• Register Today It's free!

Navigation fault

vegastime

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2011 Explorer
Got this display on my screen today:

Navigation fault

Navigation is not functioning properly. Please contact your dealer for service.

Also, the Sirus was not working properly. I could not use the seek button on the steering wheel to change the stations. I could pick a station from the presets, though. It would then play the proper station, but, the display still showed the old station and song. Would not update to the new station info.

I have had several small glitches and bugs, but, this is the first major one.

The more I use MFT/SYNC and the more I read, this system still needs a lot of work.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

had same problem. my sd card was partially ejected. pushed back in and worked fine.

had same problem. my sd card was partially ejected. pushed back in and worked fine.

Tried that. Did not work.

It is really messed up now.

After backing out of my driveway, the back up camera stayed on for about 30seconds as I was driving forward.

Was going to try to do a master reset, but before I could, my screen went black as I was driving, and will not come back on.

When I turned of the ignition and opened the door to get out, the radio would not turn off. Finally had to just turn the volume down. When I came back a little bit later, it was off. Radio will not turn on at all now.

Guess I will have to take it to the dealer tomorrow. Hope it is a quick easy fix, as I am going out of town Friday.

Dropped it off this morning, and the dealer just called. Told me it was the sync module.

I am guessing this is APIM. Problem is, he said the part may be on back order. He should know for sure, shortly.

I have a trip planned this holiday weekend. Sure hate to travel with no nav, radio, backup camera, etc.

Wow. I wonder who manufactures those modules for Ford- some serious quality control issues.

Mine did that 2 days ago.

Not only did I get the Nav Fault message popping up every few minutes, but also there was an extreme delay on the backup camera engaging when put in reverse and an extreme delay or non-response from the voice command system.

I think (hope) it was just the result of an incomplete nightly reboot that the system does.

I pulled the negative battery lead off the battery for 2 minutes and then reconnected it. Everything went back to normal when the system restarted.

Should this happen again, it's off to the dealer.

Mine started today. What was the fix for you guys?

The fix for mine was a new module after being in the shop for 10 days without a rental car, the new module works WORSE than the old one....back in the shop, been there 15 of the last 23 days

The fix for mine was a new module after being in the shop for 10 days without a rental car, the new module works WORSE than the old one....back in the shop, been there 15 of the last 23 days

That is awful. They couldn't let you drive the X until the part came in? I'm not looking forward to my visit tomorrow.

Looks like I dodged a bullet...for a while. The system maintenance screen came up and once it did its thing, the system was back to normal and no issues with navigation or any other features. Weird.

I don't know if there is a way to force the system maintenance, but perhaps that might help someone else?

Apparently they had to take the part out to mail back to Ford in order to get the new module? I tried to pick it up but they said it was all taken apart and had to wait.

Apparently they had to take the part out to mail back to Ford in order to get the new module? I tried to pick it up but they said it was all taken apart and had to wait.

That is insane. I'd be one pissed off individual if/when that happens to me.

Yes Im pissed, Im working with Ford customer service since this just wont go away. So frustrated, the dealership said since they couldnt get the error message to pop up, even though I have pictures of the error message, that they cant do anything since it doesnt happen during the 10 min they drive the car.

Im am going to tell everyone I run into to NOT buy a Ford Explorer or anything with MFT because the system errors are ridiculous and FORD doesnt seem to care.

I had the exact issues happen with my 2011 limited this past week. Navigation not working. Seek button on steering wheel not working on Sirius channels. I brought it in to the dealer today. I thought this was just a couple of quirky things. I'm surprised that i actually found a thread on this forum after i brought it in. Here's hoping they can fix it when i pick it up later today. will keep you posted.

I had all of the system problems mentioned in this thread. I did a MASTER RESET (which includes system maintenance) and all is well and fixed. I went on a 10 minute test drive as well and no "fault" messages appeared and everything works! Oddly, all my preset stations (both radio and sirius) remained intact. I had to re-connect my phone, however.

I talked to a tech. engineer (family relative) at Ford over Thanksgiving and he informed me that FordSync updates will be sent out shortly. The update will be in the form of a USB stick. Major improvements will result...we'll see.

I had all of the system problems mentioned in this thread. I did a MASTER RESET (which includes system maintenance) and all is well and fixed. I went on a 10 minute test drive as well and no "fault" messages appeared and everything works! Oddly, all my preset stations (both radio and sirius) remained intact. I had to re-connect my phone, however.

I talked to a tech. engineer (family relative) at Ford over Thanksgiving and he informed me that FordSync updates will be sent out shortly. The update will be in the form of a USB stick. Major improvements will result...we'll see.

Apparently this is the fix as it worked on mine too. I spoke with Ford tech support and they were very friendly and helpful and suggested this as a fix for many buggy issues.

Back