants instead of the explorer. Not thinking there is anything else from Ford that she would like. Would be nice to be able to walk into the dealership and say, "well since everything is fixed in the 2012 models, I want to swap my 2011 Explorer for a 2012!"

Options like this are near worthless on a used vehicle. Your Explorer is worth about 10-12K less than you paid for it.

Ditto. Unless you trade it, maybe a 7K difference. Sorry for your bad experience. We love ours.

Go to CARMAX....they'll give you a free quote and buy it from you for that quote without you having to purchase a vehicle from them.

Go to CARMAX....they'll give you a free quote and buy it from you for that quote without you having to purchase a vehicle from them.

....and then bend over, and ask for lube. Carmax will screw ya, and be your lowest offer. But, maybe your fastest payoff.

And what are you going to do when the wife does not like your next purchase?

So the wife and I and considering trading in or selling our 2011 XLT. We just have lost faith in this vehicle being fixed and running as it should. Trying to find values online for a 2011 are proving difficult.

Does anyone have any ideas's as to the trade-in or resell value?

Thanks
FYI, autotrader.com says it has 858 listings for the 2011 Explorer. Keep in mind that if it is a dealership ad, the price shown is their selling price, not what you will get for it. There is even a 2012 listed.

....and then bend over, and ask for lube. Carmax will screw ya, and be your lowest offer. But, maybe your fastest payoff.

I know others have had a bad experience with CarMax, but they gave me $1500 over what I had hoped to get, and my dealer wouldn't touch their offer when I gave them the opportunity to meet it.

So, I would say worth checking out because it is painless and easy.

Goodbye Explorer, Hello Outback!!

Well, we finally had enough. I love Ford, will drive my F150 until it dies, love the Sync in the F150. HATE the MFT in the Explorer, Hate fighting with the wife over why it doesn't work. Hate dealing with the dealership. So we traded it in and got a 2012 Outback. Everything works and now getting 25+ MPG.

Thanks for all the input and I really hope Ford steps up and fixes MFT. I really do like the Explorer, it just wasn't ready for prime time yet.

Good luck all
Spawnman

I have had mixed results at Carmax. Some of their offers have been very good, and some, not so good.

I had my Ford dealership tell me, sometimes Carmax's offers are crazy and they can't come near them. Sometimes, they can.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Figure about $1000 per month of depreciation the first 12-18 months.

Back